bar/chain oil vs used engine oil?

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #1  

Soggy Bottom Outdoors

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 john deere 5075E and others
Anyone use used engine oil in place of bar/chain oil? Even in a pinch?

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #2  
Bar oil has stickifier added to it. Regular oil flings off easier. Used engine oil has wear particles that could cause more wear on your chain that virgin oil. Some say used oil is more carcinogenic than new oil.

Personally I have never used used oil on my saw chain. I keep bar oil on the shelf and I do not heat with wood so anything I cut can wait. OK, I have not had a tree fall on my property where I had to cut right now.

Here is a discussion on another group. You may have to wait 10 seconds for an advertisement to go away but you can see what others have thought. Chain saw bar oil homebrew - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #3  
I used to get my bar oil in drums and used bar oil exclusively. In the long run using clean bar oil is best for longevity of the chain, bar, and OILER. Once in a while I would add some clean left over hydraulic oil or motor oil. Using contaminated crappy used motor oil is really not the best idea and you might screw up your oiler. I think you might consider saving a couple bucks on another venue than running crap oil in your chain saw.

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #4  
used engine oil may contain some gas ... which can swell the seals in some oilers and stop them from working ....

yes it works in a pinch , but regular bar oil isn't that expensive really .

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #5  
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO freaking idiots trying to save a buck end up paying for new oilers and labor cost down the road. Did a few for folks at my place. Nasty as all get out inside their saws tank to oiler etc.

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #6  
I usually use fresh 30wt or 40wt motor oil. You have to fill the oiler more often, but I've never had the oil holes clog up on the bar that way either. And I've never had a bar or chain overheat or wear out due to friction from using fresh motor oil. Best way to check to see if you're getting oil is just run it up to speed and oint the blade at a flat surface and see if you're flinging oil at it. If so, you're good to go.

I can see where using used motor oil might screw up the bar & chain or clog the holes if it has a lot of metal particles in it; but filtration should clear those out. What WILL kill your bar or chain is dirt, sand and other kinds of grit, or God help you, hitting nails/spikes in the tree, or contacting a stone under a dropped log.

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #7  
I usually use fresh 30wt or 40wt motor oil. You have to fill the oiler more often, but I've never had the oil holes clog up on the bar that way either. And I've never had a bar or chain overheat or wear out due to friction from using fresh motor oil. Best way to check to see if you're getting oil is just run it up to speed and oint the blade at a flat surface and see if you're flinging oil at it. If so, you're good to go.

I can see where using used motor oil might screw up the bar & chain or clog the holes if it has a lot of metal particles in it; but filtration should clear those out. What WILL kill your bar or chain is dirt, sand and other kinds of grit, or God help you, hitting nails/spikes in the tree, or contacting a stone under a dropped log.

I use old motor oil, it isn't that dirty, compared to what a chainsaw environment is normally. It isn't as thick? I seldom am cutting long enough to go thru a whole tank of gas before stopping to move some log or just rest my back, so I check the oil level frequently.

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #8  
New motor oil wouldn't bother me as bar oil, though the real stuff is tackier and would stick better. But used motor oil has accumulated some nasty stuff in it, and is not something I'd want to be spraying around myself or the environment.

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #9  
my saw cost too much to save a few cents on real bar oil....

/ bar/chain oil vs used engine oil? #10  
my saw cost too much to save a few cents on real bar oil....

Amen.

I wholeheartedly agree. You do not want anything to mess up your oiler in your saw. A gallon of bar oil is like $8 or so and you can go a long ways on that much oil. A gallon of used motor oil is free, but consider how much additional wear and tear on your bar and chain it will create plus you risk messing up your oiler pump. Not only that but you risk voiding your warranty if you have one. Just not worth it IMO.