What About Bars?

/ What About Bars? #1  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
Tons of info on Chains not so much on bars and after 55 cords of Oak last year, I need a couple new 20" bars for my Stihl 039 and 44 mag. Are the Stihl bars the best? there a dozen brands on e-bay but I have no idea what quality they are. Forester, Sandvik etc. What about those Stainless Steel bars? Any input from you pro's ?

/ What About Bars? #2  
I'm only familiar with Oregon & Husky. No problems. If you're cutting 55 cords a year, by several different kinds and you tell us! Good luck.

/ What About Bars? #3  
IME, the price difference between a Stihl bar and a good aftermarket isn't enough to worry about, I'll go with Stihl bars anyday. By the time shipping costs are added in, it's a wash.

The cheap aftermarket bars are just that, cheap. Had a couple of Bailey's "Arborpro" bars, the sprocket tips didn't hold up well and the grooves wore rapidly.

Ed

/ What About Bars?
Thanks Ed, That's the info I was looking for..

/ What About Bars? #5  
For a Stihl saw, I'd just stay with Stihl bars.

I like Total, Cannon, Sugi Hara , Husky TechLite & Oregon ProLite...

/ What About Bars? #6  
Stick to OEM Stihl bars. Flip bar every second chain sharpening to maintain bar grooves and tip wear. And best to have two bars to swap out one for another, if either gets any damage. After two bars wear out get new sprocket for next bar. Clean bar grooves with a bar groove tool and make sure bar remains flat and true. Loosen chain on bar at end of day's use to prevent pressure on bearings.
And don't forget to brush your teeth too.:laughing:

/ What About Bars? #7  
I would also feel comfortable with bars from the chain manufacturers like Oregon, Sanvik (Windsor) and, maybe Total, although I haven't used their stuff much.

/ What About Bars? #8  
I would also feel comfortable with bars from the chain manufacturers like Oregon, Sanvik (Windsor) and, maybe Total, although I haven't used their stuff much.
Oregon, Windsor & Total make very good bars! It's the made in china crap that should be avoided, Forester, ArborPro, etc...

/ What About Bars?
Stick to OEM Stihl bars. Flip bar every second chain sharpening to maintain bar grooves and tip wear. And best to have two bars to swap out one for another, if either gets any damage. After two bars wear out get new sprocket for next bar. Clean bar grooves with a bar groove tool and make sure bar remains flat and true. Loosen chain on bar at end of day's use to prevent pressure on bearings.
And don't forget to brush your teeth too.:laughing:

Never have released chain pressure at the end of the day to relieve bearings.. Anyone else do that? The teeth brushing has been proven to work though..
Thanks.

/ What About Bars? #10  
Never have released chain pressure at the end of the day to relieve bearings.. Anyone else do that? The teeth brushing has been proven to work though..
Thanks.
I never have, but then I don't run my chains tight enough to hurt the bearings?