Anybody run Full Skip ?

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
Recently purchased a back up chain for my 441 Stihl . All the Dealer had in .063 was full skip , So I said " What the Heck , Why not " . Have not ran full skip since summer part time logging work in High School then a few years full time after High School in late '70's . Cutting up a log truck load of Hardwood I had delivered last spring , mostly madrone with a few oaks , any were from 8" to 24"+ in diameter .

Whoa Nellie , Now that is some Wood Cutting .:thumbsup: I have found my favorite chain to use now . Still kick myself thinking back when I sold my 041's , that I should of kept the 28" bar I had on one of them but the 25" on the 441 does the job .:cool2:

Fred H.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #2  
I rarely run it anymore, but do have one loop to go on the 28" bar for my 461. I'd probably pull it out if I really had to sink all 28" of the bar in a softwood cut (where the chip clearing benefit of full skip is most needed and the added vibration and kickback potential is lowest). Up to now, the 461 hasn't had an issue pulling full-comp chains in hardwood with the 28" bar, so I haven't reached for the full skip loop at all.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #3  
I thought those skip chains were used when your saw didn't have the power to run a full tooth chain. If that's the case, my small husky could probably benefit from using 1

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #4  
Fred,
Are you sawing boards with this chain? I once bought a chain that had half of the horozonal cutting edges ground off. It was for milling and did a surprizingly good job the one time I used it. The saw was a tiny Poulan.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ?
StuckMotor : You mean like a Alaska sawmill ? Oh God , Heck No !! Use to run those in Forestry class in high school . Never figured out which end of the saw was the better position , Bar end or motor end . Both had their drawbacks :)

Kenmac : Our belief back in my younger years logging was just the opposite . Big saw , Faster Cut , Especially when talking trees that were 24"+ , with average being 32" to 42" . Sadly , those days are long gone around here , thus my departure from that industry years ago .

For the Casual user , they may not be a good thing , since as mentioned , they do have a higher kickback risk . It sure brought back memories though on that first log after installing it . :)

Like in the movie " Windtalker " or what ever it was called , " We were just a bunch of Young Fools back in then " !!
Fred H.

Last edited:
   / Anybody run Full Skip ? #6  
Still kick myself thinking back when I sold my 041's , that I should of kept the 28" bar I had on one of them but the 25" on the 441 does the job .:cool2:

Fred H.

I have a dandy 041av I'll sell you if you're missing yours. Just finished up a crank-out restoration on it a few months ago. Nothing beats those old saws. Purr like a kitten. A very MEAN kitten.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #7  
I thought those skip chains were used when your saw didn't have the power to run a full tooth chain. If that's the case, my small husky could probably benefit from using 1
I suppose it would work like that pretty well. Typically seen it used on large softwood trees like 1st, 2nd growth fir, to help keep the kerf from getting plugged with chips. Also when cutting with the grain.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #8  
You got it Fred, like an Alaska saw mill. I used to have an internet buddy who milled most of the wood for his house with a huge Stihl. I didn't even know skip tooth chains were used to cross cut.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ?
Nah , I'll pass on the 041 , ( :) ) Should of kept the longer bar though . The 441 starts nice with the compression release but it just does not sound the same . When I sold them both on Craig's L. , Guy responded like in 2 hours , Was at my house in another hour . Fired up the newer one and He was impressed in 2 pulls . Older one fired on first pull , and He was like " Gimme , Gimme " !! . Older one really had that " Sound " to it .

As Cqaigy2 mentioned , We used them almost exclusively logging . Big trees , Softwood , Douglass Fir and a occasional cedar here and there .

My Mind / Memory misses those old saws , But my Body Does Not :) .

Fred H.

/ Anybody run Full Skip ? #10  
Fred,
Are you sawing boards with this chain? I once bought a chain that had half of the horozonal cutting edges ground off. It was for milling and did a surprizingly good job the one time I used it. The saw was a tiny Poulan.

That is to take a narrower bite -- each cutter will only take half of the kerf -- but is still a full comp chain.

I have a variety of milling chains, and one of them actually alternates the cutter width for each three teeth in a row. It has a narrow to one side, narrow to the other, and then a full to clear the chip. Interesting design.