Stihl MS261 Pricing

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing #1  

Johnkn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX3310
Hi, I'm considering a new MS261 purchase. I see that Stihl closely controls pricing and sales. Going to my local dealer, if I purchased a new MS261, hard case, chaps, helmet, gloves, and bar oil, what discount of DSRP might I expect? Thank you

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing #2  
Hi, I'm considering a new MS261 purchase. I see that Stihl closely controls pricing and sales. Going to my local dealer, if I purchased a new MS261, hard case, chaps, helmet, gloves, and bar oil, what discount of DSRP might I expect? Thank you

When I bought mine I went to a number of dealers and asked each. A smaller dealer was willing to negotiate. I don't recall the exact discount but want to say it was about 10%. A lot of them will not negotiate, but since I knew exactly what I wanted, the one guy worked with me. After that I went back to him and bought a Stihl combo unit which he worked with me on the price as well.

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing #3  

On My MS660 I was able to get a Free upgrade paid for the 20" or 25" bar and got the 36" I got a bit of a discount on a second loop of Full chisel skip chain RSF
On my MS361 i was able to negotiate for a free case that was a bit of a hard sell. But i said so if i buy this farm boss for half the cost i get a case but not on the pro saw he finally caved. I know Lumberjacks have a severe hatred of cases but i haul my saw around with loose wood either in the bucket, carry all, or pickup truck. Unlike lumber jacks i don't throw it in the back of an empty truck, and let a tractor trailer haul off the wood. MS660 has no case offered so i couldn't negotiate for it on that saw

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing
Thanks guys, that helps...

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing #5  
Thanks guys, that helps...

Stihl makes a good product and due to that they maintain a good price, but that does not mean they won't negotiate. Each dealer has control of the sale price once they buy the equipment. Maybe look for dealers that might be "off the beaten path". In my case it was a dealer in the big city that typically sold a lot of trimmers. But he was very knowledgeable on saws.

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing #6  
Stihl makes a good product and due to that they maintain a good price, but that does not mean they won't negotiate. Each dealer has control of the sale price once they buy the equipment. Maybe look for dealers that might be "off the beaten path". In my case it was a dealer in the big city that typically sold a lot of trimmers. But he was very knowledgeable on saws.
And as long as they don't advertise pricing below the manufacturer's terms.

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing #7  
And as long as they don't advertise pricing below the manufacturer's terms.

I contacted StihlUSA on that subject and here is their response:

=========
Dealers are privately owned, and they have total control on how pricing is set. STIHL Inc. sells equipment and parts to only 12 companies in the U.S., those being our branches and distributors. They in turn sell to the dealers in the territories they service. Once the dealer purchases the equipment or parts, they own them, and can price them at whatever they feel is feasible. The branches and distributors provide an MSRP list to the dealers, which is different for each territory. However, as the dealers are privately owned, they can choose to follow the MSRP list or price the items at their discretion.
==========

So it seems to me that the dealers can do as they seem fit to sell Stihl equipment. Soooooo..... Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate if you are in the market for a new tool Stihl makes. I am a fan of Stihl, but realize they need to stay connected to the new world pricing. I think they will.

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing
Looks like the DSRP for the 20" saw is like $640, plus ~$220 for the chaps, helmet, and gloves, plus bar oil, hard case, perhaps an extra chain, etc.. so total before tax should be in the $900+ range. I'll see what they'll do, and if they won't negociate or negociate much, I'll see if they'll throw in the chaps (~$95) at no cost if I buy at list. That would equal effectively about a -10% deal for me, but save them some $ as the chaps don't cost them $95. Thin line out there, we all want a good deal, but we also want our local dealers to remain open and profitable so we can jump in the car and drive down to get a part or tool or service when we need it. Oh, I'm 59 years old, guess I'm getting a little smarter in my old age, should have had the chaps, and helmet/visor/hearing protection 30 years ago. Now I would never want to ...wish... I had spent $200 on protective gear when laid up with a chain saw injury. LOL

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing #9  
I contacted StihlUSA on that subject and here is their response:

=========
Dealers are privately owned, and they have total control on how pricing is set. STIHL Inc. sells equipment and parts to only 12 companies in the U.S., those being our branches and distributors. They in turn sell to the dealers in the territories they service. Once the dealer purchases the equipment or parts, they own them, and can price them at whatever they feel is feasible. The branches and distributors provide an MSRP list to the dealers, which is different for each territory. However, as the dealers are privately owned, they can choose to follow the MSRP list or price the items at their discretion.
==========

So it seems to me that the dealers can do as they seem fit to sell Stihl equipment. Soooooo..... Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate if you are in the market for a new tool Stihl makes. I am a fan of Stihl, but realize they need to stay connected to the new world pricing. I think they will.
Sounds right and makes sense. I just know some manufacturers can have a problem with the advertised price if it falls below some threshold. You will see some internet retailers get around that by not divulging the price until you 'add to your cart'.

/ Stihl MS261 Pricing #10  
I saw the 261 for $525 on the NYS woods men's show - that is usually the cheapest price available.

Will

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet