TSC Chainsaw Sharpener

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #51  
I have a timberline sharpener. After you figure it out, its great. It gets a chain just sharp as new. Its high dollar but its worth it. And im a cheapskate.
Sorry if you didn't want the unsolicited input.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #52  
Thanks, do you consider that chain loose? and you sharpen away from the tooth not into it, right?

Last edited:
   / TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #53  
I see now, sharpen from back to front.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #54  
Also... why doesn't some clever manufacturing company produce a machine sharpener that doesn't require removing the chain? Something like the business end of an Oregon 511 unit that mounts atop a vice, such that you can just clamp your bar into it and go to work? Is that not feasible?

xtn

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #55  
I would never go back to a hand file after buying chain sharpener.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #56  
Thanks for the Video's I learned a bit.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #57  
i got one from harbor freight about ten years ago.i still use a file when i am out in the field.you can set the m up to where they just take a little bite out of your chain.i would suggest starting out with a old chain till you get the hang of it.
RICK

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #58  
I still take the chain off when I'm done for the day to clean the saw up and sharpen.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #59  
Chainsaw Sharpener - Save on this Electric Chain Sharpener

It is on sale for $27 so we picked up one today. Dad used to say they were only good to grind a way a good chain so I need to prove or disprove his opinion or experience. :) The TSC one my be nicer but it is more than twice as much too. I will try to post my experience if we get it out of the box before spring. Hoping to find an old one to practice on. :)

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener
You know if someone was interested in this sharpener I don't think they would get much information from this thread. I would not want to read 109+ replies only to find a hand full giving useful information.

It does not matter how great you/we are at hand sharpening a chain. It only matters that the chain cuts to my/your satisfaction.

I don't care if you use a machine or hand file, and I don't care if it takes you 30 seconds or 30 minutes to sharpen. What I do care about is useful information, what works for you. Maybe there is something you do that I could incorporate into my hand filing or machine filing that would be useful. I think this thread is beyond that now.

It is easy to misconstrue someone's reply, read something into it that is not there, and totally take it out of context. That has been achieved in this thread.

Basically a thread that could have some very useful information and actually help someone has turned out to be useless.

I hope to have the electric sharpener up and running this weekend but the holiday crunch could put a damper on this. I will however post my thoughts on the TSC brand once I give it a try. In a new thread of course. I think it would be a nice little machine to have on a rainy day. Sit down in the shop and sharpen some chains.

I am going to ask a moderator to lock this thread. I will start a new one after I try this thing out.

To everyone that contributed useful information, I thank you.