Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference .

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #31  
Fred,
I am unfamiliar with the "Explorer" issues...it was not mentioned in the OP...if it was as bad as it gets I'm surprised I do not remember any major news about class action law suits as I'm sure there would have been...?
QUOTE]
Way off topic but some might need to know: I am sure you could Google it and get the whole story. This was big news several years ago and did involve lots of lawsuits against Ford. The reason was high speed rollovers caused by underflated tires which was what Ford specified. I don't recall the exact pressures Ford was recommending but it was like 26 PSI or thereabouts which caused so much side wall flex that many of their Explorers were involved in roll over accidents. NTSB finally figured it out and Ford PAID. Someone may recall the reason for the low pressure required by Ford, but it escapes me at the moment.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference .
Correct Gary : People were Following The Vehicle Manufacturers recommendations for tire pressure rather than the Tire makers recommendations thus serious issue's arose . I view Manufacturer's recommendations as Starting point , Not set in Stone and then throw in some common sense . Something Critical like tire pressure in Vehicles , I read what is on the side of the tire not what the car maker puts in their owner's manual .

My Old saw's and my new 441 smoke no more using 32/1 than when I have used my brother's mix of 50/1 for his Husky . The 041's I mentioned before were 20+ years old when I sold them and other than replacing the intake gasket on the older one , They ran like champs , ***** to start with no compression release like the new 441 has , but would start on 3rd or 4th pull regardless . New plug every year , ( Which I do every year for everything from log splitter to lawn mower , chainsaw , weed eater , etc..... ) , maybe wasting a few $$$ , but when I have wanted to use or needed to use any of my power equipment , it has been there and stood up to the task .

The Whole point of me starting this thread was just curious " How " everyone is dealing with the Ethanol gas on 2 cycle equipment and adjustments or additives that others may be using . No pi$$ing match with anybody , Whatever works for You , Great , More Power to You . I Know What Has Worked for me for 35+ years now since I graduated High School Thus I keep trucking down the road of Life .

Fred H.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #33  
32-1 = 3% oil While 50-1 = 2% oil . One ( 1 ) Percent difference .
Fred H.

Fred, that's a dang good way to look at it!
Guys, a tiny bit more oil wont hurt and can help...

FYI: 3% - 2% = 1% difference is wrong way to look at it.
3% is 50% MORE OIL than 2%, its a half again MORE more oil!

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #34  

Exactly

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #35  

Yeah 50% of 2% is a LOT more oil. :eek:

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #36  
I know several lawncare folks who just mix everything at 32:1. It's such a hassle to keep separate fuel cans for 16:1 32:1 and 50:1. For me, I try to limit my 2-stroke gear and now only my chainsaw needs a mix.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #37  
I know several lawncare folks who just mix everything at 32:1. It's such a hassle to keep separate fuel cans for 16:1 32:1 and 50:1. For me, I try to limit my 2-stroke gear and now only my chainsaw needs a mix.

Is this still an issue? I thought 50:1 was pretty standard now, at least for pro-level machines.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #38  
Yeah 50% of 2% is a LOT more oil. :eek:

True there's not much real much difference between 32 and 50 except your oil jug empties 50% faster. People have more money to burn these days not like the old days, and oil was 97c for a quart now its $9.00/qt and nobody cares. For most that's a quart every other spring, not much to worry about.

Environmentally it doesn't make much difference because most people probably follow mfr recommendation 50:1

I'd use 32:1 in old eqpt, if I wasn't sure if it had modern nikasil cylinder or needle bearings. But I don't have that old stuff anymore. Which is odd, I keep a lot of old stuff - actually too much - but my 2-strokes are all modern.

But 32 is a good deal for the oil store especially at $6 - $9 per quart !

Last edited:
   / Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #39  
Folks should run what ever mix ratio they want to. I've run 32:1 - 50:1 and have settled on 40:1. Most of my saws are ported and turn more rpm than stock. I like a little more oil... I also use chainsaws more than the average guy, logging, thinning and cutting 15-20 cords of firewood a year.

I know several saw builders that say 32:1 in their ported saws make more power than 50:1 and that's what they recommend...

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #40  
40:1 is what I run.