Best Brand for the CC

/ Best Brand for the CC #1  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
I cut a crap load of wood. Mainly dead Red Elm, Assorted Oaks and Cherry. I burn 6-8 cords in my outdoor boiler every year. I use Stihl only but am thinking of trying other brands. My smallest saw is a 026 Pro 20" with a muffler mod. I doubt another brand could match it so I'll ask about the bigger saws I use. I have an 039 with Muf Mod 20" that is a light and powerful saw. My go to saw most often and sometimes I limb with it. The other is an 044 magnum muf mod 20" that is a beast. What's out there in the 039 and 044 size that may be a better choice for power and weight? I've really never used any other brands other than tiny homelite, poulan and craftsman 12-14" saws which were quickly discarded. ??

/ Best Brand for the CC #2  
If you want a big change, try a pro model Husqvarna. They have a different clutch design (outboard) than Stihl, so you will notice a difference in the way the saw handles (not saying one is better than the other, just that they are quite different). I have owned mostly Stihls in larger saws, and Echos in smaller saws, but Stihl has generally been a little weak in the 60cc range compared to other brands, so I bought a Husky 562XP. It covers what my Stihl 261 did, and starts to overlap with my Stihl 461. It's a light, nimble 60cc saw with a lot of guts. Completely humiliates the Stihl 362, which has been a real dog in Stihl's modern lineup.

I feel like the Husky has a few more plastic parts than the pro model Stihls, and I do not like the captive bar nuts (Stihl's are better), but those nitpicks fade out of sight when using the saw.

/ Best Brand for the CC #3  
I cut about 8-10 cord a year also and have been a Stihl user for 35 + years, nothing against any other saw, I just started with Stihl's and they never gave me a reason to change brands. My old 044 is wearing me out for limbing anymore, some how it's getting heavier.:laughing:
After reading glowing reports on some forestry/firewood forums, including from the Husky & Stihl devotee's, I got a little 50cc Echo for the smaller work. It's only a month or so old and so far I am completely satisfied without the consideration of the $350 price! I paid that much for the tank/handle part for the 044 3 years ago!
They have a 60cc "Timberwolf" for under $400 I think.

/ Best Brand for the CC #4  
I cut a cord or two a year, when my husqvarna 240 lost compression this year I got an early Christmas present, an Echo timberwolf. Read a lot of good reviews on it and it seems like a good value at $400. Only had it less then a month, but so far I really like it.

/ Best Brand for the CC #5  
Which saw (or both) are you looking to replace? I'm assuming your smaller saw but it never hurts to ask. What's more important? Weight, HP, ergonomics?

I've only used Stihl saws when a friend comes over with his. Recently we had a chance to compare my unmodded Dolmar 7900 with his 460. Each saw had it's good points but we both felt the Dolmar cut a little faster. But, as always, when you aren't doing a real scientific test the accuracy I'm sure isn't that great. I put a new piston and ring into my Husky 357xp and have been looking for excuses to burn fuel trough it to break it in, that saw never fails to impress me.

I'm the type of guy who adjusts to the equipment he's using so most ergonomics aren't a big deal. But I find that the Husky's kill switch is a much better design. It's very easy to reach to shut the saw off. Even stock the 7900 just flies through the wood. I run a 24" bar with a full chisel chain and it just slices through the wood. I haven't had the chance to drop a large red maple with it yet but I have no doubts about how easy it would be.

I would think a Husky 562xp would be a good saw to compare to your 039.

/ Best Brand for the CC
Which saw (or both) are you looking to replace? I'm assuming your smaller saw but it never hurts to ask. What's more important? Weight, HP, ergonomics?

I've only used Stihl saws when a friend comes over with his. Recently we had a chance to compare my unmodded Dolmar 7900 with his 460. Each saw had it's good points but we both felt the Dolmar cut a little faster. But, as always, when you aren't doing a real scientific test the accuracy I'm sure isn't that great. I put a new piston and ring into my Husky 357xp and have been looking for excuses to burn fuel trough it to break it in, that saw never fails to impress me.

I'm the type of guy who adjusts to the equipment he's using so most ergonomics aren't a big deal. But I find that the Husky's kill switch is a much better design. It's very easy to reach to shut the saw off. Even stock the 7900 just flies through the wood. I run a 24" bar with a full chisel chain and it just slices through the wood. I haven't had the chance to drop a large red maple with it yet but I have no doubts about how easy it would be.

I would think a Husky 562xp would be a good saw to compare to your 039.
Good. I looked at the 562XP today on line but I don't understand the outboard clutch and I wonder what the benefit would be. What about the 044 Mag. Is there a wood eater out there in that weight CC HP range. The 044 is 70cc and 5.4 hp and I am sized to run it. I'm not brand loyal and thinking Dolmar.

/ Best Brand for the CC #7  
I've had an Echo CS6700 (4.1CI now called the CS680) for 29 years...still have my 610 Pro Mac (3.7CI) which I bought 5 years before the Echo...all I've ever had to do to the Echo is change a plug (only a couple of times) and put a new clutch on it once...still starts like it was new..cool thing is the bar and chain are the same for both saws...I'll get a new Oregon for the Echo and "hand me down" the used one to the Pro Mac...I used to heat with wood, but in the last 2 years have propane fireplace in our new new house...BUT, I won't get rid of either of the saws as I now have only about 30 acres of woods....check out an Echo..I'm a believer. Bobg in VA

/ Best Brand for the CC #8  
Good. I looked at the 562XP today on line but I don't understand the outboard clutch and I wonder what the benefit would be. What about the 044 Mag. Is there a wood eater out there in that weight CC HP range. The 044 is 70cc and 5.4 hp and I am sized to run it. I'm not brand loyal and thinking Dolmar.
The Husqvarna 372XP is another good choice in this size saw. Lots of power, very good anti-vibs and good filtration. Just needs a Stihl chain & sprocket IMHO.

/ Best Brand for the CC #9  
Good. I looked at the 562XP today on line but I don't understand the outboard clutch and I wonder what the benefit would be.
I believe the main benefit is a narrower saw, Husky uses both designs.

/ Best Brand for the CC #10  
Narrower saw, and moves the rotational inertia to a location that's "supposedly" beneficial for handling.