Stihl 2 in 1 Filing Guide

/ Stihl 2 in 1 Filing Guide #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I recently picked up a Stihl 2 in 1 filing guide. It has a round and flat file built in. It sharpens the cutter while taking the raker down to the proper depth all in one motion. Tried it out sharpening a 20" chain on my MS361, seems to work really well. I've always hand sharpened my chain with a round file and flat file separate for the rakers.

See picture of file below;

image.jpg

/ Stihl 2 in 1 Filing Guide #2  
Pass JMO. Now your stuck buying their replacement files fitted to it only.

Takes less then a couple mins to do rakers if and when needed.

/ Stihl 2 in 1 Filing Guide
Pass JMO. Now your stuck buying their replacement files fitted to it only.

Takes less then a couple mins to do rakers if and when needed.

Not true, I've always used Stihl standard 7/32 round files for 3/8 chain anyway, standard Stihl files are what it takes, nothing special about them. Sure, you can do the rakers by hand separately, not a big deal, but the all in one sure is nice.

/ Stihl 2 in 1 Filing Guide #4  
Here is what I have read. Not used because I wont buy. But sounds like I cant use my other files in it to me.

(((((Note you can not use any round file in them ,Stihl have made the round file slightly different so you have to buy theirs. ))))

If that is true that is what I am taking about.

Here is what I have read. Not used because I wont buy. But sounds like I cant use my other files in it to me.

(((((Note you can not use any round file in them ,Stihl have made the round file slightly different so you have to buy theirs. ))))

If that is true that is what I am taking about.

Just checked, it has 13/64" files in it, I've been using 7/32 for years on 3/8" chain. Depending on what you read it's varied by user in file diameter. Apparently Stihl recommends 13/64 for 3/8 chain. 7/32 will not fit into this file guide, just tried it. However, the 13/64 file appears to be a standard Stihl file, nothing special about it. I buy Stihl files anyway, they're cheap enough and it's not like I'm going through cases of them.

/ Stihl 2 in 1 Filing Guide #6  
I use 7/32 for my stihl 3/8 and all my others in 3/8. So that right there means a big fat nope.

Thanks for checking to see what was different though.

/ Stihl 2 in 1 Filing Guide #7  
Pfred ChainSharp Filing Guide $20 to $25

Pferd+ChainSharp+Filing+Guide+(7+32+)_S.jpg

copied pasted
The Pferd Chain Sharp allows you to sharpen your chain cutter and maintain the height of your depth gauge in one operation, without removing the chain from the bar. Built-in angles and guides ensure proper filing technique for easy, professional results regardless of experience level. The tool uses standard round files and a special depth gauge file. After the left teeth are sharpened, the files may be reversed to sharpen the right teeth. For this reason, avid filers may want to purchase two units. The height of the raker is maintained in proportion to tooth wear. Comes complete with one 3/16" round file and one depth gauge file, packaged in a plastic case, with full instructions. The 3/16" model works on all .325 pitch chains and you can even put a 7/32" file in to do .375 and .404 pitch chain. Works on full comp chain only.

Comes complete with one 7/32" round file and one depth gauge file, packaged in a plastic case, with full instructions. The 7/32" model works on all .375 and .404 pitch chains and you can even put a 3/16" file in to do .325 pitch chain.

/ Stihl 2 in 1 Filing Guide #8  
I recently picked up a Stihl 2 in 1 filing guide. It has a round and flat file built in. It sharpens the cutter while taking the raker down to the proper depth all in one motion. Tried it out sharpening a 20" chain on my MS361, seems to work really well. I've always hand sharpened my chain with a round file and flat file separate for the rakers.

See picture of file below;

View attachment 382844

Thanks for the photo. It looks like a good solution.

/ Stihl 2 in 1 Filing Guide #9  
I use 7/32 for my stihl 3/8 and all my others in 3/8. So that right there means a big fat nope.

Thanks for checking to see what was different though.

I use 7/32 for my 3/8 pitch chain too, but only for about half of my chain's life. Then I switch to 13/64. Give it a try, works well for me.

I like it so far, something different