best chainsaw?

/ best chainsaw? #11  
I have a Stihl 026 pro,love it.
I was talking to some guys that work in a log yard,they run saws daily year around. This one guy said a Stihl,Husqvarna etc... being ran on a daily basis last about a year. He told me that anyone who had a saw that lasted 10 years was not using it very much.He must be running a saw a lot.
Those were his words not mine.

/ best chainsaw? #12  
Caterpillar, D9R, 162" blade, very powerful and dependable. Will clear your path faster than a speeding baby crawling.

CowboyDoc, did you realize JD has a line of saws? We actually have two in our mix, along with 1 each of Shindaiwa and Stihl. I'm guessing the newer JD's are made in Italy. They've actually impressed me for the price so far. Our dealer doesn't carry them but can get me parts so thats a plus. Haven't needed anything other than new chains...Kyle

Attachments

• 351856-D8R.jpg
    351856-D8R.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 350
   / best chainsaw? #13  
The best is "The one I own"! I suspect most people buy the best (in their mind), and if it isn't the best, they manage somehow to get the best.

I don't mean to be a smart***, but there isn't much of a good answer other than there are many saws out there that if treated with respect and cared for, will be 'your best'. If mistreated, abused, etc, they all will fail your expectations.

I have the same Stihl that I bought in 1975, and it doesn't miss a beat anytime, anywhere. Knock on wood, but it has been the most impressive saw I have owned, or borrowed, or have worked around, bar none. I wouldn't knock another brand, because I think I could get the same performance out of another brand that I have gotten out of my Stihl. You treat them right, they will likely treat you right.

I had an occasion to use the Deere saw (post homelite and remington, I believe) they are selling now, and was very pleased with its performance and handling. If mine misses a beat, I will buy a new one, and don't know if I could convince myself to buy anything but another Stihl. I don't think it will have to last as long as the one I have now though. That would be another 28 years. Hmmm? I be 92 then. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ best chainsaw? #14  
My vote goes to Stihl. I have used mine for 4 years and it has yet to let me down. Always starts easy too....

Hey Dave where did you get the neat looking blue New Holland work gloves? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ best chainsaw? #15  
Bought a Stihl in 1979 and still using it, and also bought a new small one about 5 years ago, because it is a lot lighter, but of course smaller in what it will do.. But they are just as trouble free as one could ever get. I use them every year, I think I did replace the plug in the one I bought in 79 once, but other than that nothing. Well, except replaced a few chains on them both of course. I knew if I didn't say that, someone would be asking me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ best chainsaw? #16  
We used to use McCullough Chainsaws. I still have one that hasn’t been run in years. They were pretty good saws, although they went from all metal to about half plastic. Are they still in business? Haven’t been in the market for chainsaws in years.

The point I wanted to make doesn’t concern brand but size.
If you will be trimming smaller limbs and cutting saplings get a small lightweight saw. It’s easier on your arms and back after hours of use.

For large trees and limbs get a large saw. The difference in power and cutting speed will be obvious when cutting the big stuff.
Keep the chain sharpened and don't let it hit the dirt while running.

It’s like buying a tractor, pick you favorite color, and just match the saw to the job. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ best chainsaw? #17  
That's mighty clean looking saw, hopefully it is fully broken in by now. As you can tell from the wear on my bars - the 372 is my favorite. These bars were all purchased at the same time, the 12 year old model 61 is on it's third bar, but starts easy & runs great. The 372 & 61 are definitely higher quality machines than the 350. (consumer vs pro & old vs new)

As far as Stihl, Husky or whichever I think the same rule that applies to tractors applies to quality saws that cost more than say $500: the equipment is competitive with each other, but the dealer service sets them apart. If my Husky dealer sold Stihls, I may have a bunch of them instead. Odd thing, like my tractor I don't seem to need to take my saws in for repairs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 351937-saws_s.jpg
    351937-saws_s.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 710
   / best chainsaw? #18  
be sure to go for the pro models for longevity. We sell both Stilhl and Husky and I do operate them from time and have run most all models. Husky has some good running high rpm saws that are nice. Stihl's have been running longer and have some nice features like the bigger nuts on the bar, the inboard clutch, big easy to handle caps for fuel and oil and a air cleaner that is easy to inspect.

/ best chainsaw? #19  
The endless Stihl Vs Husky debate /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I have always used Stihl. When I was a kid I had a buddy and we got started cutting firewood for extra income. A local Stihl dealer got Stihl to get us Pro saws for next to nothing on a special program. I've been a Stihl fan ever since. They also support many out doors programs and I Like that. Overall It seems the Husky Vs Stihl issue is a regional thing. In my neck of the woods no one besides the chain stores like Lowes etc carrys Husqvarna and they dont usually have the XP models. On the other hand just about every little hard ware store up in timbuctoo by camp has Stihl parts. I use a 026 pro. Its light, powerfull and reliable. I think its my favorite saw ever. Dave