Chainsaw Clutch worn or too much rakers removed?

/ Chainsaw Clutch worn or too much rakers removed? #11  
Rakers filed too low can cause a host of clutch problems if run for too long. If you look at the clutch, it s composed of several pieces that are held in by springs and retainers. Check for broken springs or missing retainers. A clutch that "chatters" as a result of filed down rakers if run too long, will show uneven wear on its shoes with most of the wear on the ends. Look for "grooves" where the springs are fastened to the shoes as another sign of wear. In other words, a wearing clutch can be spotted before a clutch break down. I also had cut professionally and most clutch issues had to do with big saws running long bars. Its a popular move to put on 3/8's chain on the 55 and it will pull it as its a saw with a high compression engine, but its wise not to use too long a chain and bar in this conversion.

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw Clutch worn or too much rakers removed? #12  
Hmm - no one mentioned worn sprockets.

/ Chainsaw Clutch worn or too much rakers removed?
Thanks. Good info here. It does seem to be grabbing less (stalling chain) as I get 4 or 5 sharpenings away from when I ground the rakers down.
I'm going to check the clutch as Arrow indicated. On one hand it is 14 years old, on the other hand I'm only running a 18" bar with the 3/8" chain.

Radioman: Are you talking about the bar sprocket? Other than checking that it turns freely and hitting it with some oil, is there something else to check?

/ Chainsaw Clutch worn or too much rakers removed? #14  
1 way to find out if it's the clutch is to buy a new chain and try it. If the cutch does the same thing, then look at the clutch. If not, it's the way you ground the chain

/ Chainsaw Clutch worn or too much rakers removed? #15  
Thanks. Good info here. It does seem to be grabbing less (stalling chain) as I get 4 or 5 sharpenings away from when I ground the rakers down.
I'm going to check the clutch as Arrow indicated. On one hand it is 14 years old, on the other hand I'm only running a 18" bar with the 3/8" chain.

Radioman: Are you talking about the bar sprocket? Other than checking that it turns freely and hitting it with some oil, is there something else to check?

The sprocket where clutch is. not the bar. I dont know if you are running a power mate or old school sprockets. the old school sprockets wears out and should be replaced if it catches and adjusting the bar tension doesnt work. sometimes the chain jumps from worn sprockets.

Not the bar sprocket. The

/ Chainsaw Clutch worn or too much rakers removed?
If it has a floating rim (sprocket) does that mean it's a Powermate?
If so that's what I got when I replaced the .325" with 3/8" pitch chain/bar. Sprockets only 1-1/2 chains old. This thread just reminded me again I need to get a raker guage. And maybe a tank vent filter (other problems).