Which brand to buy

/ Which brand to buy #1  

EMS503

Silver Member
Tractor
1960 or 61 MF35 Deluxe, 2008 Kubota L3940 GST
Well while cutting up trees that blew down around 15 trees and blocked my road entrance to my chicken houses, My Homelite of 30 years died.
I have been looking online at Stihl, Homelite, Husqvarna & Sears. Reviews are all over the place from great to bad. the new Homelites housing looks like cheap plastic. The others the pictures are not very clear to tell. I am really looking at the Stihl Farm Boss with an 18" bar, But the price of nearly $400.00 dollars is a bit steap, But if it last 30 years like my Homelite did it will be worth it, I do not want cheap. So I would like to hear what everybody here recomends. Thanks for any input.

/ Which brand to buy #2  
Price range? from to ?

/ Which brand to buy #3  
Stihl and Husky Pro saws with ETHANOL FREE FUEL MIX!!.

If you plan on keeping it 30 yrs.

/ Which brand to buy #4  
Husqvarna or Stihl.

Head to the nearest dealers of each, and decide which dealer you like best.

Both offer solid saws in their pro lines, and both dominate the industry, for the same reason.
They are the best in the game at each price point, customer support, and dealer network.

The third tier crap, sold on line, and in the Box stores, was never meant to last more than a couple years, with moderate farm use.
Might work out OK for Joe homeowner cutting up storm trees, and that sort of thing though.

Good luck to ya!!

/ Which brand to buy #5  
Hear an Echo? You who...

/ Which brand to buy #6  
Agree, head to a dealer and stay away from the box stores. Look at both Stihl and Husky as the ergos are very different, as is the weights and balance. I'm kin to husky myself, only because it was more comfortable for me and I always loved their motorcycles..LOL
I still have my husky from 1993 and upgraded last fall to a digital autotune 550 from the XP line.

/ Which brand to buy #7  
Yep, Whats the price range?

How big are you looking?

How big are the trees??

The 290 farm boss isnt really worth $400 IMO. Not one of stihls better saws. And MANY saws that will out preform it for the money.

If you want a saw to last 30 years, that about limits you to pro saws. Stihl and husky are good, (as long as they are pro models). As is echo and if you have a dealer check out dolmar.

$400 wont buy a pro saw over 50cc's unless you go used. So that either leaves you with a cheaper non-pro saw that wont last as long, or a 40-45cc smaller saw. Which would be okay for just general clean-up, but not if you are a serious firewood cutter.

/ Which brand to buy #8  
Stihl for me but stay away from Echo. I had two bad experiences with them. You know, fool me once...

/ Which brand to buy #9  
Budget minded but dont know about the 30 year part, seems that is hit and miss with tools.
Has husky branded all over it and looks like the husky 450 but I compared and has different cylinder then 450. Take a look at a Poulan 5020 50cc clamshell built similar to the stihl 290 that cost $400 plus. 5020 is $200 or less at times. Comes with a 20" 3/8 70dl.