Finally upgraded the carb

/ Finally upgraded the carb #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
Years ago my local dealer (that's now retired/ shop closed :() told me about the upgrade on my 357xp to a steel clamp on the intake because the plastic clamp could come loose. he also said that it was worth upgrading the Walbro carb to a Zama. It was always hard to start when cold, usually about 10 pulls with the choke on full, it would pop, then a few more pulls on half choke. So after a little tuning I got the new carb on the saw up and running. Now I have to learn how to start the saw all over again.

/ Finally upgraded the carb
I thought about rebuilding it, maybe I will and have it ready to go if needed. There are kits available for about $10 to rebuild it. The Zama was under $50 shipped to the house. I did search some to see which one is better but it seams like they are both about the same. You can find lots of people who say things like "brand X sucks because I had a problem with it" or "brand Y is made in China so I will not buy it". I figure if I do rebuild the Walbro I can do it right and take my time. I'm not sure how much cleaning it needs but being (I think) 13 years old it probably needs a little more attention than just a quick cleaning and new parts.

/ Finally upgraded the carb #4  
There was issues with some of the 199 walbro's. Thats what Scott fixes. Bad idle, hard starting etc.

Put it this way on choosing between carbs. The zama replacement on a GOOD ported 346 357 359 wont feed it enough fuel like a good running walbro can. zama works on stock or lesser ported saws.

/ Finally upgraded the carb
The saw is stock, actually it's a little less than stock right now since I have an aftermarket 359 cylinder/ piston kit on it. I'm going to get the stock cylinder for it in the near future, probably once I get the Dolmar. I don't see any reason to port it since it'll mostly be a backup/ limbing saw.