Anybody run Full Skip ?

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #31  
Semi chisels stay sharper longer in dirty wood

Amen. I wish more people realized this -- I see so many people running full chisel on dirty wood and they'd be so much better off with semi.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #32  
Amen. I wish more people realized this -- I see so many people running full chisel on dirty wood and they'd be so much better off with semi.

I have always heard that but what is the reason they stay sharper in dirty wood?

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #33  
The sharp pointy corner on full chisel gets dulled very easily (probably more like dented on a microscopic scale). On semi, the rounded blunt corner is less vulnerable.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #34  
The sharp pointy corner on full chisel gets dulled very easily (probably more like dented on a microscopic scale). On semi, the rounded blunt corner is less vulnerable.

Okay, I believe this. But dirt is dirt and pointy corner or rounded corner I would think would be dulled the same.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #35  
I am running the 440 sthil with a 42 inch bar and the full chisel skip chain. Cutting large ash killed by the emerald ash bore bug. Runs well even with the saw tip buried in the log. It is like flipping a switch when the chain gets dull. Ripping it up and then your done cutting. By the time this happens you have usually cut enough wood that your ready for a break. My next chain will be a semi chisel so I can compare the two on the same saw. Right now I am happy with the full.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #36  
Okay, I believe this. But dirt is dirt and pointy corner or rounded corner I would think would be dulled the same.

Couldn't tell you why myself, but it's true. Look at the chains used on harvesters and firewood processors, they're not even "semi" chisel, they're even more rounded for a longer lasting edge.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #37  
Couldn't tell you why myself, but it's true. Look at the chains used on harvesters and firewood processors, they're not even "semi" chisel, they're even more rounded for a longer lasting edge.

Ya, I know it is true. I am not questioning it, I just can't wrap my brain around as to why, never have been able to.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #38  
I believe you can trace the same theory to how knifes and cutting tools are sharpened. Some are sharpened to a very fine sharp point, which is great for cutting but the point dents/bends easily (on a microscopic scale). Others are sharpened to a more blunt edge, and don't cut as well but are much more resistant to damage.

Same deal with the chainsaw cutters except the differences between full and semi are mainly at the corner.

Just look at the sharp point of the full chisel (when sharp, it's smaller than the tip of a sharp pencil) and visualize how the slightest damage will flatten off the point, leaving you with a dull flat spot right where the cutter first engages the wood. On semi, there is no single vulnerable point like that. The whole rounded corner of the cutter is available to engage the wood. Ding up a couple pencil-point-sized sections there and it's not the end of the world.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #39  
I believe you can trace the same theory to how knifes and cutting tools are sharpened. Some are sharpened to a very fine sharp point, which is great for cutting but the point dents/bends easily (on a microscopic scale). Others are sharpened to a more blunt edge, and don't cut as well but are much more resistant to damage.

Same deal with the chainsaw cutters except the differences between full and semi are mainly at the corner.

Just look at the sharp point of the full chisel (when sharp, it's smaller than the tip of a sharp pencil) and visualize how the slightest damage will flatten off the point, leaving you with a dull flat spot right where the cutter first engages the wood. On semi, there is no single vulnerable point like that. The whole rounded corner of the cutter is available to engage the wood. Ding up a couple pencil-point-sized sections there and it's not the end of the world.

Good explanation

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #40  

Yes, very good explanation. Thank you.