Husqvarna 51 Story

/ Husqvarna 51 Story #1  

Newell52

Tractor
John Deere 5410, John Deere GT235, John Deere GT262, Polaris Ranger
I have a 51 Husky that my dad bought new sometime around 92-93. It started giving trouble a while back, would quit running when it got warmed up. Took it to our local small engine shop, which only sells Stihl to get it looked at. They looked at it for a little while and said it was finished, inside of motor worn out. Offered us a few dollars trade on new Stihl. Wasn't ready to buy new saw just that day so I took it home. Got to thinking about it with winter coming on and needing a saw I started researching new saws. Finally settled on an Echo CS500P. Have used it a little so far and really like it. But the rest of the story is I got to thinking about the old Husky 51 so I got it out of the barn and put it back together as they had given it back to me in pieces. Got it back together and it cranked right up. The service manager at the place I work does a little small engine work on the side so I took it to him to look at. He pulled the muffler off and looked at the piston and cylinder and said it looked good to him. He checked the ignition module and said it was weak. Went to the parts store and bought new one for $70 and he installed it and cleaned up the saw, put it back together. I used it yesterday, no problems. Moral is I guess the shop I took it to did not want to go to the trouble of fixing my Husky, just wanted to seel one of their new Stihls. I wont be taking anything else to their shop. So, always get a 2nd opinion. I love this old saw and glad I can use it a few more years.

/ Husqvarna 51 Story #2  
I like the Echo, Do you still use yours? What size bar?

/ Husqvarna 51 Story
Yea, just bought it this month. It has a 20" bar. Haven't used it much but it cuts like a beast, starts easy and warms up quick. Hope it lasts as long as the old Husky.

/ Husqvarna 51 Story #4  
Part of the reason I started the Chainsaw Repair site. So folks can learn on their own and get 2nd 3rd 4th opinions. Then get help and walk through working on their saws all for FREE. Without being ripped off off by some shops out there. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/index.php

/ Husqvarna 51 Story #5  
I have a 51 Husky that my dad bought new sometime around 92-93. It started giving trouble a while back, would quit running when it got warmed up. Took it to our local small engine shop, which only sells Stihl to get it looked at. They looked at it for a little while and said it was finished, inside of motor worn out. Offered us a few dollars trade on new Stihl. Wasn't ready to buy new saw just that day so I took it home. Got to thinking about it with winter coming on and needing a saw I started researching new saws. Finally settled on an Echo CS500P. Have used it a little so far and really like it. But the rest of the story is I got to thinking about the old Husky 51 so I got it out of the barn and put it back together as they had given it back to me in pieces. Got it back together and it cranked right up. The service manager at the place I work does a little small engine work on the side so I took it to him to look at. He pulled the muffler off and looked at the piston and cylinder and said it looked good to him. He checked the ignition module and said it was weak. Went to the parts store and bought new one for $70 and he installed it and cleaned up the saw, put it back together. I used it yesterday, no problems. Moral is I guess the shop I took it to did not want to go to the trouble of fixing my Husky, just wanted to seel one of their new Stihls. I wont be taking anything else to their shop. So, always get a 2nd opinion. I love this old saw and glad I can use it a few more years.

Why did you take a Husky to a Stihl shop in the first place; not saying they couldn't fix one, but it makes sense to go to the shop which works on sells the brand you own? :confused2:

/ Husqvarna 51 Story #6  
Moral is I guess the shop I took it to did not want to go to the trouble of fixing my Husky, just wanted to seel one of their new Stihls.

Reminded me of the old saying:

Never ask a barber "Do I need a haircut?"

Bruce

/ Husqvarna 51 Story
Because it's the only shop in my town.

/ Husqvarna 51 Story #8  
Because it's the only shop in my town.

You know getting out and seeing what other towns have to offer can be fun...:thumbsup:

/ Husqvarna 51 Story #9  
That old 51 is a good saw and with a little attention will go another 10-20 years.

I do my own work, but as far as shops go, I drive past a couple Stihl dealers to get to a good dealer. Bout one hour away. It's well worth the drive!!!

/ Husqvarna 51 Story #10  
That old 51 is a good saw and with a little attention will go another 10-20 years.

I do my own work, but as far as shops go, I drive past a couple Stihl dealers to get to a good dealer. Bout one hour away. It's well worth the drive!!!

That's a long way to find a good dealer.:D Thought you had a gajillion stihl places out there.