Is this normal?

/ Is this normal?
It is a Stihl 660 saw. I dropped it off at the dealer last week and they are going to call when it's fixed.

/ Is this normal? #12  
Yea, that saw should not drip. You spend $1000+ for a saw, it should seal. If it was a low end homeowner/box store saw, I'd say its to be expected. You get what you pay for. But a MS660...........I'd be a little upset too.

/ Is this normal? #13  
hah! Low end saws dont even have an 'automatic oiler', they have a 'drip tube' :)

/ Is this normal? #14  
I think a lot of the time it has to do with the oil being used. Cheaper oil in my ms362 will leave a spot under it occasionally, but the stihl oil won't for some reason.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Is this normal? #15  
I think a lot of the time it has to do with the oil being used. Cheaper oil in my ms362 will leave a spot under it occasionally, but the stihl oil won't for some reason.

Has nothing to do with what the oil cost or what brand it is. Has to do with viscosity. Some oils are thicker than others. Stihl even sells a summer blend (orange jug) that is thick, like gear oil. and then a winter blend (blue jug) that is about as thin as motor oil.

/ Is this normal? #16  
Ya.. I picked up some Poulan oil that was cheap, but thick as molasses. Looked just like STP oil treatment.. Didnt drip.

/ Is this normal? #17  
I bought a new Stihl about three years ago that leaked a lot of bar oil in the case. The dealer told me to open the fill cap for the bar oil after I used it and putting it in the case to relieve the pressure from the hot bar oil. That worked for me.

/ Is this normal? #18  
Has nothing to do with what the oil cost or what brand it is. Has to do with viscosity. Some oils are thicker than others. Stihl even sells a summer blend (orange jug) that is thick, like gear oil. and then a winter blend (blue jug) that is about as thin as motor oil.

I have no Idea what the viscosity of the TSC or Poulan oils are, but when I run either of those, I get a little drip. The only other oil I've bothered to buy is Stihl(orange jug, I cut only rarely in winter)...just my own observation, and those oils were definitely cheaper. The OP sounds like he has aa mechanical issue, rather than a viscisity issue anyhow.

/ Is this normal?
I called the dealer and they said the oil valve was stuck open and they are replacing it under warranty. So hopefully this story will have a happy ending. I should have the saw back in aday or two.

/ Is this normal? #20  
If you're running 30 weight oil for your chain lubricant, you're going to get drippage because that's too low a viscosity. That's one reason why chain oil is different from the oil you mix with the fuel.