Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust

/ Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust #1  

dave1174

Tractor
none
The saw starts first pull and runs fine but it has no power I have adjusted the carb. It is also blowing a brown oil from the exaust smokes a lot.

/ Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust #2  
what brand saw we talking about ?? how old ???

/ Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust
Its a sthil 510 think its from the late 1980s

/ Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust #4  
Last time you fueled it up, did you put bar oil in the fuel and fuel in the bar oil? It is easy to mix up the caps on an old Stihl.

/ Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust #5  
Yeah drain out the fuel and start with a can of the premix stuff or something. It has the right ratio. Or the saw is worn out and time to be a wall hanger.

/ Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust
Yeah drain out the fuel and start with a can of the premix stuff or something. It has the right ratio. Or the saw is worn out and time to be a wall hanger.

Starting to think you are right. seems like it might be leaking fuel as I found some in the air intake today. It will run fine on idle but will not rev at all.

/ Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust #7  
Sounds like your muffler may be carboned up. Try removing it and cleaning out all the gunk in it. I had a weedeater that did the exact same thing and it was the muffler baffles stopped up.

/ Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust #8  
I have never had that problem. I have worked on several that smoked a lot and dripped oil and 90% of the time it is caused by the way it is operated. Extended periods of idle and cutting at less then wide open throttle.
Overly rich carb will contribute and that can be corrected.
I would do as suggested and clean the muffler.
This is the way it should look after cutting MANY cords of wood with a quality fuel/oil mix with the right ratio---
Muffler.jpg

/ Chainsaw has no power and blowing oil from exaust #10  
Hi Dave,
Hope you don't mind if I borrow your thread. :cloud9:

I have a Farm Boss 421, 18" bar, Unless you are real strong, with a great grip, it'll jerk the starter cord out of your hand, as it kicks back. It's 15/20 years old with moderate use.

Had at the dealer a few months ago, fixed some other little things. Then showed how to "Properly Start it. One problem, were I as big & strong as he is, I would not need a chain saw. Just break them up by hand.

Having lost about 1/2 strength due to old age & getting cut on a couple of months ago, here is my routine.
Remove spark plug,
Set throttle / close choke / pour a tiny amount fuel into carb.
Pull the starter cord briskly several times. 6/8
Screw spark plug in about 5 threads. Still loose & releases some compression.
When lucky it will fire off in a pull or 2.
Slowly open choke & let it rev. After a few seconds will let it idle down.
Tighten spark plug while its running.

After that it pulls like a champ - 8 / 10" mesquite & heavy feed.
Idles down so slow you wonder how it keeps running. Let it idle today for several minuets today just to see if it would die. It was ready to go even then.

Be nice to have 1 of the new models with a built in compression release. Have heard those start easy.

Thoughts????? Any after market compression release made???

Thanks