My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18"

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #11  
I just bought a 50cc saw myself. I've been looking for an ms260 for a while, but didn't want to drop $300. Then I scored a shindaiwa 488. It's the same size and I bought it from a guy who had just way overpaid for a husky 562xp ($1300). I got my shindaiwa for $60 with three brand new chains and a gallon of bar oil. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer stihls, but for that price I couldn't say no. And I must say, I love the size. My stihl is a 361 with a full wrap, 25" bar and dogs off a 460 (bought it that way). The 50cc is an awesome compliment to it. Dropped a poplar with the stihl on Saturday then limbed with the shindaiwa, perfect. Have fun with the 261! You'll love it.

Y'all remember your chaps now,
Ryan

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #12  
   / My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #13  
Every Stihl that I have ever used will sputter on cold start under full choke, at which time I put them on half choke and they start in one or two more pulls, except my MS261. If I am quick enough with the 261, I can flip it from full choke to half choke while it is sputtering and it revs up.

Popular misconception. The C-M M-Tronic saws don't have a half choke position. They'll run on "start" (^) or full choke until you blip the throttle or shut it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMj5ticEz7g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #14  
My MS361 and MS250 do not have half choke positions, even though it is pictured on the case. Full choke til they burp, flip choke to off and by 2nd pull are running.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #15  
My MS361 and MS250 do not have half choke positions, even though it is pictured on the case. Full choke til they burp, flip choke to off and by 2nd pull are running.

;)....

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #16  
Hmmm, my 361 definitely has a half choke. It has the position on the case and I have watched the plate in the carb too.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #17  
Well, I've never took the breather off and watched mine. But the Lever has an "off" detent, "on" detent and "full choke" detent. It don't even slow down when flipped from "choke" to "on", goes right past the "half choke" symbol on the case.

I'll investigate. :)

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #18  
Here's some photos. My MS361 does not have "half choke". First photos are with cover installed showing the marking on the cover of half choke. Next photos with cover off showing the various detent positions of the lever. No half choke.

DSC07115.JPGDSC07110.JPGDSC07111.JPGDSC07112.JPGDSC07113.JPGDSC07114.JPG

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #19  
Nice clean '361!

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #20  
On most all Stihls I have run except the newer computerized models, you cannot get to the "half choke" position by sliding the lever down (if you try, you'll feel a long spongy section of travel and it will finally click into full choke). You can only do it by going to full choke first and then moving back up. And I use quotes around "half choke" because it's more of a fast-idle / warm-start setting than anything else.

So, slide to full choke and pull until saw burbles. Move lever up, which will engage the "fast idle" position. Pull again until saw fires up, let it rev for an instant, then briefly hit the trigger to disengage fast idle, which also moves the lever into the run position.

In certain cases, where a saw is warm but hasn't been run more than 5-10 minutes, I will start it by sliding lever down to full choke, then move up one into "fast idle". Then pull the string and hit trigger to disengage "fast idle" once it starts. This is called a "warm start" in Stihl terminology.

If a saw has just been running, I just move lever into run and it should start fine there without going to warm start.

Richard, I'd bet a sack of donuts you can engage the warm-start position if you do it on the way back up from full choke. If you can't, then it's broke!