Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb.

/ Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
(IMO)
When there's a debate on how big a saw one should get, it seems the bigger is better crowd is always heard from. However, when I'm cutting firewood or logs, it seems 80%+ of my cutting is tops, branches, the fire wood from branches and the bulk of the tree that a small saw has no problem with. It's only on those few trunk cuts, (probably <20%, (maybe 5% of the total tree cuts?) that you think, yeah maybe a bigger saw would be little quicker.
For me, I rather be able to walk around for a longer amount of time with a lighter saw and not have to stop and rest than worry about the little time I lose on cuts for 5-20% of the tree. You can get a lot more wood cut with fewer breaks.

How to lighten saw: Take all the covers out. Clean the gunk from every crack. Holy Cr*p. I looked at all the gunk on the floor, even before I started seriously scraping. There's a lot of places or it to get blown around and cake up in these fan cooled motors. I bet after I scraped everything down I would of had a pint of gunk. It has to be close to a pound! Voila! Lighter saw!

(Anybody know the density of chainsaw scrapings? _This is the internet, the answer is probably out there)

Last edited:
   / Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #2  
Agreed. I think the ideal would be a 50cc saw and a 70cc. I started with a 60cc and now added 50 to the roster. For felling and bucking big rounds, I use the bigger saw, otherwise, 50ccs for me please. A 35cc top handle saw would be a nice addition too.

/ Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #3  
The smallest Husqvarna pro grade saw does everything I need a saw for.

The Mac 10-10s got to be a bit heavy.

Even for a guy that heats exclusively with wood

/ Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #4  
Agreed. I think the ideal would be a 50cc saw and a 70cc. I started with a 60cc and now added 50 to the roster. For felling and bucking big rounds, I use the bigger saw, otherwise, 50ccs for me please. A 35cc top handle saw would be a nice addition too.

Sounds like what I have. I use a 30cc top handle, with a 50cc all around and a 70cc big saw. All Stihl, of course. MS192T, MS261, MS441. The little 192 gets used the most.

/ Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #5  
Sounds like what I have. I use a 30cc top handle, with a 50cc all around and a 70cc big saw. All Stihl, of course. MS192T, MS261, MS441. The little 192 gets used the most.

Yep, that sounds pretty nice. I would like a 440, but they aren't cheap. I could probably sell my 361 for what I paid for it and put it towards one, but really, it does everything I want. Love the 260s also, used one a lot at work. I'd been looking for a used one in nice shape for under $300, when I found my Shindaiwa 488. It came with 3 new chains, and a gallon of bar oil for $50. That was a no-brainer. The guy i bought it from was strapped for cash, guess he dropped 1400 on a 562xp:confused: The 488 runs awesome. I'd prefer a Stihl for sure, but for the price, I won't be complaining.

/ Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #6  
The guy i bought it from was strapped for cash, guess he dropped 1400 on a 562xp

562xp at most dealers is $750. I paid $680 for mine with a $80 upgraded bar.

As for light saws, yes they are the way to go! The 346xp is by far the best saw I've ever owned or run. Been running one since first of 2001 semi commercially. Have 3 now and use a 562xp for the larger stuff. I just can't run Stihl saws anymore after running these lighter, smaller, faster Husqvarnas. :D

/ Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #7  
562xp at most dealers is $750. I paid $680 for mine with a $80 upgraded bar.

As for light saws, yes they are the way to go! The 346xp is by far the best saw I've ever owned or run. Been running one since first of 2001 semi commercially. Have 3 now and use a 562xp for the larger stuff. I just can't run Stihl saws anymore after running these lighter, smaller, faster Husqvarnas. :D

That's what I thought about the price. He had it set up west coast style, 28" bar, full wrap, big clutch cover and big dogs, and the bar was a light weight one. Still seemed WAY out of line. Worst part was when I said that 60cc saws are a nice size, and he said the 562 was way bigger than that. Sorry, man. You just got hosed on a saw you don't even know anything about.

/ Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #8  
That's what I thought about the price. He had it set up west coast style, 28" bar, full wrap, big clutch cover and big dogs, and the bar was a light weight one. Still seemed WAY out of line. Worst part was when I said that 60cc saws are a nice size, and he said the 562 was way bigger than that. Sorry, man. You just got hosed on a saw you don't even know anything about.
Yes Sir, they saw him coming. Not enough extras to add up. Plus a 28" is a bit much for 60cc, it'll pull it, just not that well.

/ Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #9  
The smallest Husqvarna pro grade saw does everything I need a saw for.

Here too, got an XP550 and spinning up to 14K on something weighing around 11 pounds all day is great, I also spend more time cutting wood smaller than 18" than I do 24", so it was a no brainer for me...

There will always be a place for a 70cc, but I have another job...

/ Saw size: How to easily lighten saw by 1/2 lb. #10  
I sell fire wood and only use 2 saws. I have a Husqvarna 570XP with 24" and 28" bars for the real big stuff. It is a heavy saw. I bought a Husqvarna 450 with 20" bar for the small stuff but I find I use it for about everything as it is lighter. I guess if I could only have one saw it would be a 60cc pro saw with a 20" and 24" bars.