a sharp chain!

/ a sharp chain! #21  
I generally field sharpen my chains with a file 3-4 times a day when cutting. I am amazed when I hear from someone that doesn't do that! Should be standard practice when using a chainsaw, and it can be a matter of 1-2-3 minutes tops.

Another important factor is choice of cutter type. A lot of people are in love with full-chisel chain because it cuts better, but it also dulls way faster, so it's only better cutting when it's freshly sharp. For that reason, I use semi-chisel most of the time. It reduces the need to file by about 2/3 when cutting wood that is on the ground or has been dragged or rolled on the ground. That is a lot more productive.

My general rule is that when the chips start to show some dust mixed in with the confetti, it's time to pull out the file and sharpen. Don't wait until you can feel the reduction in cutting performance. I also flip my bar after every day or 3-4 sharpenings, which is very important. Many people overlook that too! When flipping the bar, it's a good time to clean the sawdust and gunk out of the clutch cover. An old stiff paintbrush and/or toothbrush works well for that.

/ a sharp chain! #22  
Where does one get a semi chisel chain? I would like to try that, for it does seem that the good cutting life of a regular chain is very low and terminal if you touch the ground for even a split second.

This all raises more questions then answers. How long is a file good for? I find the files last worse then the chains. You can feel when the file is sharp and that seems like the first few swipes and then that's it! Are there different quality files? I am sure there are! No where have I seen the mark of poor quality tools more then with cuting tools! Files, drill bits, saw blades, and so forth.

/ a sharp chain! #23  
Files are tricky, but I have found Stihl brand files last a decent while. Remember to periodically turn them in your filing jig if you use one.

All the chain brands make semi-chisel -- just need to find the nomenclature they use to label it. On most of my Stihls, RS is full chisel and RM is semi-chisel. They come in most all of the pitches and gauges.

/ a sharp chain! #24  
How important is chain tension? I think I tend to go a bit tighter then others I know. There seems no good way to really judge this, other then by feel. Pulling on the chain to see how many teeth come out of the grove seems somewhat imprecise for something I imagine to be quite critical.

/ a sharp chain! #25  
I have a HF sharpener. It seams to work OK but I find that it will grind too much off the chain unless you're very careful. So the only time I use it is if I've hit a rock or did some real damage tot he chain and it needs major filing to get the profile back on the teeth. Otherwise I use a hand file or a Dremel with a sharpening stone.

/ a sharp chain! #26  
One nice thing about the better electric grinders is you get the exact same angle every time. Although I have to appreciate those that can hand file well.

/ a sharp chain! #27  
Setup does ***** machine, and the cheapos can do perfectly well with proper technique.

:2cents:: With the motor off/unplugged, adjust the wheel to the bottom of the gullet. Then adjust the 'stop finger' while turning the wheel by hand. You will feel a 'high spot' (inevitable, harmless wobble), that will account for .010-.020" stock removal once you power up. Tighten the finger adjustment and mark your start tooth. You'll always have to reset the stop when you switch to the other side of the chain.

Beware of side play of the wheel head, esp at the bottom of the stroke, due to hand pressure or wear in the head's pivot. If the wheel contacts the tooth on the upstroke it's easy to round it over, compromising relief angle at the cutting edge/corner. I encourage using a j-shaped stroke that's held away from the tooth going down and slightly wiggling the wheel head for say 3 quick but gentle swipes against each tooth face. Hold the wheel to the away side of play when bringing it back up. Be consistent with each stroke/tooth and with tension held against the stop when clamping for best results. If the side doesn't clean up, adjust the stop screw 1/8 - 1/4 turn and go around again. Don't rush it.

Using a cheapo dial caliper or similar, measuring tooth length is as good as measuring tooth height (for side to side consistency) and is faster/easier. Don't sweat one bad tooth here and there. As with saw blades, only having several bad teeth in a row will noticeably affect cut quality/efficiency. If the wheel 'fans' on a tooth when sharpening it won't be tall enough to cut anyway. Don't readjust for a single tooth. Let it go & hit it on the next sharpening or repeat pass around.

Two things often overlooked are fully cleaning up (grinding back) the shine on (from) top of the teeth right at the front corner of each, and not keeping the height gauges trimmed far enough below the teeth. I'm one to shave them pretty far down, but if going too far the saw can pull in or bog more easily. :eek: If neglected you remove less stock/tooth and cut less wood per sharpening. If ~half your chips look like sawdust, you probably should have changed to a sharp chain already, and you might have to 'peel' quite a bit to 'bring it up sharp' again. (trade lingo :cool:)

The HFT gadget I sharpen with for myself and several others is kind of whomped after the years, but I get good results and do lots of 'return engagements'. As always, it's not what you have, it's what you do with it. (My name says what I do. :laughing:) tog

I have the HF sharpener as well. I like your comment about the "J" stroke. That's pretty much what I do, too. Just kiss that tooth, don't grind it. I've used mine for about 4 years now. I have 5-6 chains in a zip lock bag with some oil in my saw case. I just change them out in the field if they get dull. When I get down to only one spare, I sharpen all of them in one sitting and put them back in the bag. Works great. Only thing I don't like about that sharpener is you sharpen towards the front of the blade on one side of the chain, but towards the back on the other side of the chain. I'd like to sharpen from the front towards the back on both sides and you can't do that with this sharpener.

/ a sharp chain! #28  
One nice thing about the better electric grinders is you get the exact same angle every time. Although I have to appreciate those that can hand file well.

There is a learning curve to doing it by hand. There where a few times where my angles would be off and the saw would try to twist or turn basically when I got into big logs.

As for files I think I've always used Oregon brand and they seem to last quite a while. Really when they're brand new they're probably taking off more than they need to.

s219 is right about flipping the bar over. I probably don't do that enough. Another thing I'll do to the bar is de-bur it when I have the chain off.

/ a sharp chain! #29  
I generally field sharpen my chains with a file 3-4 times a day when cutting. I am amazed when I hear from someone that doesn't do that! Should be standard practice when using a chainsaw, and it can be a matter of 1-2-3 minutes tops.

This is my first chainsaw - so i truly have no freaking clue what I am doing. Sharp spinning end goes into the tree - that is about the limit of my knowledge.
You can be amazed that I don't know how to field sharpen my chains, I have not attempted to sharpen one yet for fear of jacking it up so dang bad that the chain becomes unusable.

Why is flipping the bar important? Is it a wear issue?
I am currently working on a white oak about 24 feet long and 28 inches in diameter, I am starting to see the sawdust with the confetti - so I should pull that chain and set it aside, or since I pay to have them sharpened - just use it till it will not cut anymore?
I just bought a 2 pack of chains so I have spares.

/ a sharp chain! #30  
Get yourself a file guide.

Follow the instructions (designated angles and pitch) on the chain box. Be consistent. Sharpen often. Get a vise, a bench or someplace you can hold the saw steady for consistency. I always do the Michael Jackson thing with one glove so I can grab the chain and hold it tight and turn it. If you get it wrong, no problem. You'll know (no chips, just dust), so try again. Flip bar. People have a tendency to cut sideways (either because of applying pressure or uneven sharpening, etc, ?), a bar's "rail" will wear uneven on one side, causing more exaggerated sudeway cutting. Flipping bar helps this. Wear safety chaps.
Actually, don't put the spinning end into the tree.. When top side of the end of bar hits objects, this is when you get kick back. Not good.

Last edited: