Anybody run Full Skip ?

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #11  
Thank you S219. That's the first time I've seen it explained that way.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #12  
My Mind / Memory misses those old saws , But my Body Does Not :) .

Fred H.

Yup. They're a great classic saw, but for everyday use, they're heavier than a dead preacher. Very reliable. Biggest complaint I've seen is that if you didn't keep the screws holding them together tight, they shook themselves apart and busted up the castings

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Anybody run Full Skip ?
S219 : You still have that chain ?? Any way to get pictures , That would be kind of cool to see . :)

adirondackmtnman : Have a good story about the older of the 2 . Was up wood cutting in the snow . Was skidding logs down a hill to roadway , on the snow , it was easy . Had several logs already down and went for 1 more . During the entire morning , I had placed saw by a tree on opposite side of road without a problem . Last log came down hill but rather than sliding across road , it hit and stood on end then fell like 45 degrees away from my truck towards opposite side of road . :eek:

Yep , Saw took a Direct hit !! :shocked:

Literally Took Saw home in one of those Grocery paper bags , ( Except for bar ) . Went to Stihl dealer that afternoon . A Few used case parts , a few new case parts , and New Bar . Dealer took about 45 minutes getting it back together , took it out back and second pull fired right up . Only work I ever had done to it besides that was the annual tune up and a new intake manifold gasket . Had that saw for over 20 years and it was 3 - 5 years old when I bought it from same dealer . Hope my 441 gives me the same service .

Fred H.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #14  
S219 : You still have that chain ?? Any way to get pictures , That would be kind of cool to see . :)

adirondackmtnman : Have a good story about the older of the 2 . Was up wood cutting in the snow . Was skidding logs down a hill to roadway , on the snow , it was easy . Had several logs already down and went for 1 more . During the entire morning , I had placed saw by a tree on opposite side of road without a problem . Last log came down hill but rather than sliding across road , it hit and stood on end then fell like 45 degrees away from my truck towards opposite side of road . :eek:

Yep , Saw took a Direct hit !! :shocked:

Literally Took Saw home in one of those Grocery paper bags , ( Except for bar ) . Went to Stihl dealer that afternoon . A Few used case parts , a few new case parts , and New Bar . Dealer took about 45 minutes getting it back together , took it out back and second pull fired right up . Only work I ever had done to it besides that was the annual tune up and a new intake manifold gasket . Had that saw for over 20 years and it was 3 - 5 years old when I bought it from same dealer . Hope my 441 gives me the same service .

Fred H.

I doubt you'll get the service life out of the new one that you did on the old one. Just not put together with the same heft, not to say the new ones are no good, they are, but there's just something about a lady with a little age under her belt...;-) The intakes were finicky on those, the studs tended to pull out of the fiber block between the carb and jug, but they were the ultimate in serviceability. Just very intuitively put together. As evidenced by your dealer getting yours back to work as quickly as he did. Mine is late '60's/early 70's best I can place it, and most of the cases were cracked from loose screws, but the old feller we got it from had bought it new. That put it at or greater than 40 years when I acquired it, and the previous owner hadn't done anything but routine maintenance on it. Ran like a charm, great compression, even the crank seals were still good (although I replaced them just because I was in the neighborhood.) They're a looker of a saw when they're in factory trim too. I can't tell you how many raised eyebrows and 'WOW!!!'s I've had upon people coming into my shop. Usually it's followed by another 'WOW!!!' when they feel how heavy it is. Then yet another when I fire it up. Most of the guys I know have never heard anything like it.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #15  
The 441 starts nice with the compression release but it just does not sound the same .
I like the sound of my 441. I have a full skip for it but have never installed it.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ?
adirondackmtnman : Wondering if I did one of those Muffler Mods on my 441 , if I could at least get it to sound a little more like one of the old saw's would be really cool . :thumbsup:

OH Yes , When you feel the weight , 16 - 17+ or more with a 24" and 28" bar , But still a Awesome Classic .

Fred H.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #17  
adirondackmtnman : Wondering if I did one of those Muffler Mods on my 441 , if I could at least get it to sound a little more like one of the old saw's would be really cool . :thumbsup:

OH Yes , When you feel the weight , 16 - 17+ or more with a 24" and 28" bar , But still a Awesome Classic .

Fred H.

It would be louder, but I don't think it would sound more like the old ones, they topped out lower back then, and made their power at low RPM. I think that has a lot to do with their sound.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #18  
The 441 is also a strato saw, that contributes to the different sound as well.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #19  
The 441 is also a strato saw, that contributes to the different sound as well.

I notice a little tone difference between my 362 (strato) and the previous 361. A little quieter as well. Not a huge difference in sound from what my overused ears can hear though

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #20  
That is to take a narrower bite -- each cutter will only take half of the kerf -- but is still a full comp chain.
I have a variety of milling chains, and one of them actually alternates the cutter width for each three teeth in a row. It has a narrow to one side, narrow to the other, and then a full to clear the chip. Interesting design.
Fred,
Are you sawing boards with this chain? I once bought a chain that had half of the horozonal cutting edges ground off. It was for milling and did a surprizingly good job the one time I used it. The saw was a tiny Poulan.

S219,
I finally figured out that we're talking about two different ways of grinding off half of the horozonal cutting edges. You meant that the horozinal edges were ground to half of their origonal width. On my chain, the horizonal part of the tooth was ground completely off on every other tooth on each side. Maybe that wouldn't total up to half of the teeth but, I thought it would. The way your chain is configured really is an interesting concept. I'd never thought about doing it that way.