New/First Saw search

/ New/First Saw search #21  
Your usage reads more like Harry Homeowner rather than Jock the Lumberjack. The Farmboss will probably fit you well. After some usage and when you learn the potential advantages of different saws you can probably get a used pro saw for the cost of the C-MQ. And it might not be a Stihl.

My first saw I bought was an 021 (35CC), at whatever the list price was about 20 years ago, for suburban use. Then about 2009 I won a modded 62CC John Deere, started doing CSM (chain saw milling) decided I needed a 90CC Stihl, bought a modded Stihl 660 for $500. Each step (35cc, 62CC, 90CC) was a major difference and has their good points. If I'm out clearing 6 inch trees for trail the 35CC is ideal. Much bigger I like my 62CC. If I'm felling a tree for my sawmill I usually use one of my 90CC 660's. If I'm doing CSM it's a 90CC saw or my 120CC 088.

If you do much sawing another saw that fits the size you need is not that expensive.

/ New/First Saw search #22  
I use my saw for harvesting logs for my woodstove while improving my view of the higher mountains beyond my 32 acres. I bought a Jonsered 2245 with 18" bar. It's great for felling, limbing and bucking anything under 16" but I really need just a little more HP for anything bigger. Very happy with the saw...but get one a notch beefier.

/ New/First Saw search #23  
If the OP plans to heat with wood, and wants to manage 6acres of wooded land, that will amount to a bit more than Harry Homeowner use. 6 acres of wood lot could easily be several cords of wood cut each year, and storm events could produce days of cutting, cutting your way out....assisting friends and neighbors who are also in need. I don't know what kind of area the OP has moved to, but that could also effect reliability/workhorse needs. My new place is just 20 miles from a city, but remote enough that the dirt road it is on gets deadfall across it multiple times a year. If any of my saws becomes finicky, I will sell it and buy a more reliable one. Where I live now is an established neighborhood. I have helped cut out a neighbor who had 1/4 mile driveway that had dozens of huge hardwoods blocking it after a storm ten years ago. The neighbor is quadriplegic. I had a 14 inch Poulan....I did my best....but it planted the seed in me that I needed a better saw.

/ New/First Saw search #24  
An excellent all around saw is the Husky 353. You'd have to find one used as they no longer make it. There was an absolute beauty on Ebay last week the guy wanted $330. It looked brand new and little used. The next saw up would be the Husky 550 XP. I'd get the Sthil 260 series in a heart beat. If you have a Tractor supply near by, look at the Jonsereds in the 50-55 cc range. Can't go wrong with an Echo in this saw class. The rest such as Tanaka, Efco, Solo, Dolmar, Shindawa, etc, all make good saws but dealership availability can be sparse.

If you are at a price point, I would find a 353 first, then the Jonsereds, then the Echo. All you need is an 18" bar with .325 chain and you'll be happy. Pictured are the Echo 490 and Jonsered 2253. and a 53cc Echo 500P (which I'd prefer). The pics came out small but you can look up the specs for each saw.

All the wood you see in this pic was cut with a Husky 50 Rancher with an 18" bar of 1985 vintage. Largest stem here (is buried and cannot be seen) is 26" but have cut 30-35 inchers with it in a pinch. Most wood here in the 14-18" range.

That being said, I do not think I would consider anything less than a 57-60cc saw for bucking and if having to get one saw, would do so in this range. Still , an 18" bar should more than suffice.

The last step of course is to go and handle some saws to see what fits you best.

Attachments

• 352ab719-8da7-4af3-8c5c-ce4ad6f3dd2d_145.jpg
    352ab719-8da7-4af3-8c5c-ce4ad6f3dd2d_145.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 130
  • th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 139
  • cs450.png
    cs450.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2218.JPG
    IMG_2218.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
   / New/First Saw search #25  
Yo Spoon,
You had better have a big tractor and small trees if you think you are going to push them down with the tractor!

The suggestions for a pro Stihl like the 261m are right on. So is the suggestion to get a cheaper echo and learn to use it. I might find the first saw gets some bad wear ;)
The Echos are better saws than the price would suggest, but I haven't tried their newer stuff.

I would probably stay away from the stuff they sell in home improvement stores.

I also second the suggestion to get some good safety gear, especially for a beginner. Chaps and one of the hardhats with built-in ear protection and face screen are a must. I have had a few limbs come down on my head when felling trees. There is a lot of stuff that can be lodged up in the tree and come down when the tree is being cut. My hard hat has some deep scratches to prove it.

buy some plastic wedges. I guarantee you will get your saw pinched in the tree and without wedges and a hatchet you will be stuck!
Also, I really prefer to finish the fall with a wedge instead of the saw. Use plastic wedges because they won't hurt your chain/bar when you hit them.

Fiskar makes a really nice logging axe. I always take mine and stick a few wedges in my pocket.

/ New/First Saw search #26  
Hello everyone,
I've been reading the forum for awhile and am looking to get my first saw. I finally have about 10 acres of land,...........As the (modified) saying goes, the most expensive tool is the cheapest PoS you buy, so I'm not opposed to spending a bit more to get something that won't break down all the time or have to be replace. I'm also not throwing out craigslist finds, but at the moment, I don't really have the means to repair a "great find" so I'll need something in working condition, though I'm also not sure what I should look for.

So, if you have any help it helping me pick out/decide it would be appreciated. If I need to supply more info, I can do that too if requested.

/edit: No wood burner at the moment, so the saw would just be used for felling/stacking of the logs. We do plan on having a fireplace in the next couple of years though to burn the wood.

Thanks,
Nelson

I skimmed all the posts so far and lots of good info:

one recommendation I would like to second: get acquainted with the local saw shop that sells to professionals. Even if you aren't they will probably treat you right if you ask questions and give them a chance to help you. You will value the good relationship with the saw shop for a long time.

Next: consider renting a couple different saws and checking them out really well before you buy one.

Good luck and let us know what you get and post pictures.

/ New/First Saw search #27  
I'd buy a 261 or 241 CM and skip the extra chain brake.

Anyone have a 241? They look to be good saws and I almost bought one. If I didn't have a 261, I might have. I thought about a 241 with a 10" bar and getting rid of my top handle 192. Other saw is a 441. All Stihl.

/ New/First Saw search #28  
Anyone have a 241? They look to be good saws and I almost bought one. If I didn't have a 261, I might have. I thought about a 241 with a 10" bar and getting rid of my top handle 192. Other saw is a 441. All Stihl.

I wish I did! Stihl lists the weights as 9.9# and 11.6# respectively (powerhead only). That's a pretty big weight difference. HP ratings are 3.1 and 3.9 bhp. For me, I've got two larger saws, Stihl 036 and 460, so as soon as I start bucking, I'm pretty much gonna make the switch to a bigger saw. In my case, I think I'd really like the reduced weight of the 241, but if someone didn't have the bigger saws, or had just one bigger saw, the 261 might be more attractive. It's a pretty decent HP gain for $50. I've never used one, but have read very good detailed reports of using both in actual daily logging from members at a different site. I said in one thread (maybe this one) if my Shindaiwa 488 died today, I'd be in line this week to buy a 241.

/ New/First Saw search #29  

I wouldn't go shorter than a 14" bar on a 241 -- it would feel awkward, as the saw powerhead is still fairly long. It's a nice saw, good power, but much more plastic in the case than normal for a Stihl pro saw.

/ New/First Saw search
Thanks again everyone.

In my mind, the safety gear was a must. I didn't even question if it was going to be worth it. If I'm going to be acting the part, I might as well be safe while doing it.

slaveToHorses - I hadn't thought about wedges though, and getting my saw stuck in a tree was a concern of mine, I'll add that to the list.

Anyhow, it appears the big thing is to find a good brand in the 50hp 16"-18" and get the saw. Before i had asked for thoughts/suggestions I had the Jonsered 2253 on my list, so I'm glad to know I wasn't completely off in my thoughts. I've also added the Stihl 271 Farmboss to my list too and an probably leaning a bit that way.

I'll hope to report back