a sharp chain!

/ a sharp chain! #11  
Clearly, it's not as easy as one may think. A friend gave me one of those cheapie immitations of the pro units by Oregon. At first, I had good results, but that seemed to change. I took my chains back to a pro, and he told me all the things to check, as in the above post. I don't "dress" my blade or have a profile gauge for the blade. Plus, I have two sizes of chain. It all seems so complicated, but I do so value an awesome, well sharpened chain. So I just take them in.

/ a sharp chain! #12  
I have an Oregon 511 sharpener. Very repeatable, very good quality edge.

/ a sharp chain! #13  
I encourage using a j-shaped stroke that's held away from the tooth going down and slightly wiggling the wheel head for say 3 quick but gentle swipes against each tooth face. Hold the wheel to the away side of play when bringing it back up.

TOG, great stuff. Could you clarify the above statement? When I read it, I envision avoiding wheel contact while going down and coming up, and only contacting the tooth by easing the wheel sideways (using the flex in the grinder arm) into the face of the tooth. Is that correct?

Thanks,

David

/ a sharp chain! #14  
dgeesaman (David :)), absolutely! and I like the way you worded it. :thumbsup: ("J" in and return on the same path)

Even on the finest tool grinding equipment there's a feel that you acquire as to wheel speed across the ground surface, etc. That inevitable 'flex in the grinder arm' can work for or against you. Minimal contact with the wheel (always at full depth in the gullet) keeps the tooth cool and preserves the 'rake' angle that is easily compromised if the wheel touches the least bit on the upstroke. :eek:

Even the best machines will wear eventually, so what works on the cheap sharpeners can also be applied to them as time goes by and a bit of 'slop' accumulates.

btw, what was said earlier in regard to o'heating teeth when sharpening is good general info. Low alloy steels (mild, 'carbon', bedrail, etc) will lose their temper when heated til they turn blue. (& when not work-hardened by heating :mur:) This is something to avoid for sure, but 'tool steel' alloys ('High Speed Steel' that drills are made of, etc) suffer much less 'softening' when heated just enuf to turn blue-ish. Most of us would never notice any difference if a bit of tinge shows up atop chainsaw teeth, so don't toss 'em till you try your 'grind' on the job. (Two 'light' circuits around trumps one heavy one if you need to remove a lot of stock to 'clean up')

Also, if lowering the depth gauges comes easily enough (min .040-.060" below tooth crown) my rule of thumb for discarding a chain is when the teeth tops are shorter than they are wide. And don't use a chainsaw to cut tree roots if a 'recip' saw can be used instead. Dulling by grit slows you down less, and blades are cheap compared to chains or the time & $$ to sharpen them.

Heh, I was all set to grub brush today, but now I feel like 'tipping over' a few unwelcome trees. (too many chores, to little time) tog (jon)

/ a sharp chain! #15  
I have an Oregon 511 sharpener also. Work just fine.

/ a sharp chain! #16  
I just sharpen mine with a file by hand and do it with the chain on the saw. I can sharpen the chain about as fast as swapping out chains.

Can you take a video of this?
My 16" bar has a chain Oregon S56, or G66 that uses 56 or 66 drive links respectively - on the S56 every other drive link has a cutting tooth - so that makes 27 strokes with a file, with time required to move the chain around the bar...
My saw used a single nut to hold on the outer cover, and I can pull that nut off and swap chains in under 1 minute.

If you can sharpen a 16" chain and sharpen it well in under a minute, you sir need to open a chain sharpening shop.

/ a sharp chain! #17  
When you're well-practiced sharpening by hand you can fix a problem out in the woods if you touch a rock. OREGON chains have a little line on the edge of the tooth showing "minimum tooth dimension". I eyeball this line to keep the angle consistent when hand-sharpening.

Sometimes I think my technique is lacking then I remember I haven't followed it down on the 'depth control'. I probably sharpen the chain 5 times before lowering the depth control. I use an angle grinder for that, just a touch with a .060 cutoff blade.

/ a sharp chain! #18  
Can you take a video of this?
My 16" bar has a chain Oregon S56, or G66 that uses 56 or 66 drive links respectively - on the S56 every other drive link has a cutting tooth - so that makes 27 strokes with a file, with time required to move the chain around the bar...
My saw used a single nut to hold on the outer cover, and I can pull that nut off and swap chains in under 1 minute.

If you can sharpen a 16" chain and sharpen it well in under a minute, you sir need to open a chain sharpening shop.

Mine has two nuts. You have to adjust the tension to get the new chain on and the bar always wants to fall off. With the file I can just stop where ever I'm at, pull the file out of my pocket and sharpen the saw right there and get back to work. I have an 18" bar and can get 3 or 4 links sharpened (just a couple strokes each), rotate the chain to get the next 3-4 until I've done one side. Then flip the saw around and do the other side. About every 3rd or 4th time I'll grind down the the depth gauges with a flat file.

/ a sharp chain! #19  
Honestly - I have never sharpened a chain - can you take a video and share your technique?
I need to learn, or it will cost me $$.

/ a sharp chain! #20  
Honestly - I have never sharpened a chain - can you take a video and share your technique?
I need to learn, or it will cost me $$.

There are tons of tutorial videos on youtube that are of better quality than anything I could produce.