My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18"

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #21  
Yep, just like you said!!!! I would have never noticed that because I'm usually on the throttle a little after clicking off full choke. The only way to get it to detent in half choke is by going full first, then slowly and gently raise the lever until it soft clicks into half choke mode. No way I'd hit that with a pair of gloves on.

What kinda donuts??? :)

Sorry to the OP for the hijack but maybe he's learning something too!!!

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #22  
Huh, that's interesting. Here I thought Stihl must have changed in mid model. I'm glad we got it figured out before I took my saw apart. I coincidentally had it apart yesterday for cleaning and checked the operation of that breather plate. Mine definitely has a position where it is half closed. My question for you Richard, is how do you start your saw? I typically use the leg clamp method with the brake engaged, and the decomp valve pressed. Two pulls on full choke, then bump it up to half and it screams to life. Then i Quickly blip the throttle to move the control to the run position, which prevents excessive clutch slipping.I never start mine without the half choke.. If you are about to try it, make sure you have the chain brake on, because the half choke holds the throttle wide open and it revs fast.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #23  
What kinda donuts??? :)

I think it was a mistake to mention that -- now I have donuts on my mind....

We've been making them from scratch ever since I ordered an Emeril deep fryer on TV during a drunken stupor one night. Had skied that day, got a good dinner from wife, drank a few beers, fell asleep on sofa, and awoke to Emeril frying donuts on TV at 1am or so. Thought it was a dream next day, then the fryer showed up by UPS a week later.

I'm sure it's good for other food, but I've been experimenting only with donuts. Favorite so far are apple cider donuts dredged in sugar and cinnamon.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #24  
Huh, that's interesting. Here I thought Stihl must have changed in mid model. I'm glad we got it figured out before I took my saw apart. I coincidentally had it apart yesterday for cleaning and checked the operation of that breather plate. Mine definitely has a position where it is half closed. My question for you Richard, is how do you start your saw? I typically use the leg clamp method with the brake engaged, and the decomp valve pressed. Two pulls on full choke, then bump it up to half and it screams to life. Then i Quickly blip the throttle to move the control to the run position, which prevents excessive clutch slipping.I never start mine without the half choke.. If you are about to try it, make sure you have the chain brake on, because the half choke holds the throttle wide open and it revs fast.

Bear with my long answer about starting.

When I bought my 361 the guy who owns the store was my Son's age, 40ish. He guided me toward the 361. Said the good part about it was for old guys like myself it had a compression release. Then with a red face he said, I don't mean you, I mean older guys. We laughed.

I've never used the compression release. Maybe I'm missing something.

I put it on full choke, no chain brake. Hold the saw by the trigger grip with my right hand, bar down, lift the saw 6 or 8 inches, pull the rope with my left while pushing the saw down with my right. Usually takes 3 pulls and it'll burp. Flip the choke off with my thumb and by the second pull it's running.

Excuse me while I try your method.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #25  
Panting...........

I tried your method, although I don't know what the leg clamp method is. So I sat the saw on the floor, slipped my toes into the trigger handle to hold it down, full choke, depressed compression release, pull twice, flipped to half choke mode and pulled 12 times with not so much as a thought of cranking.

Picked up the saw, went to full choke, held it my way, pulled once and saw burped, flipped choke off and pulled once and it started.

Not sure what I was doing wrong. Guess maybe leave it on full choke until it burps???

Panting....... ;)

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #26  
I think it was a mistake to mention that -- now I have donuts on my mind....

We've been making them from scratch ever since I ordered an Emeril deep fryer on TV during a drunken stupor one night. Had skied that day, got a good dinner from wife, drank a few beers, fell asleep on sofa, and awoke to Emeril frying donuts on TV at 1am or so. Thought it was a dream next day, then the fryer showed up by UPS a week later.

I'm sure it's good for other food, but I've been experimenting only with donuts. Favorite so far are apple cider donuts dredged in sugar and cinnamon.

I shouldn't even be having this conversation. I've struggled with addiction for years. I belong to D.A. Donuts Anonymous.......

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #27  
Richard, obviously your method works fine for you. I may be what some folks describe as overly safety conscious. I have always "drop-started" my saw: brake on, left hand on top handle, right hand pulling the cord. Then I took a one day chainsaw safety course in my area. I have changed methods, and prefer the leg clamp method. YouTube could probably describe the method better than me.

Also, back to the half choke. If you put it on full choke, then without touching the throttle, move the lever up, it will only move one position, to half choke. Then you blip the throttle and it moves up to run. Even with gloves on, half choke is easy to get to because it stops there unless you have the throttle pressed too.

If this thread encourages anyone to update their starting method to a safer way, I will be so pleased.

Last edited:
   / My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #28  
Yeah, have to pull at full choke till it burps. Then half choke. Leg clamp is putting the handle between your thighs.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #29  
Yeah, have to pull at full choke till it burps. Then half choke. Leg clamp is putting the handle between your thighs.

Oh man, you soooooo lost me. I'm not putting any part of my saw between my thighs. Are you talking about putting the throttle handle between your legs, gripping it with your legs, then putting your right hand on the top handle, then pulling the rope with your left hand??

Oh,,, no,,,, you are saying put the trigger handle between your legs, hold the top handle with your left hand and pull the rope with your right!!!! You are not only standing with your feet together, you are crossing your arms to pull the rope???

Is that a prescribed safe method of starting a chainsaw?? I don't think I'm coordinated enough to do that.... I'll try it tomorrow when I'm fresh.

It's your method, not sure I should have to YouTube it to figure it out. I'd rather you just explained it to me. But I'll search. :)

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #30  
Well it's not my method. It's actually one of two methods approved by OSHA for starting a chainsaw, the other being on the ground with your foot on the handle. I'm not saying it's the only way, but it is safer. You don't "have to YouTube it" you don't "have to" do anything. I'm just saying, it's not my method and a video might be helpful. I honestly should say that I am amazed you would even be willing to try a different method than what you use. Most people are dead set in their ways when it comes to anything regarding a chainsaw. I appreciate your open mindedness, and ask that you give it one more chance for me, if you like. Good luck.