Selling Chainsaws

/ Selling Chainsaws #1  

Giles

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota B2320---Wheelhorse lawn mower--- Case 480D Backhoe
I have 16 chainsaws in my collection, I need to sell some of them to make more room.
I have had many calls and a few lookers and have sold one in two months.
All are good and most rebuilt and are priced 1/2 or less their new price.
Thinking about selling on eBay but never thought I would have to.
Anyone else having trouble?

/ Selling Chainsaws #2  
Maybe everyone else has had the same problems I encountered. For 3 years I bought used chainsaws at garage sales and the auction. The garage sale ones all started and run good. Auction, you are buying a pig in the poke. Well are are in the scrap pile and I have 3 new ones. I spent more fixing the old ones in 3 years than the new ones cost. No more used for me at any price.

Ron

/ Selling Chainsaws #3  
A lot depends on what you have. And how "in demand" they are.

A less popular brand like my favorite, dolmar is tough sell. You said they are priced half of new. Well that's only part of the story. Half of new price for a 20 year old saw and I wouldn't even give it an second look. And since you said most are rebuilt, I am guessing they are older. And if you were selling 4 or 5 year old saws that look good for 1/2 of new, I don't think you would have a problem moving them.

So...big question. What do you have to sell? And how much are you asking for them?

/ Selling Chainsaws #4  
My wife is a collector of cast iron cookware.
Recently, the hipsters have been bidding up cast iron pots to ridiculous prices.
They make drums out of them.
This, my friend, is the secret to making money selling your collectible saws.
You just have to wait for them to become the "must have" thing.
Maybe the steam punk crowd would appreciate some of your vintage saw designs?
Are these show saws or daily drivers?

/ Selling Chainsaws #5  
I didnt see him say anything about vintage, or collectible. Kinda hard to give advise or comment without knowing what hes got.

For all we know, they are a bunch of 10 year old homelite and poulan box store saws??

/ Selling Chainsaws
Chainsaws Foe Sale 015.JPGChainsaws Foe Sale 017.JPGChainsaws Foe Sale 020.JPGChainsaws Foe Sale 026.JPGI do not own any "antique saws". All my saws have been tested with at least three tanks of gas. All have been Muffler Modded with carb restrictors removed.
Here is just a few---
Two Makitas are the same. One priced at $175.00 the other $225.
Dolmar PS34 priced at $135.00
Echo CS510 priced at $200.00
Echo 330 priced at $175.00
The two Concrete Saws are priced at $450.00 for either.
My prices are for what I have in them plus $15-$20.00 for labor.
After over 50 years, I think I need to get out of the hobby!!
I have sold hundreds of saws but have trouble selling them in today's economy Chainsaws Foe Sale 032.JPG
Just yesterday, and older gentleman cam to look at my saws and was interested in my Stihl 192t for $250 and Echo 330t for $175.
He told me that he could buy a new Stihl 170 for $272.00? and he left.

/ Selling Chainsaws
Here is the Stihl 192t bought to keep for $250 and then got a Stihl 200t. Asking $250 for the 192t
Chainsaws Foe Sale 028.JPGChainsaws Foe Sale 031.JPGChainsaws Foe Sale 029.JPGChainsaws Foe Sale 030.JPG

/ Selling Chainsaws #8  
Prices arent terrible. Perhaps just a tad high from what I have seen.

But as I suspected, you are dealing with lesser known models. Those are a tough sell locally. If it isnt a popular stihl model or husky model, that really limits your seller crowd. And I also suspect the fact that you have rebuilt them, and or muffler modded them is a turn off to quite a few as well.

I think ebay is your best bet. I dont think you will get them prices though. The Makitas look like 540's? if so, I buy them from time to time off ebay in dolmar orange. Either the 115i or PS540. I dont think I have ever paid more than $150 delivered for one of them. And usually push a 116si and 120si up to $200. Sure, some go for more than that. But many dont as you can see in my sig, I have gotten quite a few for $200 or less.

The PS34 is high. You can by those brand new for $200.

I cannot comment on the echos. And used concrete saws are a VERY tough sell. Most weekend warriors just rent them as they are cheaper. And guys in the business want newer equipment. Which dont leave much room for used and/or pieced together concrete saws.

/ Selling Chainsaws
Prices arent terrible. Perhaps just a tad high from what I have seen.

But as I suspected, you are dealing with lesser known models. Those are a tough sell locally. If it isnt a popular stihl model or husky model, that really limits your seller crowd. And I also suspect the fact that you have rebuilt them, and or muffler modded them is a turn off to quite a few as well.

I think ebay is your best bet. I dont think you will get them prices though. The Makitas look like 540's? if so, I buy them from time to time off ebay in dolmar orange. Either the 115i or PS540. I dont think I have ever paid more than $150 delivered for one of them. And usually push a 116si and 120si up to $200. Sure, some go for more than that. But many dont as you can see in my sig, I have gotten quite a few for $200 or less.

The PS34 is high. You can by those brand new for $200.

I cannot comment on the echos. And used concrete saws are a VERY tough sell. Most weekend warriors just rent them as they are cheaper. And guys in the business want newer equipment. Which dont leave much room for used and/or pieced together concrete saws.

Thanks for your post,
Well, I am glad that I am not forced to sell, I guess I will not buy any more and just be glad that I have a selection when I need one LOL.
I do not have any Homelite, Craftsman, Poulan or any China made saws, only deal with the saw brands listed.

/ Selling Chainsaws #10  
And good saws no doubt. I love my dolmars. But I also understand that unless it has a stihl or husky badge, resell sucks. But that's part of why I like em, cause for a used saw, dollars go further with dolmar, makita, echo, etc. Just sucks when it comes time to sell.

You would have no trouble getting 225-250 for a sthil 029 of the same vintage as those makitas. And they aren't nearly as good of a saw. Less power and heavier.