Chainsaw Ignoramus

/ Chainsaw Ignoramus #11  
Like Ralph. I pay $5.50ea. for my chains to be resharpened and it's a better deal than spending my time on them. I normally take them all in at once, 10" 14" 20". I have 4-5 chains per saw, so rotating the chains is no big deal.

Thats what most of my firewood cutter guys do. 4-12 chains dropped off and I do them for $5 for 24" under.
Sometimes if I am not busy I will do them while they are here and we just BS and have a brew while hooking them up.

/ Chainsaw Ignoramus #12  
Thats what most of my firewood cutter guys do. 4-12 chains dropped off and I do them for $5 for 24" under.
That's real nice - here it's about $15 for the small chains. I never asked about the regular ones (26 to 34).

I run chains from 16" to 42", but mostly 28" plus. My saws are a 35cc Efco, Stihl 021, JD CS62, Stihl 660, Stihl 660, Stihl 088. I bought a Northern Tool grinder for about $80 years ago, I also use a Grandberg File n Joint. I mainly did some chain saw milling (CSM). My routine is to hand sharpen, or touch up 3 times, then use the Grandberg, repeat (hand 3 Grandberg 1) for 2 more "Grandbergs", then take them to the grinder. The hand sharepning and Grandberg are normally done on the saw. If for some reason a chain gets "rocked" it goes to the grinder.

The Grandberg helps confirm the angle and the grinder makes it even more accurate.

When sharpening also pay attention to the rakers.

/ Chainsaw Ignoramus #13  
Had a couple B&D 18v ones that my wife and I use. They work great for what they'll do. We've 3 batteries to use on them. Need at least that many to do much.

I've never used a battery powered chain saw, and I sold my last gas powered one when I moved back to town nearly 11 years ago. But about two and a half years ago, when a little wind and hail knocked down a tree in my yard, I went to Home Depot and bought a cheap ($50) Homelite corded electric chainsaw, and I was very pleasantly surprised that it worked much better than expected. And some time later, a friend had a tree blown down and I went over there and helped him cut it up with this cheap saw; worked great and still hasn't had the chain re-sharpened.

/ Chainsaw Ignoramus #14  
Here is some info about that saw.

Model Profile: 254

As far as weather its worth it to fix....depends on what it needs. If it ran when put away, odds are the cylinder, piston, and ring are just fine. See if it turns over. Pull easy on the rope. If there is any resistance, put a little wd40 down the spark plug hole and let it sit.

But odds are it just needs a carb cleaning or carb kit. which is $7 with free shipping on ebay Carburetor Rebuild Kit for Tillotson RK 23HS for Tillotson HS Carburetors | eBay

And might need a few bucks of fuel line and a fuel filter. But if the motor turns over freely and has compression, I'd say its worth investing ~$20 to see if she will live again:thumbsup:

/ Chainsaw Ignoramus
Thanks for all the info, LD1. I've printed out the info in your link. Interesting that it's 32-35 years old. Yep, it ran fine when put away and turns over easily now. I need to clear a couple of other projects off the bench so I can tear it down and see what it looks like. For the amount of use I expect to have for a chainsaw, it's definitely worth $20 to get it running again.
Charlie

/ Chainsaw Ignoramus #16  
Keep us updated when you get around to tearing into it:thumbsup:

/ Chainsaw Ignoramus #17  
I been looking at the 40volt battery powered saws too for awhile. For inside my barn use or when no power and IF I had no mix on hand. Doubtful, but you never know.
Oregon even sent me one of theirs to test out for FREE, shipping to me and back. I just cant see paying $400. If one was cost effective I might pull the trigger on one.
So still looking at the cheaper ones.