Hitachi Chainsaws?

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #1  

Steak

Tractor
Hands, back, and quarter horses....
Need a new chainsaw, and though I was looking at Stihl, this Hitachi saw keeps catching my eye. Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1CC 20" . Identical to Tanaka, as Tanaka is now owned by hitachi. Can buy for $290, which is a lot of bang for the buck. 7 year warranty also helps, and local Kubota dealer is also a Tanaka dealer, and will service any warranty issues. Has anyone used/owned one of these saws? It is the exact size I am looking for and has features I only find on high end Husky and Stihl saws at a much higher price tag. BTW, I have been through several string trimmers, and recently bought a hitachi gas trimmer, and it is the best I have ever owned by far. My Husky cannot touch it though it was 50% more in cost. I'm just hoping someone has experience with Hitachi/Tanaka Chainsaws, to make me feel better about the purchase, or give reasons to steer me away, since it is not one of the biggest brands in the US. Thanks :)

/ Hitachi Chainsaws?
BTW, only cutting a couple cords per year, and helping my older neighbor cut a few more. Probably a bit more saw than I NEED, but I cannot see the future, and rarely hear anyone say 'I wish my tool had LESS power'.

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #3  
My grandpa has a Tanaka its a smaller one id guess it would have to be from early 90s been around since I can Rember I've used it a few times seems like a good one. I know it hasn't had a easy life and I don't believe its ever been worked on! I don't know where to get them around my area. But I wouldn't rule it out for myself when its time for a new saw!

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #4  
BTW, only cutting a couple cords per year, and helping my older neighbor cut a few more. Probably a bit more saw than I NEED, but I cannot see the future, and rarely hear anyone say 'I wish my tool had LESS power'.

Well I have a husky 53cc saw with a 20' bar/chain. My 53cc saw and I feel it's under powered for a 20'' bar/chain. If I were to run a small 20'' bar with a smaller tooth chain ,it would have plenty of power

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #5  
Bought a new Tanaka TCS33EB/16 32cc 16-Inch 2-Stroke Gas Powered Rear Handle Chain Saw about 18 months ago for $250 on recommendation of a local chainsaw repair shop (just saw them priced and reviewed on Amazon as low as $150 + shipping []Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tanaka TCS33EB/16 32cc 16-Inch 2-Stroke Gas Powered Rear Handle Chain Saw (CARB Compliant)). It is a light saw and has served me well clearing farm land, light firewood, and general home/farm use. The chain oiler leaks if you don't store it on its side. I replaced an older/smaller Craftsman with this Tanaka and the Tanaka seems to be as-good or better than the Craftsman. Have never owned a Stihl but always hear they are the best.

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #6  
I'm just hoping someone has experience with Hitachi/Tanaka Chainsaws,
to make me feel better about the purchase, or give reasons to steer me away, since it is not one of
the biggest brands in the US.

Around here, you see pro tree-trimming contractors with Tanakas, Shindaiwas, Huskys, and Stihls.
I have a pro tophandle Tanaka, a TCS3401, made in Chiba, Japan. It has 2 piston rings, and
nice ergonomics for tree-climbing. Compares favorably to the pro Husky 335XPT (photo).

I got my saw to repair, and it still does not run quite right. I suspect an air leak in the rather
compicated air intake manifold, some parts of which I replaced.

Attachments

• tophandle_saws_a.jpg
    tophandle_saws_a.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,872
   / Hitachi Chainsaws? #8  
The Tanaka made-in-Japan pro saws are top notch. Since Hitachi took over, they have been mixing junk saws into the product line. I would not buy one unless you know it's one of the made-in-Japan Tanakas. The Chinese Hitachis are junk and a waste of your money.

You would need to spend $400-600 to get a pro grade 50cc saw.

A nice and under-rated 50cc saw is the Echo CS-500p, which comes from the Shindaiwa merger with Echo. It's light and very snappy.

Stihl 261, Husky 346XP, and Husky 550XP are standouts as well. I have a 261 and it's been outstanding.

/ Hitachi Chainsaws? #9  
The Tanaka made-in-Japan pro saws are top notch. Since Hitachi took over, they have been mixing junk saws into the product line. I would not buy one unless you know it's one of the made-in-Japan Tanakas. The Chinese Hitachis are junk and a waste of your money.

You would need to spend $400-600 to get a pro grade 50cc saw.

A nice and under-rated 50cc saw is the Echo CS-500p, which comes from the Shindaiwa merger with Echo. It's light and very snappy.

It makes sense that some Tanaka-branded stuff is made in China, since they look identical to some
Hitachi products. Here is a current model Hitachi CS33ET 32cc tophandle saw, which is clearly marked,
"Made in China". I don't have any experience with using or fixing one.

Discerning pro-grade saws from consumer-grade saws from some makers is sure not easy. And why
doesn't Husky just make pro-grade saws with the Husky label, and relegate all their consumer-grade
stuff to their Poulan brand?

Anyway, I love my Shindaiwa 377 saw: it is my primary mid-size unit and do most of my cutting with it.
When Echo acquired them and killed the Shindaiwa brand for chainsaws, I was wondering if some Echo
saws would be made by Shindaiwa. Some consumer-grade Echoes are pretty cheap....one I recently fixed
used a plastic oil pump driven gear, which stripped out.

Attachments

• Hitachi_CS33ET.jpg
    Hitachi_CS33ET.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 882
   / Hitachi Chainsaws? #10  
I don't think all Husky labeled saws are pro grade. I don't believe the ones that they sell at the box stores are pro grade. They say that my rancher isn't pro grade even though, it does have a label that states made in Sweden. It has served me well. I just needed more saw. I can say I don't think I'd buy 1 made in China. I haven't been impressed with any of their small engines. The ones I've owned have not stayed together very long