New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience)

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #11  
I switched my 550xp to 3/8 chain, 16" bar, and I absolutely LOVE that saw/combo!

standard.jpg

It just works perfect every time I use it, and the 3/8 chain is a BIG improvement too.

SR

Exactly what I was thinking about doing when I purchase a 550XP to compliment the 562XP and old 353.

Can you provide the parts used for the bar and chain?

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #12  
To switch, all you need is a small spline 3/8 drive sprocket, bar and chain... Any Husky dealer should have one...

I love the way mine cuts! Here's some oak blocks I split a few days ago,

standard.jpg

It cuts like crazy!

SR

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #13  
About two months ago, I decided to do some reading/research towards an upgrade to a new chainsaw.

Currently owning bigger saws, a (357xp and 372xp) and a smaller saws (350(older) and T540 top handle) I decided to pick up a new 550XP with a 20" bar.

It was not without apprehension, because of the volume of complaints that have been posted about this saw. (I had three different dealers try and steer me towards Stihl and Echo saws, even though I said I wanted to stick with a Husqvarna brand)

During my first tank of gas, I experienced the dreaded "hot start" problem. I was in quite a fret that evening, needless to say, and was prepared to take the saw back for a refund.

After spending more time on the internet, getting tips both here on Tractor by Net and other forums like the Arborist, I learned that I was not using the saw properly as per directions, so I made notes on a piece of paper to take with me.

Next day, I fired it up, found a big log, and cut "cookies" for 3 or 4 minutes, holding the throttle wide open. Within the first minute, and the saw began to cut like on steroids, but I kept it pinned for the full duration as told as per directions. Cookie after cookie... must have cut about 3 dozen of them.....Apparently the saw's computer has to judge and set the mixture based on ambient conditions.

After this "computer set", the saw is incredible.

It will sit there and idle happily if that's what you want.

Or you can work it real hard and instantly shut it off "hot".

The "hot start" issue is now a non issue. Just follow the procedure, set the high idle, de-compress, purge and it one pull start every time.

I even tried a deliberate hot flood. No problem. Hold it wide open and she will start on about 4 or 5 pulls.

This saw is lightweight, great power, starts and runs reliably, no smoke at all.

I am a fussy old bugger and it is not often I am "as tickled" about something I purchased.

Thought I would share my.... initial frustration -turned - to - joy experience..... This is a great saw.

You should have listened

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #14  
   / New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #15  
This afternoon my Husqvarna 550xp would only start on choke and as soon as I hit the trigger couple times, it stalls out, time after time, after half hour I got my sons Stihl 291 to cut some wood. My saw has been on my tractor outside under a lean-too, couple cold nights, 15F. Last week the saw ran good, this afternoon, fill tank up, and all it does is start&stop, sounds like not getting gas to me, why? fuel line froze, broken fuel line, filter plugged, Donald *****? anyone had this problem? this is the first time my saw has acted this way.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #16  
This afternoon my Husqvarna 550xp would only start on choke and as soon as I hit the trigger couple times, it stalls out, time after time, after half hour I got my sons Stihl 291 to cut some wood. My saw has been on my tractor outside under a lean-too, couple cold nights, 15F. Last week the saw ran good, this afternoon, fill tank up, and all it does is start&stop, sounds like not getting gas to me, why? fuel line froze, broken fuel line, filter plugged, Donald *****? anyone had this problem? this is the first time my saw has acted this way.
A lot of people would say it's trumps fault!

In order to re-start hot it has to be on half choke.
Sorry, re-read I guess you have a cold start problem. Maybe drain the gas in case of condensation in tank?

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #17  
My three year old 562XP runs great if I do my part, but is touchy to hot start conditions. I had a similar problem as you are having last summer with a 12 year old Husqvarna string trimmer. I adjusted the mixture screws and that helped a small amount but got worse quickly. So over the span of two days went from running okay to fiddling with mixture screws to a no start condition. Changed plug to no avail. Then I tore it down enough to see the fuel line was cracked. Did not look like much fun to finish disassembly, was busy, so I took it it a dealer repair shop. Ended up being fuel line and primer bulb.

Or as many other things, could be *****'s fault due to osmosis.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #18  
My three year old 562XP runs great if I do my part, but is touchy to hot start conditions. I had a similar problem as you are having last summer with a 12 year old Husqvarna string trimmer. I adjusted the mixture screws and that helped a small amount but got worse quickly. So over the span of two days went from running okay to fiddling with mixture screws to a no start condition. Changed plug to no avail. Then I tore it down enough to see the fuel line was cracked. Did not look like much fun to finish disassembly, was busy, so I took it it a dealer repair shop. Ended up being fuel line and primer bulb.

Or as many other things, could be *****'s fault due to osmosis.

Cracked fuel lines are very common with ethanol in the fuel. I've replaced a half dozen of them on my saws. The newer ones seem to have better lines, that aren't as susceptible to ethanol.

If your saw bogs as soon as you hit the throttle, like it is running out of fuel, cracked fuel lines are a likely cause. They require a bit of disassembly on some saws to replace.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #19  
Cracked fuel lines are very common with ethanol in the fuel. I've replaced a half dozen of them on my saws. The newer ones seem to have better lines, that aren't as susceptible to ethanol.

If your saw bogs as soon as you hit the throttle, like it is running out of fuel, cracked fuel lines are a likely cause. They require a bit of disassembly on some saws to replace.

That's what I'm leaning too, if the fuel line was froze, why would the saw start on choke. How does one find where the fuel line has a crack, is in the tank, or near carburetor? I'll be checking it out this Sat.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #20  
That's what I'm leaning too, if the fuel line was froze, why would the saw start on choke. How does one find where the fuel line has a crack, is in the tank, or near carburetor? I'll be checking it out this Sat.

Choke will make it run (kinda) because it restricts the air flow, and hence arrives at a flammable air/fuel ratio, which is required for the saw to run.

The only way I've found cracks is by disassembly - you can often pull the lines through grommets to be able to check out the line along the entire length without removing it, but it takes some disassembly to get to that point. Look for cracks near sharp bends. Where the lines hook to the carb, by grommets into the tank, etc.