Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP?

/ Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Looking for a new firewood saw in the 50cc class. I've owned both Husky and Stihl's over the years so I'm not exclusive to either one. I'm leaning towards the 550XP as it's slightly lighter. Probably will run a 16" bar for general use with a 20" for the occasional flushing of stumps.

Not planning to start a brand war, but folks seem to say that Stihl has fallen behind with some of the latest pro-model saws and Husky is the way to go.

Anyone have experience with both models?

/ Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP? #2  
Looking for a new firewood saw in the 50cc class. I've owned both Husky and Stihl's over the years so I'm not exclusive to either one. I'm leaning towards the 550XP as it's slightly lighter. Probably will run a 16" bar for general use with a 20" for the occasional flushing of stumps.

Not planning to start a brand war, but folks seem to say that Stihl has fallen behind with some of the latest pro-model saws and Husky is the way to go.

Anyone have experience with both models?

Have you looked at Echo ?
The CS-500P is a 50cc with pretty good reviews.

I got an Echo CS-400 it's been a really good reliable saw.

Never owned a Husqvarna chain saw, always had Stihl before getting the Echo.

/ Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP? #3  
I have used both, I am a Stihl guy at heart but the Husky is as good as the Stihl in this instance IMO.. I fix saws on the side so I get to run all kinds now and then. Which ever one you decide on will be a good choice.

Last edited:
   / Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP? #4  
I have an MS-261 CM and absolutely love it. But I agree with the others here. The Husqvarna is also awesome. I'd handle both and see which you think looks better in your hand.

/ Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP? #5  
Can't go wrong either way. I own a 261, but I'd probably give a slight edge to the Husky. Also look at the Husky 562XP. Not much heavier but a whole lot more saw.

/ Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP? #6  
I have a 261CM and I love it. It is very easy to crank.

/ Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP?
I pulled the trigger on a Husky 550XP with a 16" bar and a 20" bar. $525 for the saw with a 16" bar/chain and $65 for the 20" bar/chain. Pretty good pricing!

Back in my college days, I used to be a certified arborist and spent a bunch of time swinging around in trees and doing logging work to pay my college bills. Back then, Mid-80's, we used Husky 266XP's for all our ground work. A 60cc saw is overkill for what I need but I still prefer the pro saws, I'll just use be using the 550XP to cut about 4-6 cords a year of oak firewood and for land improvement if we buy some retirement property in the coming years.

Looking at saws available today, what's really nice are the top handle "in-tree" saws. These weren't available in the 80's due to litigation concerns. I used to use a Stihl 010 or 011 for my in-tree saws back then. I must of had Popeye forearms back then or something, I can't imagine one handing an 010 or 011 in a tree today. I still have an 011 that I've beat to death through the years. It still runs great, but it's starting to show some age. I spent $150 on it last year to fix an oiling problem (the saw's not worth that, but it still ran great and I've had some sentimental attachment to it).

Between the new 550 and the old 011, I should be set for a while.

/ Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP? #8  
I have a husky 562XP and the predecessor to the 550XP (346XP) and both are very nice saws and great firewood saws. I hear good things about the 261 but never ran one. I had a 260 but sold it cause I liked the the 346 so much more. I dunno you probably can't go wrong with either but I'd take the 550.

/ Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP? #9  
You made a good choice! Both the 261 & 550 are very good saws! The 550 is a bit lighter, smaller & faster.

/ Stihl MS-261CM or Husky 550XP?
I've been able to use the 550 a little bit around my place and so far I really like it. I'm having a little bit of an issue with a warm start, but I just need to get the sequence figured out. I followed the manual, but that doesn't seem to do it for a warm start. I've only run 1.5 tanks, so I think it's still tuning.

I'm heading to camp for the weekend, so I'll be doing a bunch of cutting for camp and bringing a load back home. I'm looking forward to getting some run time with it.

The weight versus power is great! Probably the best 50cc saw going.