LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Was driving around the other day and saw this poor butchered tree:mur:

Just thought I would share

tree.jpgtree1.jpg

/ Some tree trimmers should be fired #2  
That was the utility right of way... A perfect example of not realizing how big a mature tree gets when planting it.

I thought you were gonna post about a tree topping. That gets my inner tree hugger up in arms.

/ Some tree trimmers should be fired
   / Some tree trimmers should be fired #4  
They should have just dropped it!

/ Some tree trimmers should be fired #5  
Maybe the power authority had to rely on a subcontractor due to budgetary issues.

So maybe they could have just called that over-advertised list of service people. (... who aren't given background checks... :rolleyes:)

Planting a tree without accounting for its potential size at maturity is an American Tradition. :D

I'm sure the road commission will be there with their crew when it's their turn to uh, ... trim it again. ;)

Yes, someone could have just put it out of its misery. Like me, it's not getting any younger.

Could it become the 'National Tree' this Christmas? The shape seems somehow symbolic of the era ....

/ Some tree trimmers should be fired #6  
Most of the time the utilities hire sub contract agents to clear line right of ways. Those guys are just paid to clear the lines.
That tree is going to fall or break at some point due to the off balance. They know that it will fail at some point typically in a bad weather scenario. The tree was probably there before the house as well or just a natural growth. I do get a lot of work from Joe Homeowner that planted this little tree by the house or shed 10 years ago. Now it's tearing the gutters off or dropping leaves or needles every where.. So I try to educate them before they plant if I can.

Last edited:
   / Some tree trimmers should be fired #7  
You think they trimmed it with one of these?

DSCN0414.jpg

Which hangs from this:

DSCN0412.jpg

This landed in my yard to refuel. Was great fun to watch!

/ Some tree trimmers should be fired
They should have just dropped it!

Agreed
Around here, they also sub the line clearing out to large companies that specialize in nothing but that. But they are still idiots. They will butcher a tree and not think twice. I am okay with trimming, and understand why it needs done, but as a homeowner, just take the darn thing out and not worry about it ever again.

The trimmers and power company DO take input from homeowner around here though. They (power company) come through and mark the trees. Red X means remove Blue X means trim. About 3 years ago they were through here. I couldnt believe how they marked some of them:mur: I called them and told them to meet me out here and we would discuss things.

1. They marked in red a 8' tall eldeberry bush at the corner of my drive. I asked why as it was clearly NOT tall enough to reach the lines and gives them their 10-12' clearence. He said they though it was some type of plant that would climb the pole it was next to. I convinced him it wasnt and they left it alone.

2. They marked in red a ash tree that was about 20' from the lines at the base, and only a few small limbs within their 12' zone. I asked why it was red. They said cause it was ash and they were clearing ALL ash with in falling range of the lines due to the EAB. I told them I would rather they just trim my ash trees (I have a ton of them) and let mother nature run its course and give me time to establish other species. Now this ash tree was like two trees, forked at the base with each leg being about 12" diameter. Anyway, elec company complied and marked it with a blue X. a few days later when the trimmers came though, there was 2 crews so I couldnt watch both. They cut the one leg of that ash clear to the base. I was Pi$$ed. He gave me some crap about trimming to 1/3 of the lateral crap and they had to take it. I told him he may as well drop the other leg to as it now dont have a fighting chance.

3. I had a TALL and clearly DEAD white pine within falling range of the lines and leaning that way. It wasnt marked. (probably cause it wasnt an ash). I had them take that too.

I could go on, but...well you get the idea. Just makes me wonder about all those people who spent big $$$ to treat their ash trees and then they were all cut down if they were within range of the line :mur:

You think they trimmed it with one of these?

View attachment 326512

Which hangs from this:

View attachment 326513

This landed in my yard to refuel. Was great fun to watch!

Never seen one of them before but thats neat.

/ Some tree trimmers should be fired #9  
They mark our 3 trumpet vines going down the lane orange, yellow, orange, when they clear our area lines and poles. They said if not certain height when they come by they will cut them at the ground.

No problem their poles and lines and I just play by the rules. So we trim them back to 6' after blooming.

/ Some tree trimmers should be fired #10  
Won't that tree now be more likely to fall over with all the weight and branches on one side...? I notice it is in Ohio...they get snow and Ice...imagine the weight of those branches in an Ice storm - Yikes...Sure is ugly too...I hate those vertical bush hogs or cutting devices..they just butcher trees.