Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference .

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #11  
Per /Pine " IMO...anyone and I mean anyone that does not follow manufacturer's specifications, the operating, care and maintenance instructions...is not smart enough to operate the piece of equipment to begin with...! "

Yea O.K. !! Only Part of that Statement that is Valid or has any Merit is the " IMO " !! :thumbsup:

Exactly the Point of my " tirade " . I don't knock anyone for how they choose to utilize their equipment , Was just curious how they mix their fuel since the ethanol is here to stay . Everyone has a opinion and your's is neither anymore important or any less than anyone else's . :laughing:
Not Bashing You what so ever , But Sadly , Many People who had purchased those Ford Explorer's did what the Manufacturer Stated also and were did it get them ??

Fred H.

Fred,
I am unfamiliar with the "Explorer" issues...it was not mentioned in the OP...if it was as bad as it gets I'm surprised I do not remember any major news about class action law suits as I'm sure there would have been...?
...That said I am quite familiar problems involving Ethonal and gas engines...I may be wrong but I think the first issues were recognized by outboard marine engines owners/manufacturers...

Take your quote " I don't knock anyone for how they choose to utilize their equipment"...I'll use it as the crux of my point...I'll use Stihl chainsaws for my example, they make many different models where each model has it's limitations...IMO if you "utilize" said model beyond it limitations (again) IMO...you are abusing your "equipment" (most of us are guilty of this to one extent or another)...If you read the warranty literature that comes with the "equipment" and you do not follow it the warranty is void...one more time it's just my opinion but if buy quality equipment (those who think there is actually "tools" from H.F that don't suck should disregard my missives) you should respect and abide by the manufacturers specifications/recommendations...to do elsewise is just dumb...and as you say it's just one persons opinion...

On a side (point) note...I do not like to either borrow or loan tools...BUT...I would rather loan a tool to someone that has respect for the equipment they use and want to know they are operating it as per manufacturers recommendations...than take it upon themselves to decide say more oil is better for my saw etc. than what the manufacturer does...

On another (farther removed) side note point...if you read the manuals on most diesel engine manufacturers you will see that they tell the user to NOT use "starting fluids" (ether etc.)...If anyone has seen as many melted piston tops as I have (marine engines)...they would never use "starting fluid"...

Fred,...don't get me wrong, I understand that "a little more oil" won't hurt...in a pinch I have always used more than probably recommended but I stand by my realization that the manufacture knows best...

Maybe I'm wrong but perhaps some users know what is better for their "equipment" than the people that make it do!!!...

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #12  
50:1 is really just a EPA thing, or so I've heard from solid sources.

It will not hurt a saw to run a little more oil.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #13  
The Explorer thing was really a Firestone tire thing, I think?

It was all over the news for months a few years ago...

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #14  
50:1 is really just a EPA thing, or so I've heard from solid sources.
It will not hurt a saw to run a little more oil.

Probably right about EPA. Their goal is to ruin our stuff & wreck lives, all for what? China doesn't have to put up with this crap.
And to **** with the grandkids world anyway how did those little f***ers get so much power with the gov't?

Just kidding :cool:

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #15  
I use Husky or Stihl oil, 50:1 with Premium gas. Mix only a gallon at a time, so most of the time using fresh gas. Run that newer Husky, 1970's Husky, Husky blower, Stihl 024 and Stihl combo trimmer.

I run that mix/gas based on inputs from pro-arborist, and engine builder for pro moto-crosser.

Explanation from Pro engine builder, was newer oils lubricate better. Just like most newer vehicles run 10-30w compared to old 30w. Better oil blends and additives.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #16  
   / Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #17  
Maybe its an Oregon thing, Fred.
I have been running 32:1 since the 1970s in all of our 2 strokes.
The only "problem" that this causes is that none of our engines ever fail, so i never "get" to buy new stuff!
Chain saws, line trimmers, outboard moters; I have never had one fail yet.
And they all run perfect.
And let me add that all of the talk about ethanol problems in small engines; i've never seen it.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #18  
And let me add that all of the talk about ethanol problems in small engines; i've never seen it.

I have so many engines I can't even get started on ethanol problems, so I have been ignoring it, hoping it just passes me by and so far it has just passed me by. Currently it appears to unfairly target men who are on forums. :D :D :D

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #20  
Well this seems a correct thread for me ,I borrowed my sons Craftsman 40cc 18 in blade ,I have cut about 3 trunk loads of wood ,first load gave me a bit of run issues . Next day it cut a load likity split not a skipped beat . Later went out to cut near my house with slightly less cut it seized ,I was running about 30-1 oil mix .Got it loose gently and run well but looking in plug hole the wall looked possibly scored a bit ,is it screwed and I guess do they need to cool every couple minutes rather than steady running .Thanks for any suggestions .