Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar.

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar. #1  

BlackRaptor

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
20131223_142717.jpg20131223_142809.jpg20131223_142820.jpg20131223_142849.jpg

Hey guys thought I would post this for anyone looking at this saw.

Yesterday and today I decided to drop a large tree that was almost dead and want to plant something new in its place. Tree was solid with no inner rot. The 460 had the 24" bar on it and new chain. It handled the bar ok. You could tell it was a bit much for the saw. But its nice to have for that rare cut. Also bigger isn't always better. The 24" bar was a huge pain trying to cut the tree up once dropped. Gets in the way and I was itching to get the 18" bar back on. I have to say 18" on the 460 is perfect for power and fast cutting.

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar. #2  
View attachment 351654View attachment 351655View attachment 351656View attachment 351657

Hey guys thought I would post this for anyone looking at this saw.

Yesterday and today I decided to drop a large tree that was almost dead and want to plant something new in its place. Tree was solid with no inner rot. The 460 had the 24" bar on it and new chain. It handled the bar ok. You could tell it was a bit much for the saw. But its nice to have for that rare cut. Also bigger isn't always better. The 24" bar was a huge pain trying to cut the tree up once dropped. Gets in the way and I was itching to get the 18" bar back on. I have to say 18" on the 460 is perfect for power and fast cutting.

I looked at the 460 and it looks like a good solid saw I might get that one when the time comes.

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar.
It really has been a great saw I would buy it again tomorrow if I didn't have it. The 4 year warranty was a nice perk. And I worked it hard on that tree and for being a non pro saw it worked great even with the big bar on such a large tree.

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar. #4  
In January, I will be clearing part of a 4.4 acre, densely wooded lot for my next home site. My trusty Husky 353 with a 20" bar and 4 chains that are ready to go will work well for most of the cuts, but have convinced myself I need more horsepower and a 24" bar for a couple trees.

I seriously considered a 460 with the 24" bar but came to the conclusion it may be a bit much bar for it, as the 20" is for my 353. I have been waffling between the 460 and a 555 with 24" bar, but leaning towards the 555. You post just pushed me to the 555 :) Thanks!

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar. #5  
In January, I will be clearing part of a 4.4 acre, densely wooded lot for my next home site. My trusty Husky 353 with a 20" bar and 4 chains that are ready to go will work well for most of the cuts, but have convinced myself I need more horsepower and a 24" bar for a couple trees.

I seriously considered a 460 with the 24" bar but came to the conclusion it may be a bit much bar for it, as the 20" is for my 353. I have been waffling between the 460 and a 555 with 24" bar, but leaning towards the 555. You post just pushed me to the 555 :) Thanks!

Neither one of those saws you mentioned is going to be a very large step up from what you already have. A 372XP or something in that power class is where you need to go if you're cutting much big wood. If not, you can probably get it all done with what you already have. Sounds like a good excuse to get another saw though and everyone needs another saw...

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar. #6  
Both Husky and Stihl over rate their home owner saws, as mentioned a good 70cc saws would be best. Steve

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar. #7  
Neither one of those saws you mentioned is going to be a very large step up from what you already have. A 372XP or something in that power class is where you need to go if you're cutting much big wood. If not, you can probably get it all done with what you already have. Sounds like a good excuse to get another saw though and everyone needs another saw...

Ha, ha, ha. You saw right through my motives... :)

I am really glad I saw this thread. All of your are making me rethink my previous thought out strategy. My 353 will cut 90% or better of what needs to be done as most are less than 12" - 14" or so in diameter, mostly hardwoods. The 20" bar is a bit much for the saw and it would be better of with a 16" - 18", but I like the 20" for the reach and it just takes longer to cut with it rather than a more powerful saw with the same 20" bar.

It has been awhile since I have been at the property and have had all of my thoughts on tractor usage due to the very rocky surface I will be dealing with for making the driveway and building the large garden area. But there are 4 more larger trees of a size I have never cut, more like 24" - 26" in diameter in the garden and home areas. Felling them should not be a problem as there is nothing in the area and they can land wherever and not damage anything other than a few other trees.

I would rather attempt to bring them down myself rather than pay a pro to do it. So I guess a $900 saw that would do the job much more easily than a $625 saw would be a wise investment. I just had not considered that much of an investment...

I do like Husqvarna equipment, as I have had excellent service with no down time out of my Husky mid range: backpack blower, string trimmer/blade and chainsaw. But I am not wedded to any brand of good quality equipment.

Can anyone recommend any other chainsaws comparable to the Husqvarna 372XP with a 24" bar? I would like to weigh my options and purchase when something is on sale, as I will not need to upgrade until March or April of 2014.

Thanks to all and sorry if I am kind of stealing this thread.

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar.
Your not stealing in the least this is why i posted this thread.
Here are my thoughts on the bigger saw. Is more power better yes is a pro saw leaps and bounds a better machine than a rancher . Yes. Did I need to spend the extra. No.
That tree in my pic is 30" at its widest and the 460 dropped it pretty quick it worked is very hard but got the job done.
I paid 450 bucks for my saw 24" bar and 4 year warranty. Than added a 18" bar a week later. 95% of my cutting is with the 18" 5% with that 24" which ends up being a few hours a year I need to cut something big. Like the tree in the picture I posted very little of it needs the 24" and that's a pretty nice sized tree least for my place.

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar. #9  
Thanks BlackRaptor. It sound like my usage is similar to yours. With your comment, the higher end consumer saws are back in my consideration. I sure do like the price point of something $650 or less for my non-pro usage. Guess I will have to weigh all of the posted options and then make a decision based upon sale pricing, maybe.

This saw will be for a dedicated 24" bar. I really like my 353 for general, day-to-day usage, but am not going to try it on the larger trees. Actually I would go to a shorter bar, but ready have a bunch of 20' chains so will stay with those.

/ Finally got to cut a large solid tree with the460 24" bar. #10  
Does anyone have an opinion on something like a Jonsered CS 2166 and whether or not it is just a re-branded Husqvarna model of some type? I saw one of these in TSC recently and it felt a bit heavier than a similar sized Husqvarna. Or maybe I was just more tired than usual that day :) I am getting up in age so also have to consider a saws weight vs. usage time.