Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    ford 3500,cat 416 w extenda hoe,bobcat 853,john deere110,kioti 3054, taskmaster 426e

Default Re: Which brand to buy

the best saw for the money is a Husqvarna 345 or 350, they really put a big eng on them for the bar size you can tell by the weight and also the sound, ive had a 345 for many yrs and never had a problem with mine and I have cut down 100s of trees with it, and all of our fire trucks carry 350s on them, you can also put a good chain on a crappy saw and make it a good saw, I allways run oragon blades, I myself think they are the best

Platinum Member adirondackmtnman's Avatar
    Tractor
    JD 5045D

Quote Originally Posted by reelnative View Post
    the best saw for the money is a Husqvarna 345 or 350, they really put a big eng on them for the bar size you can tell by the weight and also the sound, ive had a 345 for many yrs and never had a problem with mine and I have cut down 100s of trees with it, and all of our fire trucks carry 350s on them, you can also put a good chain on a crappy saw and make it a good saw, I allways run oragon blades, I myself think they are the best
    I had a 2 350's and for occasional use, they might be an OK saw, but they don't hold up well to firewood production. They have a great, fast running motor, but if they're run too long without a good cool down, the plastic saddles that the crank bearings ride in warp, deform, and eventually the whole bottom end shakes itself to pieces. You'll know it's staring to happen when it revs erratically, due to the crank seals beginning to fail, but by then it's too late. I'd say, if the OP's looking for a good saw, my first recommendation is a pro-grade Stihl, or *gags* husqvarna. JK...The pro saws are made to run frequently and hard, and are more easily serviced/repaired. Brand doesn't matter to much, at that level they're all good saws, but find a good dealer whom you can develop a good repoire with, who's been in the business a while, and while you may spend more up front, you won't be sorry later. Just my $0.02

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Tractor
    ford 3500,cat 416 w extenda hoe,bobcat 853,john deere110,kioti 3054, taskmaster 426e

Quote Originally Posted by adirondackmtnman View Post
    I had a 2 350's and for occasional use, they might be an OK saw, but they don't hold up well to firewood production. They have a great, fast running motor, but if they're run too long without a good cool down, the plastic saddles that the crank bearings ride in warp, deform, and eventually the whole bottom end shakes itself to pieces. You'll know it's staring to happen when it revs erratically, due to the crank seals beginning to fail, but by then it's too late. I'd say, if the OP's looking for a good saw, my first recommendation is a pro-grade Stihl, or *gags* husqvarna. JK...The pro saws are made to run frequently and hard, and are more easily serviced/repaired. Brand doesn't matter to much, at that level they're all good saws, but find a good dealer whom you can develop a good repoire with, who's been in the business a while, and while you may spend more up front, you won't be sorry later. Just my $0.02

hahaha yea but hes been running a homelite so going from a homelite to a huski is like going from a broken push cart to the space shuttle

Tractor
    JD 5045D

hahaha yea but hes been running a homelite so going from a homelite to a huski is like going from a broken push cart to the space shuttle
    True, but those old homelites were built way more stout than anything they've built recently. Keep in mind, his old saw was ~30 years old...

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Back in the day, Homelite was what the loggers in my area used.. They were pro saws back then as was poulan
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

That may be true if he dont get a box store husky
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Interesting. All of our newer saws are Stihl. All of our Primary Engines also have Stihl circular saw. Our oldest circ saw is a Partner, which runs pretty good for being old.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

Get your hands on a 346xp and compare. Made from 1999-2012, replaced by the 550xp.

Oh and chainsaws don't have blades.
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Tractor
    1960 or 61 MF35 Deluxe, 2008 Kubota L3940 GST

Finally got a chance to open the side covers and remove the muffler, everything was clear no obstructions, but the piston what I could see of it through the exhuast port was burnt but the cyl. wall was clean. I am guessing that the engine overheated even though it wasn't running that long. I put it back together and cut down a tree that was maybe 2" in diameter and it ran like nothing ever happened. Tommorow I am going to push it and start cutting the bigger logs 6" to 8" diameter and see if it happens again. I am being told there are no new parts around anymore for this age saw. So if it happens again I will probably go out and buy a Husky. I wanted the Stihl but keeping getting told the Carb. is a pain as they have to be adjusted all the time and easily floods the engine.
    John

2008 Kubota L3940 GST & 1961 MF 35 Deluxe

Tractor
    JD 5045D

Quote Originally Posted by EMS503 View Post
    Finally got a chance to open the side covers and remove the muffler, everything was clear no obstructions, but the piston what I could see of it through the exhuast port was burnt but the cyl. wall was clean. I am guessing that the engine overheated even though it wasn't running that long. I put it back together and cut down a tree that was maybe 2" in diameter and it ran like nothing ever happened. Tommorow I am going to push it and start cutting the bigger logs 6" to 8" diameter and see if it happens again. I am being told there are no new parts around anymore for this age saw. So if it happens again I will probably go out and buy a Husky. I wanted the Stihl but keeping getting told the Carb. is a pain as they have to be adjusted all the time and easily floods the engine.
    I'm not sure who's telling you that a Stihl's carb will need to be adjusted frequently, but they don't need it any more than any other saw. Most of the 'flooding' problems people have with them come from improper starting procedure, not incorrect needle adjustment. As long as your air cleaner and fuel filter are kept clean, spark plug is kept fresh, and the carb isn't gummed up, the factory settings should always be pretty close, with VERY infrequent and minor tweaks necessary. I've had my 362 for four years and never had to make an adjustment yet.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast