Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

Default Re: Some tree trimmers should be fired

Some folks just got no common sense. I never plant a tree or bush without planning for when it's full-sized. Of course I also don't cut or trim trees without thinking what's likely to happen to them 3 to 5 years down the road. That half tree is going to come down, in bad weather, and block that road. Hopefully it won't fall on anyone driving by, or worse, have someone crash into it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

Quote Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
    You think they trimmed it with one of these?

Attachment 326512

Which hangs from this:

Attachment 326513

This landed in my yard to refuel. Was great fun to watch!
    I worked with those guys when I was working as a utility forester in Indiana. 10- 2 foot circular saw blades, powered by a 45 HP snowmobile engine. the pilot has controls to kill the engine, and to quick drop the whole unit in an emergency. Had to land and refuel every hour and 15 minutes. Could trim 5 miles of power line a day, both sides. Pilots work 10 hours for 10 days, then off for 21 days. The pilot that I worked with made $450 an hour.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

I would hate for one of them saw blades to hit some wire or cable and start flipping around while dangling from the helo-
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYT View Post
    I worked with those guys when I was working as a utility forester in Indiana. 10- 2 foot circular saw blades, powered by a 45 HP snowmobile engine. the pilot has controls to kill the engine, and to quick drop the whole unit in an emergency. Had to land and refuel every hour and 15 minutes. Could trim 5 miles of power line a day, both sides. Pilots work 10 hours for 10 days, then off for 21 days. The pilot that I worked with made $450 an hour.
    The pilot mentioned it's very hard on his neck looking down constantly with the weight of the helmet added in as well. And, of course, it's not cool in the chopper either. It was definitely cool to watch!

Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

I had the tree trimmers do the same thing to a pine in my yard. I ended up talking to the forester, she directed them to cut the tree down. That worked for me. The also trimmed 1 tree, it had 3 trunks, 2 were overhanging the line, they cut those down, but left the one hanging over my garage. I tried to cooperate with them, but the really just don't give a xxxx.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210, John Deere Z820A, John Deere 345

Quote Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
    You think they trimmed it with one of these?

Attachment 326512

Which hangs from this:

Attachment 326513

This landed in my yard to refuel. Was great fun to watch!
    X2 on fun to watch. We watched one just like that in the Cotter, AR area last year. Amazing and frightening at the same time!
    GGB

"We have met the enemy and he is us." -Pogo/Walt Kelly

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

I've experienced multiple situations with tree crews. On the high tension lines running through our property they are generally pretty good about working with us and vice versa since we keep the property mowed under the lines. Along the road though is a different story, again it all depends on the crews. One crew one year dropped a tree for us that was going to fall down anyway. This last year a crew came through trimming again (different crew) and I asked them to top the locust trees along the road and leave it and then it would be manageable for me to take the rest down. They refused. They trimmed the trees and cleared their brush and left. So the locust are still there and a hazard but now only have limbs leaning over our deer pens. They are so close to the wires I am not comfortable running a lift to do it myself and we can't access them from the pens without a lot of extra work.

I've also seen trees get left like the one that was posted at the start of this thread. They are usually left because the homeowners don't want to lose "their" tree and that is when you get these eyesores.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by GGB View Post
    X2 on fun to watch. We watched one just like that in the Cotter, AR area last year. Amazing and frightening at the same time!

They are amazing to watch.....our local electric co. used one on several roads earlier this year. A few times.....he came real close to the line.......but never hit it. They said it was less expensive compared to having their normal tree trimming crew do the work. Funny thing.....the trimming crew were all there watching the helicopter....go figure!!
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it wouldn't make any difference.

Tractor
    1999 Bobcat 763F John Deer 850 Grasshopper 723K H2

Well, at least it probably won't fall on the guys house in a storm. But will catch the other side of the street!

Tractor
    B3200 tlb 149 hrs, Honda Bid Red 2013

Also they can only cut the air rights over the property line, so that may lead to what you see there.
    Honda Big Red MUV
    Honda Fortrax Forman 500
    B3200 TLB
    Land Pride 60 inch BB
    Construction 4 Forks
    60 inch RFM Land Pride
    Land Pride RCR 1860
    Land Pride RTA 1250

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12