Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me?

/ Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me? #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Labonville?

Just asking who makes the best quality, best price, etc. set of Chainsaw chaps for a n00b rancher like me?

I'm planning to buy a set this week.

I saw some at TSC this week, but I want good ones at a decent price.

Thanks in advance,
Be well,
David

/ Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me? #2  
I bought mine from Gemplars, but I wouldn't be afraid of a TSC product. It's been a few years since I bought mine, so I don't recall the price. I really have become more cautious as I get older, since I work alone a lot, I wear all the safety equipment, and have my cell handy. I got a scare a few weeks ago, I was cleaning up storm damage under a large pine tree, and a branch about 3 in in diameter hit my helmet. It had fallen out of the tree, and I never saw it coming. My helmet was pushed down hard on my head, rang my bell a bit, and left a scuff mark on the helmet. If I hadn't had that helmet on, I'd probably gotten hurt real bad. What really scares me about using the saw is the fear of tripping over something, and falling on the saw. I won't use a saw on a ladder, after a scare doing that. My neighbor tripped on a branch, jammed the saw into his knee, ended up with a couple operations. He almost bled to death before the emt's got there. Be safe!

/ Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me?
Irv,

Exactly my point as well. Not only do I work alone 99.9% of the time, I now live alone...

I have a Husky branded orange helmet with face protector and muffs built in I wear all the time.

I want full wrap around chaps for the same reasons you list.

David

/ Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me? #4  
Mine are Husqvarna and I suppose they are as good as any. NOW if I would just use them, they would work better than they do stuffed in the plastic that they came in. I bought them at Lowes and they also have the loggers safety helmet with screen face guard.

/ Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me? #5  
I bought full wrap Stihls. Perhaps twice a branch has sprung wrong and knocked a stopping chain next to my leg w/ no damage to the chaps. But last summer I just had a small piece to trim and DIDN'T wear the chaps. Plus I was only using my small 60CC saw. I got bit by the chain SLIGHTLY. About a 3 inch tear in my pants and 3 small short tears in my thigh where each slightly moving link kissed my skin.

They are also good for wading thru patches of blackberries and stuff with short thorns.

Last edited:
   / Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me? #6  
Labonville are a good brand and are highly regarded. But then again, how do you put a price on personal safety. That's not the thing you want to go cheap on.
I've got the Stihl brand, but would get the Labonville when it's time to replace them.

/ Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me? #7  
Any chaps are better than none.

I've tried a bunch of them, and I'll say that Labonville and Elvex are very good quality. My "go to" chaps are Labonville full-wrap (6-ply). Just make sure to follow the directions for measuring length.

/ Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me? #8  
The only ones I've witnessed doing their job was Stihl, they worked, that's as good a recommendation as I need,

/ Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me? #9  
I use Stihl chaps and so far of the two pairs I have bought, the first pair saved me from a BAD cut had I not been wearing them, the other has yet to be used to stop a chain.

/ Simple Question - Who makes best Chainsaw Chaps for non-professional like me? #10  
Mine are Husqvarna and I suppose they are as good as any. NOW if I would just use them, they would work better than they do stuffed in the plastic that they came in. I bought them at Lowes and they also have the loggers safety helmet with screen face guard.

i have a set of those as well. never hit them with the chainsaw but I was out whacking down bushes with a machette a while back and hit wrong and got a glancing blow that also glanced off my calf. it actually didn't even make a mark on the chaps.. no cutting.. though did smear some green plant goo on them. I think had I been in shorts the wife would be running me to the hospital.. and if in jeans.. i might be going to the walk in clinic...