Stihl 025 fuel problems

/ Stihl 025 fuel problems #1  

tld

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2025r
I know this is a long shot, but it's worth a try.

I have a 12 year old 025 that might have reached the end of the road.

Last week it became hard to start and was flooding. Letting it sit awhile would get it going. Now, won't start at all. Even without choking it when starting, it floods so bad that fuel will run out of the carb area. I looked up in the carb area but can't see anything wrong, but that doesn't mean much from me.

I would imagine if the carb needed rebuilt, it might be more economical to buy a new one. I do have a project coming up where I will need something dependable for several weeks.

Thanks in advance.

/ Stihl 025 fuel problems #2  
You can rebuild a carb for about $10 in parts/supplies (carb kit and some cleaner). If old fuel or new ethanol fuel was left in too long, something probably got gummed up, or the inlet needle is sticking open or maybe the tip broke off. Or it could simply happen due to age. I'd try to rebuild the carb if you have a few minutes -- it's normally an easy task. Also clean or replace the plug, and check the plug/coil wiring.

Chainsaws can be frustrating when they do this right when you need them, but if you can spare the time to rebuild the carb, you might save the day.

The replacement saw for the 025 was the 250, soon to be replaced by the 251. They are all limited use "50 hour" homeowner saws. If you really want a better saw and can spend the $$, look at the 261. That is a pro saw meant to be used 24x7 if need be.

Good luck!

/ Stihl 025 fuel problems
Thanks. Might try to rebuild....in my spare time.

I looked at the 250 yesterday. Looks nice.

Question: Is a 025 that needs carb rebuild sellable, or just junk?

/ Stihl 025 fuel problems #4  
Any chainsaw with a solid piston, crank, and block will appeal to someone. A carb rebuild is a very minor thing that won't bother people who buy and fixup saws in the least. I sure wouldn't flinch at a carb rebuild if buying a desirable or vintage saw, or even a basic saw for a bargain price. Maybe the biggest problem is that it's a homeowner saw, so it won't attract the real chainsaw nerds. I'm not even sure what a working 025 is worth....

/ Stihl 025 fuel problems #5  
Snap a photo and put it on E-bay. You will get a fair price. I saw one similar that was up to $200.00 at the time. A carb rebuild is fairly simple. Only a couple gaskets and a needle and seat. Can't go together wrong unless you put the gaskets in upside down. I checked with a Stihl dealer and they do not rebuild carbs, they install new ones $89.00 plus labor. Probably cost $175.00 for them to fix it or you would probably get that much to sell it. Good Luck.

/ Stihl 025 fuel problems #6  
Thanks. Might try to rebuild....in my spare time.

I looked at the 250 yesterday. Looks nice.

Question: Is a 025 that needs carb rebuild sellable, or just junk?
It's difficult to find a Stihl chainsaw that had been recently running that's junk.
Definitely don't get rid of it. Buy a new Stihl 261 if you can afford it, or a 290, and fix up th 025.
It's always handy to have 2 saws, so you can get the first one unstuck. (or 2 tractors, two trucks)

/ Stihl 025 fuel problems #7  
30 mins to rebuild the carb. $10 for rebuild kit NOT from a stihl dealer. $20-$25 if you get it from a dealer.
Check and replace if necessary the fuel line, fuel filter, impulse line. Look for tiny webbed cracks in lines that seep on fuel line.

Local I sale brand new looking 025 250 for $150. If they look used $100. I wont pay crap for them on trade ins. Over priced from the factory at $300 new JMO.

/ Stihl 025 fuel problems #8  
Ditto on XYZ123's comments. Fuel lines and a carb kit. If the muffler will come off fairly easy pull it off and clean it out. Don't break the bolts trying though. If you are ambitious drill a few small holes in the baffle if it has one in the muffler. Put all back together. Clean the goobers out of the bar and oil hole. Put on a sharp chain and away you go.