Echo 18" CS420 - Chain keeps popping off and getting burred up...

/ Echo 18" CS420 - Chain keeps popping off and getting burred up... #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
I'm trying to do what I bought this saw for, limbing the downs trees the loggers left behind and cutting firewood.

I bought 2 Oregon 18" chains along with the saw when I bought it, and so far they've both popped off more than once, typically when cutting something small even, and they get awful burred up in the process.

My assumption is I must be doing something wrong. But I'm running it tighter than I typically run my Stihl's because I thought maybe that was the problem that I was too loose.

I've got a LOT of cutting to do and I cant afford to keep messing up chains...

Thanks in advance & Be well,
David

/ Echo 18" CS420 - Chain keeps popping off and getting burred up... #2  
Did they sell you the right chain? Specs call for .325 pitch X .058 gauge .

/ Echo 18" CS420 - Chain keeps popping off and getting burred up... #3  
Inspect the bar to make sure a groove wasn't cut into it after the first time the chain came off. Also, could there be debris between the bar and the housing causing the bar to be misaligned?

Check the chain to see if the guides are damaged.

/ Echo 18" CS420 - Chain keeps popping off and getting burred up...
Inspect the bar to make sure a groove wasn't cut into it after the first time the chain came off. Also, could there be debris between the bar and the housing causing the bar to be misaligned?

Check the chain to see if the guides are damaged.

Bar is not grooved, yes it really messes up the guides.

David

Did they sell you the right chain? Specs call for .325 pitch X .058 gauge .

This smells like winner winner chicken dinner...

Look at this pic, I believe the chains are different size, how can I tell the size? What do I do if it is wrong, go buy a different bar for that size chain?

I hate being a n00b...

David

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_103930443_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151114_103930443_HDR.jpg
    892.6 KB · Views: 288
   / Echo 18" CS420 - Chain keeps popping off and getting burred up... #6  
once the chains get loose and jump, the guides on the underside of the chain usually get bent and are more prone to not go into the groove after going around the crankshaft gear teeth.

Funny things those chainsaw chains. One little touch into the dirt dulls them. Cutting aged dead big oak trees with centers so hard will kill your chains. And letting them get loose one time and jumping track will cause problems too.

But life without them is even tougher. Truly a modern convenience for which we can no longer live without.. :)

/ Echo 18" CS420 - Chain keeps popping off and getting burred up... #7  
The package the chains came in should ID the pitch and size of the chain. I would replace the chain with the one that fits the bar rather than replace the bar.

/ Echo 18" CS420 - Chain keeps popping off and getting burred up... #8  
What do you mean by Q you think they're different size?
You can count the links and hold side by side to check length , but you said you can get it tight on the bar so that's not the problem.
What do you mean they get burnt up?

Check your bar, that bar guides are even height and/or not bent. Check sprockets too.

The package the chains came in should ID the pitch and size of the chain. I would replace the chain with the one that fits the bar rather than replace the bar.

I found the paper...

It says it fits Echo 18" CS400, but the two chains from the box are bigger looking than the original Oregon chain.

In the 4 chain pic, top is still brand new, 2nd is Oregon, 3rd is the other one from the 2-pck, the bottom is off my Stihl 18" MS261 18"and it is longer/bigger...

Hmmm... I'm still confused.

David

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_110721772_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151114_110721772_HDR.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20151114_110902941.jpg
    IMG_20151114_110902941.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 207
Burred, not burnt.

The guides are getting chewed up and need to be deburred to go into the bar again...

David