Stihl MS250 plunge cutting stumps

/ Stihl MS250 plunge cutting stumps #11  
Are you using wedges to keep the kerf open? You ought to use a longer bar/chain for the size stumps you're cutting too, or a bigger saw. Whatever saw/bar/chain you use verify the bar is straight, the chain groove is not pinched and the oiler is not clogged.

/ Stihl MS250 plunge cutting stumps
The trees were on a common property line and died about two years after my former neigbor limbed them to the top... his side and a lot on my side... I started a thread back then saying what I found when I came home one night after the neighbor asked to cut a few branches... ones he pointed out and I said sure.

Had a tree service take them down... $1,800 to cut leaving the rounds on my side.

Tree service left them about 12" above grade on a downslope... they were in the way of getting forklift delivery of concrete and retaining wall blocks.

I mentioned to my new neighbor taking out the stumps with the backhoe and he did not like the idea of distrubing anything on his side... a sewer main serving over a 100 homes runs right down the property too... so that was enough reason not to use the TLB... By the way, the neighbor that killed the trees a couple of years back walked away from the property and left the country too...

Stump grinder was my choice... after coming home without it... I just decided to use my saw... I was determined now...

Are you using wedges to keep the kerf open? You ought to use a longer bar/chain for the size stumps you're cutting too, or a bigger saw. Whatever saw/bar/chain you use verify the bar is straight, the chain groove is not pinched and the oiler is not clogged.

No... didn't use any wedges... did not really think about it because there was only about 12" of trunk on top of the cut...

Saw has only a couple of tanks of fuel since new and up to that time has been babied.... looked new.

/ Stihl MS250 plunge cutting stumps #14  
Well it's finished for sure. As soon as you overheat the chain you might as well throw it away. Send it to me, I'll dispose of it.

:)

A Stihl 250 should be able to run at WOT till you get smoke coming from the stump. The last stump I cut up I was lazy, so I put a 41" bar on one of my 660's and just ground into it. That way II didn't have to bend over.

On a related note...

I imagine over time a small sink hole or depression will form as what's left of the pine decomposes and I will keep adding dirt/gravel as it does...

/ Stihl MS250 plunge cutting stumps #16  
my pine stumps rotted out in about 2 yrs. Yes, I had to keep adding dirt to the hole as the stump continued to decompose