My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18"

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #41  
Heck Tom, I didn't know my saw HAD half choke so we both learned!!! ;)

Just don't look while you are drop starting. I used to cut a bit professionally and I never have broken myself from drop starting. I know, bad habit I need to break.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #42  
I never worried too much about drop starting when I used to do it, but I ALWAYS used the chain brake.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #43  
I would never say "my way is the best way". It's just how I've always done it. I've never had any incident when starting that way. But then, I don't have the saw set on fast idle either. If something went wrong and I dropped the saw it would at most be idling.

I get no sense of safety when I used the leg clamp or crotch method. Total accident waiting to happen for me. I've put my foot in the trigger handle and started that way a few times which I find pretty stable and safe. But it's just faster to drop start.

I work alone 99% of the time and will start my saw dozens of times in an afternoon of cutting.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18"
Good discussion!

I personally either start the saw on the ground with my foot in the handle (usually when engine cold) or drop-start (usually when engine warm).

I need to post a video of the M Tronic start-up. To start cold you lock the throttle trigger and put the "choke" lever in the "start" position. The saw will start and continue to run with out moving the lever or blipping the throttle. It runs at a fast idle, NOT wide open like the previous models. I found this odd at first but it works fine. Once you blip the throttle it goes to a normal idle and the lever goes to the run position. To kill it, hold the lever up and saw dies. The lever is spring-loaded to return to the run position, so it's ready to start (as long as it's hot) without any further change of the lever.

I've ran a few more tanks of fuel through the saw and I think it's basically broke in. I'm very happy and I'll admit I've had to grin a few times and let out a loud "woohoo" after a few good cuts. This 261 is quite a saw! :)

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #45  
I need to post a video of the M Tronic start-up. To start cold you lock the throttle trigger and put the "choke" lever in the "start" position. The saw will start and continue to run with out moving the lever or blipping the throttle. It runs at a fast idle, NOT wide open like the previous models.

Interesting, I still have not run an Mtronic. Sounds nice.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #46  
I would never say "my way is the best way". It's just how I've always done it. I've never had any incident when starting that way. But then, I don't have the saw set on fast idle either. If something went wrong and I dropped the saw it would at most be idling.

I get no sense of safety when I used the leg clamp or crotch method. Total accident waiting to happen for me. But it's just faster to drop start.

I work alone 99% of the time and will start my saw dozens of times in an afternoon of cutting,

I too work alone most of the time and agree with OVRSZD but heres the wrong "crotch method" to use! thought you guys would get a kick out of this :laughing: . . . .John

Attachments

• how to start a chainsaw.jpg
    how to start a chainsaw.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 158
   / My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #47  
Hey, where did you get that picture of me?

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #48  
John, now you did it!!!! The Safety Police are gonna be all over you for posting a picture that might entice someone to try that!!!! ;) :D