Cutter top plate life

/ Cutter top plate life #1  

Jw5875

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
New education on sharpening chains for me, trying to keep chains up to par, found out that when the top plate reach 50% of length, time to replace the chain and don't waste your time trying to sharpen it, setting depth gauges etc.
At 50%, it does not have the side or top clearance specs no more.

JW 5875

/ Cutter top plate life #2  
Sounds like an educator wanting to sell you new chains.

/ Cutter top plate life #3  
Agree with Lurch. I use chains right down to the nubbins, to where most are marked or a bit more. At about half or a bit further along I do drop a file size, if I have one. Not sure that is even necessary. I will typically wear out three chains like that using them in rotation and then get three more with new cog rim.

prs

/ Cutter top plate life #4  
Wow somebody wanting to sell chain it looks like. IMO some of the best chain cutting is 50% and further. You just got to adjust your raker down as the tooth goes back. No problem.

I sharpen guys chains till I dont have a tooth left.

Race chain making starts when cutter back near the rear rivet too. ;)

/ Cutter top plate life #5  
New education on sharpening chains for me, trying to keep chains up to par, found out that when the top plate reach 50% of length, time to replace the chain and don't waste your time trying to sharpen it, setting depth gauges etc.

JW 5875

Don't forget to get the air changed in your tires every other year. Sorry, but either one would be about the same as to wasting $$$$$. Someone saw you coming and figured you had to much money and thought you should give him some. Ed

/ Cutter top plate life #6  

JW 5875

Saw chains used in racing are ground all the way down to the wear limit to increase clearance for chips. I assure you a chain is good to that point, provided it's been sharpened properly.

/ Cutter top plate life #7  
Don't they usually come marked with the tooth angle/last limit of use right on them? I think the raker interference is all you have to get down past.

/ Cutter top plate life #8  
I cut them down to they are almost gone. Take the rakers way down too.

/ Cutter top plate life #9  
Don't they usually come marked with the tooth angle/last limit of use right on them? I think the raker interference is all you have to get down past.

Angle yes, last limit, nope. I used to log and trust me I have spent time with saws but this is a new one to me. Ed

/ Cutter top plate life #10  
This is funny, at 50% they are just getting better. :D