Where to find performance parts for chainsaws???

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws??? #1  

Kiotikarl

Gold Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti ck30 gear
Hi everyone, wondering where to find performance parts for my MS461. I've been looking over the net, but i guess i'm not looking at the right places:laughing: I need an after market ignition coil that doesn't have the rev limiter in it. Thanks

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws??? #2  
It may be that some 460 parts will work, which would widen the field quite a bit.

I'm still blown away by the power/guts my 461 has, and can't imagine hotrodding it! Heck, when I mill lumber, I have to push steady on the mill to keep a load on the saw, otherwise it revs too high!

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws???
I like the MS461, has lots of torque, but that thing is no match for a husky performance wise. Husky do rev higher and keep the high revs, where as the stihl doesn't rev as high and drops more rpm in wood than the husky. Don't want to start a stihl vs husky debate, but compared to my 575XP the MS461 is no match. Both saws have Oregon 73LP72 (72LP72 for the stihl) chains and oem bars.

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws??? #4  
I think both saws have pros and cons (Husky definitely has better filtration, for instance -- it's pathetic on the 461). I have yet to encounter any wood that slows my 461 down, however -- it's an animal. And that includes milling. The mid-range torque is probably why. I don't tend to use it at high RPM a lot aside from milling, but I was surprised how good the 461 throttle response is when doing some limbing work recently. I normally use smaller saws for limbing, but other than weight the 461 was surprisingly responsive and zingy.

I have not run a 575 in many years, but just going on memory and seat of the pants feel, I'd say it's ballpark with the 461, albeit with significantly different characteristics. As is typical of Stihl/Husky comparisons.

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws??? #5  
When most want more power/speed they modify the muffler, or have it ported. There are a few very talented saw builders that can work your saw over for around $250. Well worth the $ in my opinion.

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws??? #6  
Randy Mastermind has ported quite a few of the 461's. Other good ones out there that port too. Just dont know if they have dug in on the 461 yet.

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws??? #7  
I like the MS461, has lots of torque, but that thing is no match for a husky performance wise. Husky do rev higher and keep the high revs, where as the stihl doesn't rev as high and drops more rpm in wood than the husky. Don't want to start a stihl vs husky debate, but compared to my 575XP the MS461 is no match. Both saws have Oregon 73LP72 (72LP72 for the stihl) chains and oem bars.

I havent ran a 461. But are you saying a stock 575xp out cuts a stock 461 handily? I have ran 570, 576xp, 046, 460 though. Plus many others in that range.

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws??? #8  
A couple months ago, there was an ArboristSite thread about having success with a 361 unlimited coil in an 880. Although the 461 is still pretty new, someone there may have swapped coils on one.

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws??? #9  
When most want more power/speed they modify the muffler, or have it ported. There are a few very talented saw builders that can work your saw over for around $250. Well worth the $ in my opinion.

+1

Muff mod and porting.

/ Where to find performance parts for chainsaws??? #10  
I seized my Stihl 044 a few years ago. Melted the piston. I was able to save the saw by ordering a replacement from Bailey's Online. You can search by saw type. It worked for me... And they do ship here to Canada.