My Stihl MS 290 died after less than 60 days...

/ My Stihl MS 290 died after less than 60 days... #21  
Fuel that doesn't contain Ethanol all I use as well but why do I have to use it? I think some say it has something to do with the material used for fuel line and gasket material in small engines, that larger auto engines use materials that are impervious to Ethanol? Why don't the small engines just use that then? Or... is it that fuel that contains Ethanol absorbs water? Again, then why don't they just construct small engines in a way that tolerates that? It looks like these additives are here to stay so I don't know why this is still a problem for new small engines.

Good questions!

/ My Stihl MS 290 died after less than 60 days... #22  
Fuel that doesn't contain Ethanol all I use as well but why do I have to use it? I think some say it has something to do with the material used for fuel line and gasket material in small engines, that larger auto engines use materials that are impervious to Ethanol? Why don't the small engines just use that then? Or... is it that fuel that contains Ethanol absorbs water? Again, then why don't they just construct small engines in a way that tolerates that? It looks like these additives are here to stay so I don't know why this is still a problem for new small engines.

I am no expert, but I thought newer gasket materials are fine with ethanol blends but the absorption of water is the problem. Cars don't sit for months typically such that they collect as much proportionally? I run ethanol free mid grade fuel only in small engines.

/ My Stihl MS 290 died after less than 60 days... #23  

E-10 fuel line is available these days, same with gaskets, etc. The E-10 is the problem, not the engines or their materials. Car engines are closed fuel systems, chainsaws, weedeaters, 2 cycles in general are NOT closed to atmosphere, allowing E-10 to do it's water absorption thing, and phase separation, etc.
Stihl knows what E-10 does to the carbs; microscopic water molecules create rust inside the carb passages, especially when E-10 sits in the carb over time. The passages, jets, etc., cannot be cleaned enough to render the carb to work properly, and then the carb needs to be replaced. Vicious cycle, repeats again and again. Carbs can't be designed to get around these issues without astronomical expense due to need to comply with stricter and stricter EPA specs.
Solution is to use E-10 free fuel and eliminate the problem. Treat the problem, not the symptoms. The additives help treat fresh E-10, they DON'T make it water free if it's been in an underground vented tank absorbing water and phase separating prior to the consumer purchasing it. Once it breaks down it can't be unbroken, no matter what you add to it.

/ My Stihl MS 290 died after less than 60 days... #24  
E-10 has been with us for what?, 20-40 years or so, (seems like forever). It is about time small engine manufacturers got their heads out of the sand and built engines to cope with the alcohol problem like automobile manufacturers did.

That said, for the present, most areas do sell (or at least claim it is )alcohol free pure gasoline. Even so I still treat mine with Stabil as soon as I buy it and change it out at least every 2 months by pouring the remaining fuel in my automobile and refilling my containers. On my riding lawnmowers, which I cant easily remove all the gas, I run it down low as possible and double dose it with Stabil, then fill them up for spring mowing. Once I forgot to dose my Craftsman with Stabil and it wouldn't even fire up with the old gas. Thought I was in for a carb rebuild, but after removing the tank and draining, then putting in fresh gas, it started right up.
As for scouring the cylinder, I have never heard of that happening from the fuel unless 1) you didn't properly agitate it after setting for a long time which "could" have cause oil separation from the gasoline or 2)it wasn't properly dosed with 2 cycle oil to begin with. I try to remember to give my fuel can a vigorous shake before filling it and if some has been in the equipment tank, I give them a shake also.

/ My Stihl MS 290 died after less than 60 days... #25  
My bet is it wasn't the gas/mix, but just something wrong with the saw.

That said, I don't like the 290 at all and would upgrade to a ms 261 if I had to stay with a Stihl...

/ My Stihl MS 290 died after less than 60 days... #26  
That said, I don't like the 290 at all and would upgrade to a ms 261 if I had to stay with a Stihl...

The 261 is certainly a way better saw, but I'd be surprised if the dealer was able to let Nick upgrade if there is a warranty replacement. Probably getting another 290 is the best hope.

/ My Stihl MS 290 died after less than 60 days... #27  
The 261 is certainly a way better saw, but I'd be surprised if the dealer was able to let Nick upgrade if there is a warranty replacement. Probably getting another 290 is the best hope.

I was thinking more like a trade in. He will take a hit, but well worth it!

/ My Stihl MS 290 died after less than 60 days...
Still waiting on a decision & considering my options for various scenerios. If the matter is handled under warranty then the MS 290 comes home. If the warranty claim is denied but the dealer makes a significant offer to meet me part way, I might prefer upgrading to a MS 261 (with more out of pocket for me) than going the MS 290 route again if that is a possibility.

My biggest reservation about the 290 is that I have yet to hear an explanation for what happened. The fuel used was good & is the same jug used for our Stihl blower & trimer, which have both seen a lot of recent use & are running strong.

If I get left hanging then I may end up going with a locally available Jonsered 2250s as a replacement. I won't put money into repairing the 290 via the dealer as the projected parts cost alone there would be 2/3 cost of a new saw & I can't see taking a chance on another unexplained, non-warrantied, melt down by buying another 290 at full price.

Nick