562xp Fuel/carb issues

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
Are there any known issues or recalls on the 562xp's fuel system?

It was working fine the other day, cut about 1cd wood, then yesterday it would not start. At first it would not prime in the primer bulb, i mean I would pump the bulb for 30s quickly / slowly whatever and it would not fill all the way up.

Then it would prime but not start. It started to hold prime after I pulled out the tank filter and put it back in. Pulled over for several minutes, with only a few light kicks. Not really flood either.

A surface glance around the carb showed no fuel leakage anywheres.

First guess for me is perhaps a pinhole or pinch in a fuel line somewhere. Maybe inside the tank? Primer bulb doesnt appear to be leaking. No fuel around the carb area

One thing i noticed is the molded silicone(?) line from the primer to the top of the carb is not overly tight on the barb. Not feeling those molded lines!:mad:

I could take it for warranty, but hate the local dealer! and dealer where I bought it is 100mi away. Going to go over the fuel system a little closer.

Luckily the old school 51 fired right up, new fuel and 3 pulls! Real frustrating. That old thing is a tank! New one.. not so much. Its temperamental starting as a rule.

Any updates for the Autotune? I might take it to the dealer to have this checked out and get the new tune if so.

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues #2  
Bite the bullet and take it back to the dealer you bought it from for warranty. Maybe call and see what he says...There have been a few that needed the carb replaced.

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues
What were the issues on the ones that needed a new carb?

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues #4  
What were the issues on the ones that needed a new carb?

Hard to start issues.

But most issues were operator error, not knowing how to use the 'new' controls. I assume that's not the case here, since you've had the saw for awhile?

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues
Hard to start issues.

But most issues were operator error, not knowing how to use the 'new' controls. I assume that's not the case here, since you've had the saw for awhile?

Well.. could be op error,lol. Never underestimate my ability to screw up:thumbsup:

Generally I follow the procedure and put it in hi idle to start when warm, full choke when cold with decomp on. Plus a couple pumps on the primer. I dont find myself flooding it. It just seems to be a dog to start. This was before my current (suspected) fuel issues.

Looked it over again today, no leaks that I can see. Primer bulb only pumps up to 75-80%, also the stiffness of the bulb doesnt change much at all and stays very easy to push. IIRC when the bulb would fill, it would fill to 90%+ and would get considerably stiffer as it filled. The difference from when you start to prime and when you end was quite noticeable.

No lines pinched that I could see. Pulled line out of tank and it looked OK. Filter is clean. Hmm.

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues
Called the dealer.

Said it "sounds like a carb issue".. Wants to do a carb swap. Apparently Im the first one they sold that had a carb issue, but given the age of my saw, it sounds like I potentially have one with the bad carb.

Also he told me that husky pulled all the 562's back because of these carb problems. There is no stock to just to a in-store swap. Wont have new stock for about a week. Interesting, I didnt hear that they pulled the model to address these carb issues.

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues #7  
Called the dealer.

Said it "sounds like a carb issue".. Wants to do a carb swap. Apparently Im the first one they sold that had a carb issue, but given the age of my saw, it sounds like I potentially have one with the bad carb.

Also he told me that husky pulled all the 562's back because of these carb problems. There is no stock to just to a in-store swap. Wont have new stock for about a week. Interesting, I didnt hear that they pulled the model to address these carb issues.
I follow these things pretty close and Husky has not pulled this model as far as I know. Some dealers have sold a bunch of these and with very few issues. Seems a few saws just need a carb swap and all is well.

Also the primer bulb isn't a primer bulb, but a purge bulb. It purges air out of the system and allows the carb to get gas quicker. You can't flood the saw using the bulb. 6-8 pumps is usually what it takes for a cold start and 2-3 for a warm start.

Good that your dealer wants to swap in a new carb. That should take care of it.

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues
Wouldnt you know it, saw is at the dealer and it started first pull for him today after changing the fuel. It also primed (purged) perfectly:banghead:

He said the fuel looked pretty dark, like he had to shine a flashlight through it in order to look for dirt!

Goes to prove the old adage that you should never loan out your saw! I loaned it to a friend for an afternoon because his Stihl was broken, but I didnt think he used it much at all, and the tank came back full. Im wondering if he fueled it up with his fuel? He has a tendency to mix it with lots of oil (says its better to be safe!!:rolleyes:) but I didnt think he used THAT much oil...

Feeling pretty dumb that I didnt dump the fuel.. Probably should have, but I assumed that it was my gas in it all along.

Still the primer (purge) issue though, rich fuel wont cause that. Dealer has a bunch of wood to cut up and asked if he could run my saw for the day off and on. I said sure. Hope it acts up.

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues #9  
That's too nice a saw to loan out!!!

Sounds like you have a good dealer there. He'll get it ironed out...

/ 562xp Fuel/carb issues
So far the dealer has been great. Good communication. I agree on the loan out. He works in the woods (now retired) so its not like he's a noob.. he just mixes rich because its likely what he always did. Like alot of guys, I dont think they understand the newer oils. I have no ill will towards him, he likely thought he was doing me a favor by topping up the tank with his gas.

But there could be an issue... Seems my saw is about 2.5 weeks out of warranty! Dealer said he'd try to get any repairs if needed covered.. Better be covered!;) I have no doubts he'll do his best to treat me right.

One more thing, he still has no 562's.

One more, one more thing... He doesnt have his scanner computer yet either! So he cant check codes or reset the computer if he had to or wanted to, do a swap!. Apparently they just went to saw school a few weeks back, up until then the reps said that the computer was an option but not required, now they say it IS required to do pretty much everything. That was my fear on buying a "high tech" saw. Has anyone found a way to talk to these saws without the Husky computer yet? I know that my warranty is up, so this will likely be its first and only trip to the dealer for service. Being able to talk to the saw is starting to sound like a requirement for any future DIY service.

What would the chances be of getting the dealer to install the new and improved carb even if he cant get the saw to act up in testing? Is it worth pushing him for? What's Husky's position.. worth a call to them? Any idea on what the new carb costs if I have to order it myself out of warranty?