Found a great chainsaw sharpener

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I've spent a bunch of time sharpening my chainsaws over the years. Back when I was a certified arborist going through college, it used to be a breeze to whip out a round file and touch up a saw freehand during gas-ups or breaks. I'm real particular on having a sharp saw and as I've gotten older, I don't use a chainsaw frequently enough to stay proficient with a file and get the edge and symmetry I prefer. So I went on a quest for a better alternative.

I ruled out the bench sharpening models, because I want to be able to touch a saw up in the field and I couldn't justify spending $200+ for an Oregon bench model and figured the cheaper knock-offs are probably junk. I looked at some of the various jigs and file fixtures and couldn't see where I'd get much improvement over my free-hand method or they looked like a convoluted contraption that would just lead to frustration.

One sharpener that kept popping up in my research was the Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener. So on a whim and crossed fingers, I splurged and bought one the other week. I had a chance to use it over the weekend and man am I impressed!:cool2: Rarely do you find a tool that actually works as simply and as well as this one does. At about $140 it's not cheap, but it gives you the portability to sharpen in the field with precision that would be unmatched with a hand file. And because it actually machines the tooth with a carbide cutter, you don't risk overheating teeth like can happen with the abrasive wheel grinders.

Look at some of the reviews on-line and you'll get some great feedback and info on how this sharpener works. I would recommend you start with a new chain, I don't think you'd want to waste your time trying to true up an old chain. Also, take your time to "bed" or "seat" the chain/cutter the first time you use it on a new chain. After the first "seating", using the sharpener is a breeze for all the subsequent sharpening's. Replacement carbide cutters are a little pricey at around $25, but they're supposed to last for 40+ sharpening's. I think you'd probably go through at least 3- 5 round files with that same number of sharpening's (I like a sharp file), so the replacement cutter price isn't too out of line. I haven't had to use it on a damaged chain (hitting metal nails or rocks). In that instance, you might still need to "dress" the damage with a round file, to save some wear and tear on the carbide cutter. Like I said, I haven't had to find out yet, but the carbide cutter could certainly repair a damaged tooth.

I thought I'd let some others know about a great product that actually works as simply as it's touted and gives results beyond expectations.

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #2  
Looks like a great product.

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #3  
I put one of those on my Christmas list last year but they couldn't find one so they replace my old Dremel which had died. That's OK by me as I can do a very good job sharpening my chain saw with the Dremel and the proper sized grinding stones.

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #4  
I see them for $99.00 at logging/sawmill shows... I've used one, after a small learning curve, it worked pretty good...

SR

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #5  
I thought I'd let some others know about a great product that actually works as simply as it's touted and gives results beyond expectations.

I bought one last year and agree with you the sharpener is a great product.

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #6  
They are great, fast and accurate. I highly reccomend the Timberline sharpener.

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #7  
I love mine as well.

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #8  
A co-worker just bought his first saw and I'm encouraging him to get this for sharpening. Partly so i can borrow it.

If I didn't have two grinders and two file kits I'd buy it.

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #9  
Looks like a great tool. I've used an Oregon bar mounted file system for years. It sets the angle, depth, and even levels the rakers. Works good, but maybe not quite as slick as this system.

/ Found a great chainsaw sharpener #10  
That thing looks pretty slick. I'll probably pick one of those up.