My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18"

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #1  

walker450

Platinum Member
Tractor
M5040, BX25D, F2880, ZD1211, GR2120
I finally decided to buy a smaller saw to compliment my trusty Stihl 039 20". I decided on the Pro model MS 261C-M.

I have only ran 1 tank of fuel through it so far and I tried to somewhat take it easy on it to let it break in before making any long WOT cuts.

Runs very smooth and is noticeably lighter and easier to handle than my 039.

I had to stage a pic with my son, this will be his saw one day. My 039 was my dads...

My only gripe so far is the fuel and oil caps. It is very hard to clean debris off before opening. I may need to try some sort of brush, a rag doesn't seem to cut it.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #2  
congrats the MS261 is a very nice saw all the pro saws are. Should be around for a long time. My dads 026 is still running good 20 some years later

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #3  
I have an old school wisk brush in my chain saw tool kit. It gets most of the debris before I open the caps. I have a Stihl MS261 as well, great saw.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #4  
Good saw choice!

I use an old paint brush to clean dust/gunk off the saw when I need to do any work on it. I don't worry about it when adding bar oil or fuel though, unless it's real bad. The flippy caps are fairly robust against dust/gunk getting inside the tanks.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #5  
Congrats of your saw.... and on the continuation of your family traditions...

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #6  
Yep, nice, well balanced saw. I have my Dad's 024AV; I think he got it in 1980. Still works great. The 024/026/26x series is a nice handling saw.

I have other nice saws, bigger and smaller. But that 024 is typically the first saw I reach for.

congrats the MS261 is a very nice saw all the pro saws are. Should be around for a long time. My dads 026 is still running good 20 some years later

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #7  
You picked a good one this time. Steve

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18"
Just giving an update... I have ran 4 tanks of fuel through it and it seems to be a great saw! Starts and idles great, revs very nicely and is fairly lightweight. I can also tell that the vibration is lower vs my 039.

I'll try to give another update when I reach the 10-12 tank full range.

/ My New Stihl MS 261C-M 18" #10  
Every Stihl that I have ever used will sputter on cold start under full choke, at which time I put them on half choke and they start in one or two more pulls, except my MS261. If I am quick enough with the 261, I can flip it from full choke to half choke while it is sputtering and it revs up.