TSC Chainsaw Sharpener

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
   / TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #2  
I have a simular saw. Once you get them set up properly, they do a great job. My problem with it was that I tended to take too much metal off each time I sharpened the chain. So, the motorized one gathers dust while I am back to the old file method... Not saying there is anything wrong with them, but not for me.... [ I am old and untrainable... :) ]

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener
Jerry,

I have always sharpened by hand. I do have several old chains that I think I could keep sharp and just change out when needed. Everyone is always telling me to get an electric one that I will love being able to sharpen the chains and swap them out as needed.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener
Okay, I just called TSC and they have one in stock and it is on clearance for $99.99 and I have a coupon for 25% off clearance items:eek: so I could get the 149.00 for $70.00.:thumbsup:

I am going by at lunch tomorrow to look and make sure. They said they would put it in the back and hold it for me until Monday night when I can use the coupon.

So is it worth it?

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #5  
I love mine from Harbor freight have had it for 3 years now I wouldn't hesitate down the road to buy another one.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #6  
If you get one, it helps to start out with all new chains. You set the grinder up [ at least this is what I understand ] to sharpen a tooth, then move each same side tooth into the unit an sharpen it the same as the first. Then, set up for the other side, then do that side. So if you have an old chain that might have some cutters longer than the other from hand sharpening, you'd have to grind those teeth down to the lenght of the shortest cutters so you could use the same setup. Unless you want to reset the grinder for each tooth... [ geez, I'm confused now.... ] Probably depends on how close you have been trying to keep the file pressure the same while you used to do it by hand....

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #7  
My neighbor has some type of electric sharpener like what you are looking at. Swore by it until a month or so ago. I was cutting a large dead oak tree for him. Had two of my saws there. Once I got it on the ground he grabbed my smaller saw and started at the top while I blocked the large log. When we quit he asked me what type of sharpener I had. I said I use a hand file in a holder. He just shook his head, said my saws cut a lot better than his. I suggested he might not have it set up right. He asked me how many times I can sharpen a chain before it's worn out. I said I have no idea because the number of times is so high I don't count. He again shook his head and said 5-7 sharpenings and he's thru a chain.

Since you are a hand sharpening guy originally, I'm curious to see how you get along with a sharpener. Post again after this season and let us know how you got along with it.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #8  
sounds like your neighbor needs to watch someone who does this for a living,you just need to kiss the the chain tooth to sharpen it.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #9  
sounds like your neighbor needs to watch someone who does this for a living,you just need to kiss the the chain tooth to sharpen it.

Yep, I agree. And those that use a sharpener need to watch someone that knows how to use a file.

And since all that's needed is a kiss, I choose to do it with a file. 2 strokes normally. 3 if I've hit wire or a rock or whatever.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #10  
Yep, I agree. And those that use a sharpener need to watch someone that knows how to use a file.

And since all that's needed is a kiss, I choose to do it with a file. 2 strokes normally. 3 if I've hit wire or a rock or whatever.

What angle and file size you use?