Your views and experience needed

/ Your views and experience needed #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I have a Stihl 024 from 1985 that I bought new and it has been one outstanding saw. No trouble what so ever. Recently after cruising my woods I've noticed a lot of grape vines and poison ivy growing up the sides of the trees and I have decided to go through the woods this winter and start to cut them. The Stihl 024 is just a tad heavy with it's 16" bar for carrying for extended walking, so I'm in the market for a small, light saw with a 12 inch bar for this job. I prefer back handles over the top handles, but it seems all of the light saws are top handle. No problem, I can live with that. Now here's my question,,, a friend of mine really is trying to get me to buy an Echo and the CS-341 in particular. Any of you guys have anything good or bad to say about the Echo line of chain saws and especially the CS-341? Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and comments. They are appreciated. RRM

/ Your views and experience needed #3  
I have had 2 echo 3900 39cc saws. Light and could do that job easily. I'm sure the newer ones are just as light, least I would hope. I hate heavy small cc saws like some are making now in other brands. If I'm going to carry 50cc weight I want 50cc power.

/ Your views and experience needed #4  
I've Always run and probably will always run Stihl professional saws. But ive had an echo string curved shaft trimmer that lasted 15 years before i decided to go for a straight shaft model. My echo hand held leaf blower went 21 years before giving up the ghost. I replaced it last year with the largest back pack they make. I like them all best of all every echo I've owned starts easier than all my stihl equipment. Probably cant go wrong

/ Your views and experience needed #5  
I am a fan of the Echo and Husky's myself. I wasn't too impressed with the Solo top handle. If you don't need brand spanking new check any local pawn shops. My top handle gets the most use out of any of my saws because it is light weight and strong running. Fatigue can lead to accidents so it is great that you are thinking about that.

/ Your views and experience needed #6  
I have a Stihl 024 from 1985 that I bought new and it has been one outstanding saw. No trouble what so ever. Recently after cruising my woods I've noticed a lot of grape vines and poison ivy growing up the sides of the trees and I have decided to go through the woods this winter and start to cut them. The Stihl 024 is just a tad heavy with it's 16" bar for carrying for extended walking, so I'm in the market for a small, light saw with a 12 inch bar for this job. I prefer back handles over the top handles, but it seems all of the light saws are top handle. No problem, I can live with that. Now here's my question,,, a friend of mine really is trying to get me to buy an Echo and the CS-341 in particular. Any of you guys have anything good or bad to say about the Echo line of chain saws and especially the CS-341? Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and comments. They are appreciated. RRM

Have you considered a string trimmer with a blade? I have done this before and bending over to make a low cut got old real fast plus easy to find dirt and rocks with the saw. Any stihl FS 90 or larger will run a blade that will do what you want and save your back...if you are deadset on a saw- the echoes are decent but won't hold up like your 024.

/ Your views and experience needed #7  
No info on the echo. But the dolmar 350 and 420 are nice little saws. They arent the lightest small saw out there, But run sweet and have good power for a small saw.

I agree though, I wouldnt want a top handle saw for what you want to do. Especially cutting close to the ground, and vines that like to move around.

Be carefull throwing the chips with the poison ivy, if you are allergic. A good pair of fiskars loppers might bea better solution for the ivy, and even the smaller vines

Fiskars 9168 Telescoping Power-Lever Bypass Lopper 27/37 In. | Loppers | Pruners, Shears & Loppers | www.baileysonline.com

/ Your views and experience needed #8  
You know what you consider heavy or light. Get to the Stihl, Husqvarna, etc., dealers and get them in your hands. In my experience, Echo (in general) seems to have models that are a little heavier for the displacement as compared to Husqvarna and Stihl.

I also have cut a lot of grape vines with a power pole saw (power pruner attachment on Kombi KM-90R) and a steel saw blade on a brush cutter (Stihl chisel tooth saw blade on FS-130 trimmer with bike handles). The saw blade on the brush cutter/trimmer really shines on cutting vines and other woody plants close to the ground.

/ Your views and experience needed #9  
I have an Echo CS-330, and it is a beast for its size. I had to take it in for a tune up after having it about 3 months because it wasn't working right. But the tech said that was normal for one bought new. He tuned it up and I have probably cut well over 75 4-8" trees with that thing in the past year.

I'm a big Echo fan. Always have been. Used their weed eaters and blowers when I did commercial lawn care, and have always owned their products at home, too.

/ Your views and experience needed #10  
I'd stay away from the poison ivy with that chainsaw though. Too much sap spray on you and the chainsaw. You're going to get a real nasty case of itching and oozing blisters from it. I use a lopper and just cut the vines off at the base, then hit them with a shot of Roundup. Plus the lopper is easy to clean. The chainsaw isn't.