The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #1  

astavakra

Tractor
Kubota L3400
Three years ago I was in the market for a decent but cheap limbing saw. I had several old 2.0 Sears/Poulans and I was tired of fiddling with them all the time and so I decided it was time for a change.
I wanted something CHEAP, light and reliable.

I finally found what I was looking for on EBay. It was a 52cc Chinese made chainsaw and it was only $135. What a deal! I was certainly smarter than all those suckers who were spending $200-400 on those name brands.
I was pretty excited when my shiny orange saw arrived. It was everything I was looking for. It started right up and I let it idle a good twenty minutes for break-in and the oiler worked well.

The first cut I made on a 2 inch limb two of the cutters broke. I have been using saws for twenty years and have cut through wire and hit rocks. I had never broken a cutter. Oh well, no big deal, I really wanted a 16 bar anyway and it matched up to a Husqvarna. New bar and chain $50. Also, the throttle lock spring and button popped out at some time. $6.
A few days later I heard a pinging noise. I thought one of the muffler screws had come loose. Then it locked up. I pulled the saw apart. One of the wrist pin clips had fallen out. The cylinder and piston were wrecked. Cylinder and piston $40. Throttle lock button and spring came out again. $6.
I had put a total of 3 tanks of fuel through it.
I began having a bad feeling about my 組ood deal? It was at this point I was between the point of stupidity and insanity. I usually know when to fold a hand, but I was determined to get my money out of this thing no matter what.
I got it running again. All went well for several tanks of fuel and then the thing began hunting at full throttle. I played around with the high idle screw, but couldn稚 get it right. New carb $25. Lost the throttle lock button again, to **** with it.
I was getting a real bad feeling about this thing. All I wanted to do was throw it up against a tree, but the insanity continued.
I decided to give it one more shot. After a two or three more tanks the clutch went. What had I done wrong in life to deserve this? Or were the Chinese just messing with my mind?
Clutch $25. I decided to replace the throttle lock button and spring $6.
When I got it back together, I ran the fuel out of it and put it on a shelf in the barn. Every time I looked at it though I hated it and it reminded me of my foolishness.

This spring my step son came for a visit. He was admiring some of my saws and this thought came into my mind to finally get rid of this albatross around my neck. I would give it to him. It would be gone out of my life. The saw still looked new and he was very happy. I went through how to maintain it, mixing fuel, sharping, cleaning/dressing the bar. We started it up and cut a couple pieces of wood behind the barn. It was a bonding time and fun. But my conscious was not clear, because he acted like I had given him a family heirloom or something.

A few weeks later he called me up and said the thing was frozen and the throttle lock button had popped out. I gave up. This saw was not going to give me any peace until the day I died. I went down to a big box store, bought an Echo CS-310 and sent it to him $220.
I told him to throw that Chinese saw away, donate it, burn it or bury it. I never wanted to hear about it again.
Caveat Emptor

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #2  
Gotta love those great budget minded tools that are made in China!

Stick with Stihl and Husky!

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #3  
Or...
Find you an old Homelite Super EZ made 30 or 40 years ago...
I've got 2 of them and they still run along with the Super XL's...

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #4  
Echo makes a very good saw.

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #5  
How can we sell them quality scrap metal and they turn it into such crap?

Dave

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #6  
This is such a timely post. Over the last couple of years I have cheapest out a couple of times. The most recent was a Chinese made power washer. Got it home, started it up and gasoline started dripping from the carb. I have fiddled with this thing all summer....JUNK!!

On Friday I went out to buy a new chainsaw. Looked at at some cheaper Chinese made saws...slapped myself in the head and drove to the Stihl dealer and purchased a MS261.

I am now convinced that whatever I would save buying the cheaper tool...I would end up paying many times over with my time...not to mention the aggravation.

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #7  
At least save the new expensive bar and chain.

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #8  
The thing is that even the name brand saws have lots of Chinese parts.

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #9  
This is such a timely post. Over the last couple of years I have cheapest out a couple of times. The most recent was a Chinese made power washer. Got it home, started it up and gasoline started dripping from the carb. I have fiddled with this thing all summer....JUNK!!

On Friday I went out to buy a new chainsaw. Looked at at some cheaper Chinese made saws...slapped myself in the head and drove to the Stihl dealer and purchased a MS261.

I am now convinced that whatever I would save buying the cheaper tool...I would end up paying many times over with my time...not to mention the aggravation.

Good Choice it should last you an awful long time assuming you drain the gas out when your going to let it sit unless you can find ethanol free gas. Other wise plan on replacing the diaphragm in the carb about every 5 years.

Hopefully you don't have any of the problems of the O.P.

I Run a ms361 and 660 dad has an 026 that's 20 years old and running good

/ The Curse of the Chinese Chainsaw #10  
The thing is that even the name brand saws have lots of Chinese parts.

No not 'lots' of parts, but some.

The Chinese can do quality and usually do when making parts to spec for name brand companies.