Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot.

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot. #11  
I had similar issues with my stihl and it turned out to be a fouled muffler. Like yours, it was a low hour machine. Took the muffler off and superheated it with a propane torch until it stopped smoking. Has been perfect ever since.

I'm not a real believer in the whole ethanol gas thing. You leave any fuel in a small engine for more than a few weeks and it will lose all its poop.

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot. #12  
Oh... and make sure you use stihl branded oil. It does seem to be better.

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot. #13  
Oh... and make sure you use stihl branded oil. It does seem to be better.

STihl and echo has gas stabiliser in their oils. I haven't yet had problem with old gas in my saw and rarely use it, twice yearly.

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot. #14  
I bought a brand new Sthil to treat myself after using a Homelite for 30 years. The darn thing was hard to start after the initial cold start. It about wore me out with much cussing, especially since the old Homelite never ever acted like that. Finally I took it back to the dealer and he tweeked the carburetor and it starts better now.....but still not as easily as the old faithful Homelite.

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot. #15  
I bought a brand new Sthil to treat myself after using a Homelite for 30 years. The darn thing was hard to start after the initial cold start. It about wore me out with much cussing, especially since the old Homelite never ever acted like that. Finally I took it back to the dealer and he tweeked the carburetor and it starts better now.....but still not as easily as the old faithful Homelite.

I bought my echo from a rusted small town dealer, who sold out to an idiot the following month. I couldnt get it serviced properly, the thing struggle on a 4" log with a sharp blade. I brought to a larger stihl dealer in the city. They told me i was just a cheap and under sized saw. I went home frustrated, open the manual, adjusted the carb as per instruction, than tweeked a little more, the saw's never worked so well. I had had two red seal mecanics look at it! Just adjust it a little more yourself and you'll be impressed.

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot.
I spoke with the local dealer...ignition module...destroyed carb...scorched pistons... They tought it had to be Bad bad bad! As far as a ventline... the mechanic treated me like an idiot for suggesting it had one. apparently, referencing a vent now requires $100 words. still, i hoped for a case of "the simplest solution." I drained what was left of the old gas, put some brand spanking, price gouging, summer gas in. Started her up... Ran her hard, ran her long. Stopped for a few and crossed my fingers. First pull..no choke...sputter and fail. Repeat with second...not even a sputter. Third time's a charm? Nope. Choked and sputtered. Fourth try, no choke and she started humming...pretty much what always happened before the issue.

The last two times i've had issues with carbs ('56 3hp Johnson and my mothers Sears edger,) i opened up the the gas line, opened the bottom of the bowl and let gas drip for a minute...both times, it cleared right up. I'm wondering if this is all that was wrong.

Keeping my fingers crossed,
B

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot. #17  
I know that you said that you re-set the carb adjustment but I had the same exact problem. Mine was significantly too rich.
It was the carb running off setting.
When you say you set the carb did you just set the turns IAW the manual or did you set it with a tach and actually tune it not just set the screws a certain number of turns?

Not downplaying the fuel/vent line issues because they will cause the same problem.

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot. #18  
My Stihl 261 fires up on one pull with full choke, not just sputters like all my other Stihls. I quickly flip off the choke and she stays running. I have never had a Stihl that starts on one pull before.

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot. #19  
My Stihl 261 fires up on one pull with full choke, not just sputters like all my other Stihls. I quickly flip off the choke and she stays running. I have never had a Stihl that starts on one pull before.

Maybe it's got an Echo engine in there ;-)

My Echos routinely start on one pull even cold with choke on, but all my Stihls take at least 2-3 pulls until I get a kick with choke on, and then at least another 1-2 pulls with choke off. Stihls get more respect in my neck of the woods, but I just don't think you can beat an Echo for repeatably easy starting. It's like night and day between the two brands.

/ Stihl 261. Starts when cold. Fails to restart when hot.
Furu,

I reset the carb per the manual. I don't have a tach. Showing ignorance here... I would have no idea how to use it if I had one. If the problem happens again, i'm sure a neighbor wold have one to loan...If you have the time to share how to use it to set the thing up right, feel free...someone will definitely benefit from it.