Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw...

/ Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
I have a20" Stihl MS290 FarmBoss and I love it, but it gets heavy limbing...

I have dozens of huge beech, oak, and etc tree tops I need to process for firewood and burn pile now that the clear-cutting is done

I like Stihl.

I looked at a MS250 woodboss my logger suggested, but it seems kinda big, or bigger than I need, but I do not want a toy saw, I want a good & durable saw.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance & Be well,
David

/ Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #2  
Well, you could replace that boat anchor 290 with a MS261 and have a smaller lighter more powerful saw that is better for limbing, but won't give up any balls for regular cutting. Will be pricey, but hard to beat two saws in one. A Husky 550XP (or 346XP if you can find one) would be a good option too, and slightly more nimble than the Stihl 261.

There are no compelling Stihls I'd recommend in the mid range or homeowner range. To me, they are a way to burn $$ that are better put into a Stihl Pro saw, or a Husky pro saw, or a better grade saw from any other manufacturer.

If you want to keep the 290, a good smaller lighter saw is an Echo CS-400. That is smaller enough to broaden your quiver of saws compared to the 290. It is priced about the same as a Stihl 250, but is better construction (the 250 is a homeowner saw with a 50 hour rating). And you can get the Echo at Home Depot, in addition to Echo dealers, so they are easy to find. They usually ship with an 18" bar, which is good for limbing (longer reach), but I prefer a 16" bar on that saw for any regular cutting. I have half a dozen saws now, but still like that little Echo for the right mix of size/weight/power/reliability. Echo has a couple other saws that are a little bigger and decent, but not as light and nimble as the little 400.

I almost forgot, I have a mildly used Stihl 261 that I keep meaning to sell -- if interested, give me a holler. I just don't use it much anymore with a Husky 562XP and Echo CS-400 in my lineup. The 261 is a great saw, but I simply bracketed it out of use with two other saws. Have a few extra bars/chains that go along with it. I'd only suggest the 261 if you want it to overlap or replace the 290. Otherwise go smaller for a two-saw strategy.

Whatever you do, stay away from anything sold at Lowes, or the cheaper homeowner saws from Home Depot, TSC, etc... Just a way to burn $$ in the short term.

Good luck!

/ Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #3  
I have an old, 14" Stihl 011 AV that is light and rips through tree top limbs.
Can't say what their current, equivalent, model is, but I'm sure one of TBN's tree guys can.

Last edited:
   / Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #4  
I too have the MS290 and went through a similar consideration as you a few years back. I needed something to handle the limbing as well as smaller quick jobs. I ended up going with the MS180. It is light and has handled all tasks given with great ease. This set up with the duo works great for my needs (4-6 cords a year).

/ Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #5  
I've been researching this same topic and keep coming back to the Echo 370 or 400. Everywhere I look people seem to really like the Echo saw for this application. I'm going to snag one and do the muffler mod and tune the carb which everyone recommends on these saws.

/ Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #6  
For limb work a battery powered reciprocating saw is superior to a chainsaw.

Attachments

• IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 107
   / Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #7  
LOL. Superior in what way?

Sawzall is not even remotely close to being a replacement for a limbing saw IMO. Would be nothing but a waste of time.

/ Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #8  
Respect other opinions.

/ Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #9  
For limbs under an inch it is hard to beat a good axe. A good axe is the secret. I have a tractor supply axe that couldn't cut a stick of butter in half. I have an axe that was my great grandpas that will cut a 1 inch limb in one swing.

/ Looking for a lightweight limbcutting saw... #10  
Limbing is a fairly wide category.

Since this is a chainsaw thread I have to say I have a Stihl 028 AV Super with a 24" bar. Have to own a decent size saw for credibility in discussing more sensible saws. :D

I have a razor sharp axe, it has its benefits in some situations, but I don't use it often.
=============

1/2" limb or 3"?
Cutting "at the trunk" or "away from the trunk"
Cutting 5 limbs or 300?

A battery powered recip saw could be the best choice of tool at the top of a ladder. I don't enjoy pulling starter ropes while on a ladder, or up in a tree. Squeezing a trigger has its benefits. If a chainsaw cuts a limb in 3 seconds vs 20 seconds with a recip, sometimes in the overal scheme of things; the "safer" unit is prudent use of "17 seconds". My Stihl mS201 (high performance pro unit $649) could easily take 17 seconds just to get it started.

I have 12" echo chainsaw that's 20 years old. Very very used, looks like it might be on it's last legs, but, always always always starts on 1st pull. I'm currently having doubts why I ever went away from Echo, except that Stihl is "cool".

Also have a weedeater-type polesaw, it's in new condition and I suspect it will remain in new condition for awhile because it's so strenuous to use. My tool of choice for limbing is 95% brushcutter type Echo PAS 266 with a 7 1/4" carbide skillsaw blade. It cuts with surgical precision, I like it.