Hitachi Chainsaws?

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #11  
I bought one of the top handle Hitachi saws at Menards for $99. I have cut a lot of wood and used all the brands. I don't think the Hitachi saw is all that bad although I've probably only run 10 tanks or so through it. With a 7 year warranty how can you go wrong? Give it a try and let us know how it works. If not Hitachi then look at Efco. They can be a good bang for the buck as well. It's nice to have a professional grade Stihl or Husqvarna but sometimes these lesser known brands can be just as or more economical in the long run.

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #12  
I don't think all Husky labeled saws are pro grade. I don't believe the ones that they sell at the
box stores are pro grade. They say that my rancher isn't pro grade even though, it does have a label that states made in
Sweden.

Of course Husky makes cheap homeowner saws, labeled "Husqvarna". Like this 136 model (photo), which I owned and
fixed. I bought a Rancher 455 new, and it still works great. Also a homeowner saw with one piston ring. Husky makes
it relatively easy by putting an "XP" in the model name if it is pro-grade. My point is that they should not cheapen
the Husky brand with ANY homeowner saws. The 136 I had seemed little, if any, better than a Poulan. And the Stihl
MS170 I had and fixed (a cheapo homeowner saw) was even less well-made, IMO.

I have no problem with most homeowner saws, and you can get many years of service out of them if you take care of
them. Many homeowners (and pros) do not.

"Made in China" is not ALL bad, and it IS the future for many products. Your Sony Blu-Ray DVD player is made there,
as well as your iPhone 5. Those companies monitor manufacturing closely, and give emphasis to outgoing QA. Some
other companies clearly do not. Caveat emptor.

BTW, I also have a brand new Efco 132S tophandle saw here, and it is very nice. Made in Italy.

Attachments

• Husky_136.jpg
    Husky_136.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 345
   / Hitachi Chainsaws? #13  
Of course Husky makes cheap homeowner saws, labeled "Husqvarna". Like this 136 model (photo), which I owned and
fixed. I bought a Rancher 455 new, and it still works great. Also a homeowner saw with one piston ring. Husky makes
it relatively easy by putting an "XP" in the model name if it is pro-grade. My point is that they should not cheapen
the Husky brand with ANY homeowner saws. The 136 I had seemed little, if any, better than a Poulan. And the Stihl
MS170 I had and fixed (a cheapo homeowner saw) was even less well-made, IMO.

I have no problem with most homeowner saws, and you can get many years of service out of them if you take care of
them. Many homeowners (and pros) do not.

"Made in China" is not ALL bad, and it IS the future for many products. Your Sony Blu-Ray DVD player is made there,
as well as your iPhone 5. Those companies monitor manufacturing closely, and give emphasis to outgoing QA. Some
other companies clearly do not. Caveat emptor.

BTW, I also have a brand new Efco 132S tophandle saw here, and it is very nice. Made in Italy.

Have you used the Efco or are you planning to sell it?

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #14  
Have you used the Efco or are you planning to sell it?

I tried a couple of demo cuts, but have not put it into service. I thought I was going
to replace my Tanaka or Stihl tophandle saws, but now it looks like I will sell the Efco. PM
me if you want it for 1/2 of new price. I love the thumb support on the newest tophandles;
it makes one-handed use even easier.

Attachments

• Efco_132s.jpg
    Efco_132s.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 355
   / Hitachi Chainsaws?
Thank you for all the comments. I am still on the fence, but think I will bite on the hitachi soon. For $290, a saw with dual piston rings (yes, it has) a decompression valve, good weight, and a commercial grade engine, stihl or husky are asking roughly $600 for the same. If there was no service center nearby, i would not do it, but since there is, what have I got to lose with a 7 year warranty? Will not be buying until the autumn now, as the wood I need has already been buzzed while i was on the fence (lol) but I will definitely get back to you all on the results after it goes through its paces. We have real winters here, so that will be a good test as well for cold starts.

/ Hitachi Chainsaws?
OK. Here is the review. I failed! lol. Hitachi saw review: Got the saw, oiled and gassed it up. Set tension. Fired on first pull, great! Let it idle, and worked it slow to break it in. Great! Then, cut about 1/4 cord of wood, thats all. Thing got ridiculously hot, first warning. After it was hot, shut it off to move some wood around. Would not start again, no matter how many pulls. Let it sit a few hours until cool, and starts again. This thing gives about 20 minutes service then turns into an un-startable hot coal. No good. Wished it was like my hitachi trimmer, but no go. Hitachi Saw has now been returned, and Dolmar on the way to replace it. A few extra dollars, but the german saw will last I'm sure (hope? lol) I tried to find a diamond in the rough, turns out it was just a lemon.

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #17  
China made saw set up to lean for epa standards. I would have least tried adjusting the carb first. Fatten it up a bit on L and checked H. Heck I have been seeing stihl, husky, poulan set up to lean for years now. I didnt say dolmar because only me, guy north, guy south around here have had them it seems. :laughing:

/ Hitachi Chainsaws?
To completely turn my own thread around, the Dolmar/Makita saw has been WONDERFUL! I can just look at it sideways and it starts, hot or cold. Neighbor now going to replace his husky 350 with this smaller saw, he likes it so much, and he heats 100% by wood, and works at the local lumber mill. This Dolkita saw is a little tank, and the best saw I have ever used. I just got the fever :) Dolmar 64cc saw when economics make it wise :) Bummer, Hitachi makes some class A tools, seems they ruined a brand once known as Tanaka, though I save judgement on the higher level stuff, since thats not what I bought.